Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Is this a pirate site?

There is a site [deleted] which purports to be offering free of pdfs of ebooks - one of which is an ebook for which I did the ebook design. There are ebooks from other publishers - like HarperCollins - for which free pdfs are offered.

It's a weird looking site, with a weird variety of ebooks offered. One can't download anything or make the search engine work without being logged in, but I certainly don't want to give my email address to a site like this so haven't logged in.

Does anyone else know of this site?

Regards, Alex

Last edited by HarryT; 05-08-2012 at 06:06 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Yes, it's a pirate site. Name deleted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Ha. Thought the thread title was referring to MR. Had to come and take a look. This must be the straightest site on the net.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
No, that would be Kindle Boards where people get in a tizzy if you mention the idea of stripping DRM. You will see posts from Mods right after saying that it is a violation of Kindle's TOS and possibly illegal and the like at just the mention of stripping DRM.

I love the board, the people are great and it is very polite, but it makes Mobile Reads look like a bastion of wanna be pirates and neredowells.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
This is a pirate site
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
No, that would be Kindle Boards where people get in a tizzy if you mention the idea of stripping DRM. You will see posts from Mods right after saying that it is a violation of Kindle's TOS and possibly illegal and the like at just the mention of stripping DRM.
What board is this? Kindleboards.com or the official Kindle messaging boards over at Amazon? Or something else entirely?
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindleboards.com

It is a great place to go for general Kindle discussion. The people are very friendly and helpful and informative. But there are very strict rules on discussing anything that violates Amazon's Terms of Service or that could be illegal. So you will not find much discussion of removing DRM, pros and cons, or rooting devices, or hacking devices, or anything along those lines. And no swearing or anything not family friendly.

I post there frequently. There are a lot of positives but they are very clear about what you can and cannot discuss.

Awesome discussion of all things accessories. If you are looking for a cover, purse, bag, screen protector, or the like you will find it there. The major brands all post there frequently with product updates and the like. There is a decent amount of member cross over.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I post there frequently. There are a lot of positives but they are very clear about what you can and cannot discuss.
I post there once in awhile; but things have really slowed down over there. Why is that?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

My opinion, there is only so much talk you can have about one device and the discussion of other devices is very limited, for good reason. Most people who find that site are Kindle users.

You cannot discuss things like DRM removal, rooting, and the like because it violates KB rules. So some of the hot topics here are pretty much off the table there.

I think that sites like this do well because there are so many different devices represented which makes it easier to generate conversation and help.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is a pirate site
And this.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs down Oooo-er...

Quote:
Kindleboards.com............... The people are very friendly and helpful and informative. But there are very strict rules on discussing anything that violates Amazon's Terms of Service or that could be illegal. So you will not find much discussion of removing DRM, pros and cons, or rooting devices, or hacking devices, or anything along those lines. And no swearing or anything not family friendly.
I post there frequently. There are a lot of positives but they are very clear about what you can and cannot discuss. ................
To be honest, it sounds rather like that awful Disney village - the one where "niceness", always smiling, white picket fences, and lots of gingham are compulsory and picking your nose, feeling grumpy, and saying damn are breaches of the lease, and not whitening your teeth and an aversion to Bambi are capital offenses .....

Last edited by carpetmojo; 05-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Otis nothing like that. There are conflicts and people disagree. The writers cafe is the most active board on the site. It is a good place to go for help with a Kindle but you are not going to find the same type of in depth discussion that you get here. But if you are having technical problems, want to goof off, or talk to indie authors it is a great place.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
I found Kindleboards.com a while back and considered joining, but it was just too visually busy for me to put up with.

All the junk at the top I suppose I could've gotten used to, but every other person have huge signatures, making most threads look like Google image search threw up on it.

I don't doubt that the discussion taking place there can be engaging and fun, but so can conversations elsewhere. For me, making a website visually appealing should be one of the top priorities for webmasters, right after content and functionality.

If you don't, you risk alienating new visitors. I'm sure existing regulars don't care about too much about poor design, or they wouldn't have become regulars, but I suspect they wouldn't mind a site that's easy on the eyes either.

Last edited by K. Molen; 05-08-2012 at 07:27 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

You can turn signatures off and they have limited the size. (shrugs)

I started there before joining here. I am far more active here then I am there.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
I found Kindleboards.com a while back and considered joining, but it was just too visually busy for me to put up with.

All the junk at the top I suppose I could've gotten used to, but every other person have huge signatures, making most threads look like Google image search threw up on it.

I don't doubt that the discussion taking place there can be engaging and fun, but so can conversations elsewhere. For me, making a website visually appealing should be one of the top priorities for webmasters, right after content and functionality.

If you don't, you risk alienating new visitors. I'm sure existing regulars don't care about too much about poor design, or they wouldn't have become regulars, but I suspect they wouldn't mind a site that's easy on the eyes either.
This is why I don't hang out there anymore. Less is better
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote