Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #181
AsVHEn
AsVHEn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G 5.1.0
I have tried last test bin.
It's erased when I unplug kindle. And I tried to copy it, update_simple_screensaver_1.0_install.bin and update_simple_usbnet_1.1_install.bin. Only yours is deleted.
With force install that's log:

Code:
[root@kindle root]# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1
[root@kindle root]# showlog -f
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: W ota_monitor:rescanOTAMonitorWarn:reason=validateOTAHeaderFailed:
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: I ota_monitor:getPatchRev:patchRev=0:
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: I url_builder:HandlerExists::Adding/Updating property to handler
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: E ota_monitor:GetApplicableUpdateFailed:reason=noUpdatesAvailable:Trying to install null update_file object.
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: W ota_monitor:InstallSystemUpdateRetryScanWarning:retryCount=1:Found invalid update, rescanning filesystem.
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: I ota_monitor:getPatchRev:patchRev=0:
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: I url_builder:HandlerExists::Adding/Updating property to handler
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: E ota_monitor:InstallSystemUpdateFailed:reason=invalidUpdateFound:Trying to install null update_file object.
   120508:195934 ota[4482]: E ota_lipc:StartUpdateFailed:reason=installUpdateFailed:Unable to install the system update.
   120508:195934 cvm[1356]: I SearchSDK:INDEXING_BOOK_START:path=y545e5c5cefddac6bafaaba0f25f27562:
AsVHEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #182
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Yeah, I suspected that

Ok, here is my last attempt at this, before I give up...

I'll send you another update binary in a minute. Please test this one as well.
It has *failed* on my Kindle with the error message below (yes, I revived it, and yes, I expected the failure). But maybe it works on yours.
Code:
120508:190327 ota[945]: E ota_monitor:GetApplicableUpdateFailed:reason=noUpdatesAvailable:Trying to install null update_file object.
120508:190327 ota[945]: I ota_check:validateOTAHeader:status=starting:Starting OTA Check
120508:190327 ota[945]: E ota_check:validateOTAHeaderFailed:reason=deviceCodeMismatch:
120508:190327 ota[945]: W ota_monitor:rescanOTAMonitorWarn:reason=validateOTAHeaderFailed:
120508:190327 ota[945]: I ota_monitor:getPatchRev:patchRev=0:
120508:190327 ota[945]: I url_builder:HandlerExists::Adding/Updating property to handler
120508:190327 ota[945]: E ota_monitor:GetApplicableUpdateFailed:reason=noUpdatesAvailable:Trying to install null update_file object.
120508:190327 ota[945]: W ota_monitor:InstallSystemUpdateRetryScanWarning:retryCount=1:Found invalid update, rescanning filesystem.
120508:190327 ota[945]: I ota_monitor:getPatchRev:patchRev=0:
120508:190327 ota[945]: I url_builder:HandlerExists::Adding/Updating property to handler
120508:190327 ota[945]: E ota_monitor:InstallSystemUpdateFailed:reason=invalidUpdateFound:Trying to install null update_file object.
120508:190327 ota[945]: E ota_lipc:StartUpdateFailed:reason=installUpdateFailed:Unable to install the system update.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #183
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@AsVHEn: You mentioned that it's a 3G model, what's the beginning of the S/N?

It's probable that they ended up going with multiple sim cards, like the K3, where we had two, and thus we ended up with two different K3G device codes to differentiate them.

I can't check this myself, because I got a Wifi one this time around . (And I wouldn't necessarily be a good test subject anyway, because even though it was shipped to France, I ended up with the US K3G last time around ).

(And, indeed yifanlu's usbnet package supports *3* different device codes, not 2, and the official 5.1.0 update supports *4*).

EDIT: After hacking around a bit with KindleTool, let's try this (.bin attached). Hopefully, it should run on all K5 devices known to man (well, the same as the 5.1.0 update, at least).

I'd still be happy to know the beggining of your S/N, which I guess would be B010...

EDIT²: Deleted deprecated attachment .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-10-2012 at 02:12 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #184
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
After hacking around a bit with KindleTool, let's try this (.bin attached). Hopefully, it should run on all K5 devices known to man (well, the same as the 5.1.0 update, at least).

I'd still be happy to know the beggining of your S/N, which I guess would be B010...
Thanks for stepping in, NiLuJe.

Although I'm not 100% sure, I think that the "allowing"/"disallowing" is caused by the "device compatibility flags" of the update packages (read: of what the respective "kindletool" writes), which is what I was trying to find out with my previous posts. Let's just wait and see if your version works everywhere -- I sincerely hope so, but we need more feedback on that.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #185
AsVHEn

Correct SN: B010 2601 ... and your .bin works too, impressive . I owe you a beer at least.
ixtab yours was deleted again but of course you have a beer or whatever you want paid .
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #186
ixtab
(offline)

@NiLuJe: it seems like you have now unofficially been awarded the "medal of the only correctly-working kindletool".

I don't know how to proceed, because on one hand, I would like to include your solution in my build process, on the other hand, you're practically forcing me to upgrade to some bleeding-edge distribution (welcome DLL hell, revisited...) . Any chance of a statically compiled kindletool, or an alternative that does not depend on the latest development versions of libarchive?

Last edited by ixtab; 05-08-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #187
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: Yep, it works essentially the same as before (OTA V1), in that it matches the device code found in the header with the one of the device (which, incidentally, has so far been visible as the beginning of the S/N), except we can now put more than one device id in OTA V2 headers. (We control what we write in there with the -d flag in kindletool, and the --${model} flag in the python tool). [AFAICT, the validation is done on the touch with the whole otacheck/libotacheck stuff].

So, at least now we have confirmation that there *are* B010 KT in the wild, but I don't know what the B012 mentionned in the 5.1.0 update are... Another Intl. sim card? A prototype? .

On the libarchive front, you have a couple of solutions:

1/ Backport it 'the right way' via your distribution PMS.
2/ Build it manually, and put the headers (archive.h / archive_entry.h) in an includes folder (KindleTool/KindleTool/includes), and the static lib (libarchive.a) in the lib folder (KindleTool/KindleTool/lib), the makefile should pick that one up instead of the system's.
3/ I build a fully static version and hope for the best that it'll run mostly everywhere.

I guess the 'build it manually' solution might be the easier to implement, especially if you don't want to mess with your package manager (and/or if a backport package isn't available/a pita to build).

In the meantime, since it can't hurt, I can build a static version if you don't want to bother with all that, it shouldn't take much time .

(Because, yeah, unfortunately, I kinda need the stuff from the libarchive 3 API, I didn't think it was *that* new, sorry ^^)

EDIT: First attempt at a static binary! This one *should* work on every x86/i686 Linux box out there, provided it's at least running kernel 2.6.39, glibc-2.6 and openssl-1 (I only statically linked libarchive to save some space, and, err, because I simply don't have anything built statically on my system ). If openssl-1 is too recent, I'll build another one against 0.9.8.

EDIT²:
Here goes... openssl-0.9.8, glibc-2.6.

EDIT^3: The binaries have moved to KindleTool's new home .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Moved
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #188
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
EDIT²:
Here goes... openssl-0.9.8, glibc-2.6.
Thanks a ton for that!

I had been trying to compile libarchive3 on my current system, but it kept bailing out with some obscure errors due to some ACL* stuff not found. C headers are a nightmare if you dare to be interested in something newer than your distro supports. (And yes, Java .jars can be just as well).

I have quickly tested the last attached version (openssl-0.9.8/glibc-2.6), and it seems to work like a charm (I simply included all -d k5* flags EXCEPT the one I knew was affecting my device, and it failed. Then I included all of them, and it worked. So I suppose you got it right )

I didn't test all of the features, and I need some sleep now, but I guess I'll switch over to your tool real soon. In the mean time, would you mind updating the Wiki page (the kindletool section, that is)?

Again, thanks a lot!

PS: Just thinking aloud: I also think that new kindletool is worthy of its own thread (in analogy to other important tools/tricks/etc.), so it can easily be found, referenced to, and have its information kept up-to-date in the first post.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #189
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Cool, thanks for the feedback .

I built a minimal libarchive, no acl/xattr, only zlib, primarily to cut back on the size, but also to avoid pulling stuff that might not be available on every system, so you might want to try this too:

Code:
./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-xattr --disable-acl --with-zlib --without-bz2lib --without-lzmadec --without-iconv --without-lzma --without-nettle --without-expat --without-xml2
(libarchive also supports the cmake build system, but the deps seem to be 'automagic' there, so a bit more painful to fine tune...).

I'll check the wiki, see what needs updating, thanks for pointing it out!

As for a dedicated thread, why not, AFAICT, there wasn't one for yifanlu's, it was thrown in the KT 5.0.0 JB thread, so, yeah, I'll probably do that, because the other choice is to bump the oooooooold python tool thread, which doesn't make much sense...

Keep in mind that I have no idea if it actually still builds/works on Cygwin/OS X, so there's that to take into account
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #190
AsVHEn

I copied every extension to try, and only Draw works (others didn't show in laucher's menu) besides 2 included with launcher. It's a matter of versions too?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #191
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@ixtab: Cool, thanks for the feedback .

I built a minimal libarchive, no acl/xattr, only zlib, primarily to cut back on the size, but also to avoid pulling stuff that might not be available on every system, so you might want to try this too:

Code:
./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-xattr --disable-acl --with-zlib --without-bz2lib --without-lzmadec --without-iconv --without-lzma --without-nettle --without-expat --without-xml2
(libarchive also supports the cmake build system, but the deps seem to be 'automagic' there, so a bit more painful to fine tune...).
Since libarchive is a BSD project/package, you have been swimming upstream. (It is the library behind bsdtar.)

Quote:
Keep in mind that I have no idea if it actually still builds/works on Cygwin/OS X, so there's that to take into account
Since OS X is much, much closer to BSD than Linux ever will be, you will be swimming downstream here. You already did the hard part (above).

I wouldn't worry to much about Cygwin support.

Last edited by knc1; 05-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #192
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Yeah, ironically enough, the fact that it was a bsd project is what led me to believe 'Naaaah, it's old enough, the API should be stable'... ^^ Oops?

(That and the fact that I'm a bit spoiled on Gentoo... ^^)
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #193
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
@knc1: Yeah, ironically enough, the fact that it was a bsd project is what led me to believe 'Naaaah, it's old enough, the API should be stable'... ^^ Oops?

(That and the fact that I'm a bit spoiled on Gentoo... ^^)
... I used Gentoo some 7 years ago, but then switched to Ubuntu. It's not that I don't like Gentoo (indeed, I learned a lot while using it, and a rolling release does have its benefits), but in the end I had the impression that at least 90% of its processing power went into compiling its own updates . For day-to-day use, I still prefer my Ubuntu (though I'm sticking with 10.4 for the time being, because I don't really like where the new versions are going).

That said, I didn't manage to compile libarchive3 on it (with your suggested configure flags, make goes through fine -- until the final linking, where it complains about some of its own symbols not being found ) - too much of a hassle to track this down. I'm now installing Gentoo in a VM
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #194
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.2.1 is out. There have been no functional changes, except for removing two obsolete lines in the orientation extension, and for supporting installation on a larger variety of KT models. In other words: there is no urgent need to upgrade.

Download.

UPDATE / Documentation:
I just realized that the included documentation isn't really useful for newcomers who never installed a hack on their Kindles. No worries, it's really simple:
  1. Plug the Kindle to your computer.
  2. Copy the file named "update_launcher_1.2.1_install.bin" to your Kindle. Make sure to place it directly in the top-level directory, not in the "documents" subdirectory or in any other subdirectory.
  3. Safely eject the Kindle from the computer.
  4. On the Kindle, choose Menu -> Settings, then Menu -> Update Your Kindle.

Last edited by ixtab; 06-02-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #195
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Ah, the joy of building stuff by hand on a binary distro...

That's one of the reason I switched to Gentoo in the first place (that, and my uncanny ability to make rpm package managers wreak complete havoc on a system, and having only slightly less trouble with apt/dpkg ^^).

That was a while ago though, things have improved since then, on both sides (at least, I hope, for the sake of RPM based distros... ).

But yeah, Gentoo (especially a ~arch setup) has its moments, and you certainly have to learn how a lot of stuff is supposed to work to make it work/get out of trouble... But the huge multi-core CPUs of our time certainly improved the experience ^^.

On the downside, it can eat a considerably larger time to maintain than a Debian system, but I like the power/control it gives you over your setup .

Anyway, I'll keep updating the static builds, now that the 'worst' of it is done (building openssl-0.9.8), it takes less than a minute to build & package . [They're still attached in post #187, until we get a more definitive home for KindleTool (Meaning when I get the courage to start a dedicated thread ^^)].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-09-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks