Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Is it possible to Add .azw1 files to calibre?

A few minutes ago I tried to add an .azw1 ebook to calibre by clicking on the Add button, navigating to where I had the file, and double clicking the file. Nothing happened, and the windmill did not go round. This procedure has worked for many other files.

If it is possible to add azw1 files to calibre is the procedure above the best way? What am I doing wrong?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What happens if you drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer onto the Calibre window?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What happens if you drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer onto the Calibre window?
Nothing - just the same as using the Add button.

By the way, I don't know if this is important, but I copied the ebook from my Kindle to the computer desktop. It doesn's show the blue book icon either on the Kindle or the desktop, but it does if I rename it to azw - which calibre wouldn't add, and it wouldn't open in Kindle for PC.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre should import AZW1 files just fine. But just know that those are typically TOPAZ ebooks, and without the intervention of certain unmentionable plugins, calibre won't be able to do anything with them after you import them (other than edit the metadata and transfer it to the device it was intended to be read on). It won't be able to convert them even if you found one that was DRM-free (and a DRM-free TOPAZ book in the wild is more rare than a blue-speckled pup).

Quote:
By the way, I don't know if this is important, but I copied the ebook from my Kindle to the computer desktop. It doesn's show the blue book icon either on the Kindle or the desktop, but it does if I rename it to azw - which calibre wouldn't add, and it wouldn't open in Kindle for PC.
If you copied it directly from your Kindle, there's no way Kindle for PC will be able to read it... regardless of the file extension. It's a Topaz book that's DRM encrypted for your Kindle 3.

Is that exact file readable on your K3 (with the AZW1 extension)?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-11-2012 at 09:56 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest downloading a new copy via K4PC and try importing that one. As DiapDealer says, it is a TOPAZ and it will almost certainly have DRM. So importing to Calibre only really makes sense if you have the Kindle DRM-stripping 3rd party plugin for Calibre installed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. It's hard to whisper behind one's hand on a computer, but I do have the unmentionable thingy plugged in - I just didn't want to admit to it in public.

The azw1 file in question is readable on my Kindle 3.

My computer runs Windows 7 if that makes any difference. I have Kindle for PC set up to automatically update, have downloaded the azw1 file again through Kindle for PC, and have tried to Add files in calibre directly from the My Kindle Content folder. Still no success.

Can I take it that you gentlemen have been able to Add azw1 files to the calibre library? I would like to know this definitely - if you can and I can't there must be something wrong with my set up or my technique.

I checked the My Kindle Content folder, and the file is the only azw1 file there. It doesn't show the blue book icon; is this typical of azw1 files? Again, if your azw1 files show the blue book icon and mine doesn't there must be something wrong in my set up or technique.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Which ebook is causing the problem? I can try adding the sample to Calibre.

I downloaded a TOPAZ from Amazon via K4PC and re-imported it into Calibre. As expected, it showed up as a HTMLZ. Note that it had the extension .azw in My Kindle Content, even though it was a TOPAZ. Make sure you tried to import the K4PC version, and not the K3 version again by mistake.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A wallcraft mentioned, most of my TOPAZ books download as AZW to the Kindle for PC app, the only time I've run into AZW1 is when TOPAZ books were downloaded to the Kindle Device itself.

But regardless of DRM and any plugins, you still should be able to add an AZW1 file to calibre, and it sounds like you can't. That's where you need to start.

Since we're not allowed to discuss the details of DRM removal... I would suggest temporarily disabling the unmentionable plugin. Then start calibre in debug mode from a command prompt using "calibre-debug -g" (without the quotes of course). If you then try to add the AZW1 file to calibre normally, you should be able to post any relevant output that shows up in that command prompt window. Make sure to redact any personal info (or any DRM removal related stuff) before posting. Just looking for normal calibre import debug info here.

(And yes... azw1 files show up as having no associated program on my PC. That's normal.)
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again to you both.

I've erased all the files of that book from my computer, so will need to start over.

I'll see if I can download the ebook again to the My Kindle Content folder, and see if I can import it again.

If that doesn't work I'll try your debug suggestion, DiapDealer - though I'm reluctant to mess around with it now that it's working.