Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
CharlieBird
┐Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7(2013), Galaxy Note 2 & Note 8, Sony Tab S
PE battery*

My original PE is less that a month and a year old and the battery seems to be noticeably deteriorating. Is this what others are experiencing?

I use it pretty much daily and recharge it daily. I frequently let the battery completely discharge although it is not clear to me if that is necessary as I've read several different views on this.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has replaced the battery in their PE; if so, with what, the Eee PC T91? There seem to be two different batteries listed on the Cheap Laptop Batteries link [http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...to_threadtools] provided by vicinc in the November thread. Level of difficulty?

*There is already at least one other battery thread but I chose to follow the "Old Thread Warning" recommending beginning a new discussion.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
So far I've not been able to find any good pictures that give exact overall size and connector size and positioning, without those my parts guy hasn't got anything to go on to find a replacement. There are two main requirements for a replacement - overall size (it has to be able to fit) and the most important, the connector (correct size and placement as well as the same voltage on the same pins). Get those two right and the actual physical replacement is easy.

There is really no need to completely discharge the battery before recharging with this type of battery. In fact, there are some reports that say doing so shortens the life.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
CharlieBird
┐Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
So far I've not been able to find any good pictures that give exact overall size and connector size and positioning, without those my parts guy hasn't got anything to go on to find a replacement. There are two main requirements for a replacement - overall size (it has to be able to fit) and the most important, the connector (correct size and placement as well as the same voltage on the same pins). Get those two right and the actual physical replacement is easy.

There is really no need to completely discharge the battery before recharging with this type of battery. In fact, there are some reports that say doing so shortens the life.
So you're thinking that the Eee PC T91 is not for sure? Given there are so many in use seems odd no one has replaced a battery yet.

Think I'll watch for a cheap "basket-case" on eBay and have it shipped to you since I don't know how to do pictures for uploading to the forum. Would that be okay? I suppose if my dies soon I'll take it apart and go from there w/how to get info to you.
thanks for input.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
So you're thinking that the Eee PC T91 is not for sure? Given there are so many in use seems odd no one has replaced a battery yet.

Think I'll watch for a cheap "basket-case" on eBay and have it shipped to you since I don't know how to do pictures for uploading to the forum. Would that be okay? I suppose if my dies soon I'll take it apart and go from there w/how to get info to you.
thanks for input.
We can't be sure of any replacement until the voltage on the connector pins and their positioning on a PE are known. Get those wrong and it is usually blue smoke time.

Several people have had their PEs apart, some have taken photos but in no case has anyone given any information on the connector. There are several batteries that almost fit the physical overall dimensions and capacity - we have some of them here, the only problem is that the connectors are different. The different connectors are the manufacturers way of making you buy their replacement battery and not a cheap generic replacement.

It's not strange that no one has had to replace a battery yet. With normal usage this type of battery should have a minimum life expectancy of at least 5 years.

If you have cause to take your PE apart and you know how to use a volt meter and a ruler then a sketch giving the placement and voltage of the connector pins and its physical size and placement would allow my parts guy to come up with a replacement that would work.

I would ask anyone reading this that might have cause to open a PE - get me the above information and I might be able to say what the replacement could be.

Without that information I'm not prepared to give any advice because if it is wrong someone will try the law route - something I've been able to steer clear of because of the way we work.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
CharlieBird
┐Huh?

Okay, I understand better what you're saying. Maybe I'm anticipating a problem that has yet to arrive since it's only had a year of what I would call normal usage.

I'm always hanging around here so I'll keep a lookout for any developments. I also understand your caution...also just noticed your location! not sure I want to be mailing "junk-stuff" to France.
thanks, ivanjt