Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
darearkin
darearkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help finding something scifi to read!

So, Long story short, I'm on a scifi bender- but I'm completely out of books! So I need somethin' new.

For those of you who also play video games, the general 'feel' of mass effect 1 would be great; the feel that there's an expansive world behind it, at least some of the tech is viable, and humans aren't the -only- thing in the universe.

Bonus points if you can find romance in it, although I'd prefer that not be the ONLY thread in the book.

(For those of you who DON'T video game... a lot of Heinlein was close to some of this feel, but the stories I enjoyed most tended to be shorter and didn't let me have this 'expansive universe' feel.)

and if this is really vague- I understand it is. I'm having a hell of a time describing the feel I want. x.x apologies in advance for that part!

EDIT: (Forgot to mention. can we -avoid- anything with apocalyptic/dystopian threads, if possible? Thanks. x.x)

Last edited by darearkin; 05-07-2012 at 03:19 AM.
darearkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
How about David Brin's Uplift books? Playing through Mass Effect, I assumed the notion of races uplifting other races (like the Salarians uplifting the Krogans) was a nod to Brin.

Julian May's Galactic Milieu series also has some of the Mass Effect feel to it, especially in later books. And it also dovetails with her Pliocene Exile series, if you want a bit more fantasy with your sci-fi. It looks like all the Galactic Milieu/Pliocene Exile books are finally available as ebooks.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey. theres definitely some dead space/resident evil in the story with some of the mass effect crew dynamics.

"Humanity has colonized the planets - interstellar travel is still beyond our reach, but the solar system has become a dense network of colonies. But there are tensions - the mineral-rich outer planets resent their dependence on Earth and Mars and the political and military clout they wield over the Belt and beyond. Now, when Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motives behind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race."

Into the Black by Evan Currie. theres exploration, first contact and some of the action feels 'videogamey' i.e. using powered armor suits.

"Beyond the confines of our small world, far from the glow of our star, lies a galaxy and universe much larger and more varied than anyone on Earth can possibly imagine. For the new NAC spacecraft Odyssey and her crew, the unimaginable facets of this untouched world are about to become reality.

The Odyssey’s maiden voyage is an epic adventure destined to make history. Captain Eric Weston and his crew, pushing past the boundaries of security, encounter horrors, wonders, monsters, and people, all of which will test their resolve, challenge their abilities, and put in sharp relief what is necessary to be a hero.

A first-rate military science fiction epic that combines old-school space opera and modern storytelling, Into the Black: Odyssey One is a riveting, exhilarating adventure with vivid details, rich mythology, and relentless pacing that will leave you breathlessly awaiting book two."

Last edited by xg4bx; 05-07-2012 at 06:57 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
How about David Weber's Honor Harringtion series, get the first one On Balsick Station for free from baenebooks.com. There is a bit of romance through out the books, twice the main character Honor Harrington falls head over heals, although I would not call this a sci-fi/romance novels since the main thrust of the books is the sci-fi not the romance. I also conucrr with Kenny you need to give us some details on what you like to see in sci-fi novels. Personally I preferr a lot of action and chaces and explosions (of course what man doesn't)

Last edited by jbcohen; 05-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, hard to say without knowing what you have ALREADY read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by darearkin View Post
So, Long story short, I'm on a scifi bender- but I'm completely out of books! So I need somethin' new.

For those of you who also play video games, the general 'feel' of mass effect 1 would be great; the feel that there's an expansive world behind it, at least some of the tech is viable, and humans aren't the -only- thing in the universe.

Bonus points if you can find romance in it, although I'd prefer that not be the ONLY thread in the book.

(For those of you who DON'T video game... a lot of Heinlein was close to some of this feel, but the stories I enjoyed most tended to be shorter and didn't let me have this 'expansive universe' feel.)

and if this is really vague- I understand it is. I'm having a hell of a time describing the feel I want. x.x apologies in advance for that part!

EDIT: (Forgot to mention. can we -avoid- anything with apocalyptic/dystopian threads, if possible? Thanks. x.x)
Iain Banks? Wikipedia page. Though tech viability is not his strong point.

Like Kennyc said, its hard to recommend unless we know what you've read and liked, besides Heinlein + ME.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Not to mention not all of us are video gamers. I really know nothing about Mass Effect.

That being said, there is quite a bit of space opera that fits your most basic criteria. Alastair Renyolds Revelation Space Series is one that I have not seen mentioned yet and Gregory Benford's Galactic Center novels.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Dazrin
Wut?
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 3G, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How about David Weber's Honor Harringtion series, get the first one On Balsick Station for free from baenebooks.com.
I had heard of honor harrington, but since you mentioned this was free I thought I would check it out. Although "Balsick" station sounds ...interesting... ..."On Basilisk Station" is the actual name for anyone like me who is just trying out the series.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PRS-650, iPhone 4, iPad 4
Having played ME 1, 2, and 3 I'm thinking you are describing space opera, as a genre.

It does make it tough to recommend, not knowing what all you've already tried. How about Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky?"
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
darearkin
darearkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all the prompt answers!

Sorry about the vagueness on what I'd already read- I wrote that at about midnight last night, not really conscious. Honestly I've read very little in the space opera genre, sadly; most of what I had available to me is pretty much out of these criteria.

A lot of works based on video games, but those just aren't cutting it lately. Almost everything Heinlein. Ringworld which didn't do it for me (I know, everyone says it's great, but it didn't connect.)

The big thing is- I just can't FIND content like this here, and I've no idea how to! The local library's scifi section is basically two wall units and almost all older than the 70's, and the book stores around me closed down to the point where I'd have to go to another city to look!

And somehow my attempts to look up things in this vein always grab me the myriad star wars and star trek expansions. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them, but there's a point where that's not what I'm after.
darearkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
mewmartigan
Fanatic
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I had heard of honor harrington, but since you mentioned this was free I thought I would check it out. Although "Balsick" station sounds ...interesting... ..."On Basilisk Station" is the actual name for anyone like me who is just trying out the series.
I love the Honor Harrington series and On Basilisk Station is great!

I am not sure I would read On Balsick Station though

Having said all that, I'm not sure there are any alien races (ala Mass Effect) that I can think of besides the treecats.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
WillAdams
Guru
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union books may fit the bill here --- _Downbelow Station_ was a Hugo winner if memory serves.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
You could give John Ringo's Troy Rising Trilogy a try.
They're all available at Baen, starting with Live Free or Die.

They tell the tale of Earth's first contact with aliens, and it works out worse than our first contact with the Turrians in Mass Effect with humankind being bullied into giving our new "friends" pretty much all precious metals that we can get together.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
in a pinch there are Mass Effect novels, several of them.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I love the Honor Harrington series and On Basilisk Station is great!

I am not sure I would read On Balsick Station though

Having said all that, I'm not sure there are any alien races (ala Mass Effect) that I can think of besides the treecats.
Actually, there are aliens on Basilisk itself. They play a minor but significant role in the first novel. After that they are pretty much ignored. Essentially, with the exception of treecats, it is a very human centered universe.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote