Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Reader9000
Reader9000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
need help finding romance/mystery/suspence novels with morals

Okay, Im just kind of irritated. I started reading christian romance/mystery/suspense novels. But I dont want to be preached at, even thought Im a christian. I dont need that in my novels. Also im not against more that a kiss. Hopefully someone can help me! I dont know where to look for go novels where people arent just backstabbing and cheating and swearing all over the place either.

Any recommendations on authors i should check out would be great!
Reader9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
If you think you might like historical mysteries, especially ones with aviation and safari adventures in them, I recommend the Jade del Cameron series by Suzanne Arruda. They're set during the 1920s in the British East Africa colony that would become Kenya, and the author maintains a blog which tells you about the historical background that she incorporates into the books.

IIRC, they have no swearing beyond maybe a few mild hells and damns, there is a slow-growing romantic subplot that isn't too obtrusive, so you won't get annoying relationship drama but can see the characters get to know each other, there isn't much in the way of gory violence which is only briefly described, and there's no on-screen sex, and developing friendships and helping people in need are important in the stories.

If you don't mind occasional strong swearwords (maybe about 2-3 times per chapter at most), Barbara Hambly has two excellent historical fiction series, and 1 standalone novel which you may find of interest as it's set amongst early Christians in Rome and the stereotypes that people had about them back then.

Possibly her series written as Barbara Hamilton which is set just prior to the American Revolution, with future First Lady Abigail Adams as the amateur sleuth, will be most to your taste, as it is written from Adams' viewpoint, and not that many characters swear in front of a prominent society matron.

Her Benjamin January series set in antebellum New Orleans about a freed ex-slave educated as a physician and a musician is even better, but contains more violence and coarser language due to his life circumstances and the grittily realistic approach to the types of historical experience that tend to get overlooked or glossed over. However, if you think you can stand it, I highly recommend it as a truly excellent series with wonderful writing and clever whodunnits.

The standalone mystery Search the Seven Hills is, as mentioned, involves early Roman Christians and I don't particularly recall any serious swearing in it, though there might be the occasional words in a couple of sporadic scenes. ETA: Actually, this one may not be for you. It's got a brief scene of a somewhat orgiastic Roman dinner party in it, and the viewpoint characters are disgusted by the excesses which go on, but you'll probably find it too much for your personal taste.

Needless to say, there's no explicitly described onscreen sex in Hambly's detective novels and backstabbing and cheating are generally engaged in by the villains, or at least the characters who are revealed to be the villains, and there are subtle developing or ongoing romantic relationships in almost all her books, which generally emphasize compassion and understanding, in a secular way. She has some descriptions on her website, if you're interested.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-04-2012 at 01:48 AM.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
How explicit are you willing to deal with? I read a lot of romances with a wide range of heat levels & subgenres, but I'm not sure what qualifies as "Christian values."

Can look for "no swearing" and "no sleazy, vicious, or criminal behavior in the protagonists." Does it mean "no pre/extra-marital sex?" And if there is sexual activity, what level of explicit is okay? Does it matter if the characters are Christian, or is any book within the right range of content okay?

And are you looking for contemporary only, or are historicals okay?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623
I just finished reading "The Ranch on the Wolverine" by B.M. Bower (published 1914, and available at Project Gutenberg). It's billed as a Western, but really more of a Romance novel. Of course there are people behaving badly in it, but it's wholesome overall and insightful. Moral rectitude was more in literary fashion one hundred years ago, so old, public domain novels may be what you're looking for.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Cool Ummmm..........

" need help finding romance/mystery/suspence novels with morals "

Morals ?

Now where's the suspense in that .............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
GA Russell
Calgary wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
In regard to mysteries, some of the best hard-boiled mysteries are about "white knights" such as Dashiell Hammett's Continental Op and Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe. I think you would approve of all of Raymond Chandler's stories.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Libre Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader9000 View Post
Okay, Im just kind of irritated. I started reading christian romance/mystery/suspense novels. But I dont want to be preached at, even thought Im a christian. I dont need that in my novels. Also im not against more that a kiss. Hopefully someone can help me! I dont know where to look for go novels where people arent just backstabbing and cheating and swearing all over the place either.

Any recommendations on authors i should check out would be great!
What about some older writers like Victoria Holt, Phyllis A. Whitney, and Mary Stewart?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
Here is another suggestion:

The Mack Bolan saga of books at mackbolan.com are edge of your seat thrillers each one of them, if you can take the shooting of the bad guys. Mack has a code of morality that he sticks closely to: He has never ever shot a cop ever and if he can help it never allows a bystander or someone on his team to get dead. There has been plenty of times that a bystander has been shot, however there was nothing mack could do about the matter. He has had several team mates killed in the line of duty but its not like he could do anything about it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Mack Bolan?? He's an executioner and there are explicit sex scenes sprinkled in the books to break up all the violence. I doubt that's what the OP is looking for.

There are plenty of cozy mysteries that would fit your criteria, although backstabbing and cheating are common motives for murder so you'll have a hard time avoiding those altogether. As others have recommended, older books are a good option.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Reader9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
" need help finding romance/mystery/suspence novels with morals "

Morals ?

Now where's the suspense in that .............

LOL!!!! Good point! I guess what I'm saying is that christian books are too uptight but I don't want to read smutty books. I can deal with mild swearing and it's not like te morals have to be perfect. I just want there to be morals
In the sense of characters who have monogamous relationships and build a relationship before having sex. Does that make more sense?

I'll check out some of your recommendations!! Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Reader9000

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Mack Bolan?? He's an executioner and there are explicit sex scenes sprinkled in the books to break up all the violence. I doubt that's what the OP is looking for.

There are plenty of cozy mysteries that would fit your criteria, although backstabbing and cheating are common motives for murder so you'll have a hard time avoiding those altogether. As others have recommended, older books are a good option.

Yeah, your right... In mysteries there will be raw issues but I'm ok with that just nothing too heavy.

See my problem with Christian novels is they're seeming to all 'tip toe' around real life issues. It's like even the bad guys aren't that bad in order to keep their uptight Christian audience happy! I'm just not impressed with the writing so I need to find what else is out there!

Thanks everyone for counseling me through this predicament!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony 350/T1,Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD/HD+, Fire HDX
"Cozy" mysteries are probably your best bet.

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_mystery

To add to Catlady's suggestion of Victoria Holt, Phyllis A. Whitney, and Mary Stewart, in the romance/suspense category there's:

Helen MacInness
Jane Aiken Hodge
Dorothy Eden

Re suspense, there's:

Alistair MacLean
Desmond Bagley
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Any of the classic mystery writers should fit the bill: Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, etc. Superb books, with no swearing or explicit sex.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
You might like the Hamish MacBeth series by M. C. Beaton, and the Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters. I think these are classified as "cozy" mysteries. I read them as audio books because I enjoyed hearing the accents. I also think Agatha Christie (although I haven't read very many yet) would work for your purposes as well.
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote