Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #31
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
Current labeling of books as "Christian fiction" just seems to be a marketing code for "reading this will not cause you to question your faith or your worldview, so it is safe".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #32
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't blame people at all for labeling their stuff as religious, and I don't blame people who look for that label. Different strokes for different folks. C. S. Lewis was a religious science fiction writer-try "Out of the Silent Planet". As for the books, some are good, some are bad. If you are religious and have kids try, The Sugar Creek Gang series. There are some good books there.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #33
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
When I went into a Salvation Army used store one time, they had a shelf marked fiction. That was the section where they put the bibles. I thought it was very appropriate.

I avoid anything labelled as Christian but I have read good science fiction stories that dealt with Christianity.

One of the most memorable as Arthur C Clarke's short story, "The Star."

And another memorable one had clones of Jesus and Bhudda.

But neither one of these were specifically Christian fiction or science fiction.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
I agree with the mention of CS Lewis. I would consider him a fairly top-notch author who writes from a Christian perspective. (I actually just read "'Till we have faces" a few months ago and enjoyed it.) As with Christian music, movies, whatever (and undoubtedly this applies to other subset specialty groups as well - it's not a Christian-specific phenomenon) the problem is subrate artists that couldn't compete on the mass market are accepted in this more specialized niche. It creates a market for subrate art. It doesn't mean that all Christian artists are bad anymore than it means all secular artists are good, it just means it's easier to get your stuff out in a niche market so more crap results.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #35
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I despise them as much as the ones with the label Zombie or any other subculture preaching to the choir.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Current labeling of books as "Christian fiction" just seems to be a marketing code for "reading this will not cause you to question your faith or your worldview, so it is safe".
Yes, I think it is like labeling food Kosher. It has an appeal to those who hunger for purity, even if they're outside the targeted group.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #37
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I read one of the "Left Behind" series. It was free on Amazon. Unless you have a religious background, you most likely won't even understand what's happening in the novel. The writing is atrocious. The book serves as a platform for the author to preach his brand of dogma to the reader. Needless to say, I won't be reading any more of the series.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote