Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #61
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.
 
Posts: 235
Karma: 1398
Join Date: Jun 2008
Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Thanks! It works in PDFXChange Viewer (free).
http://www.tracker-software.com/prod...xchange-viewer

It is possible to flatten pdf in free version and than print it (or print it to virtual pdf printer, if you want to have it in pdf). If you save flattened pdf, DEMO watermark is inserted. If you print it (to printer or pdf) before saving, there is no watermark.
hehe... and there I was worried

I linked your posting to the software wiki... maybe you can extend it with an URL to the working software version (and possibly mention it in the Tips'n'Tweaks one, too)?

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #62
Jmirko
Mostly a scribbler
Jmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Jmirko's Avatar
 
Posts: 146
Karma: 22197
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Device: Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad & DR's, Hanvon N800, Wexler FlexOne
I recently bought an Onyx Boox X60 for my wife to use for reading and taking notes at the office. The reading experience is fine, but I found the built-in scribble app to be nearly useless – despite the surprisingly good digitizer.
Here is a list of the functions I would need / expect in such a device, and my annoying experience with the X60:
1. Undo (at least the last stroke, but preferably more). X60: doesn’t support it.
2. Quick access to eraser (icon on screen). X60: eraser is in menu, needs 2 or more taps to access, then 2 more to switch back to pen.
3. Renaming scribble files. X60: doesn’t support it.
4. Searching scribble files by file name (including partial name). X60: doesn’t support it.
5. Exporting scribble files to a PC via USB cable or wirelessly to the web. X60: doesn’t support it. I have tried the following methods:
• Accessing the device memory and the SD card and finding the scribble files – couldn’t find them.
• Using the Export function in the Scribble application – exports only the last page of a multi-page scribble (how useless is that???)
• Using the (undocumented) snapshot function (pressing Vol+ and Vol- buttons simultaneously) – captures a blank page without the scribbles.
• Using a blank pdf as a template – the scribbles are lost when I rename the template. Even if I don’t rename the template (or rename it before starting to scribble), the scribbles do not show up when I view the pdf on a pc.

Is the situation similarly bad on the M92? Does PeterX's alternative scribble app solve some of these issues? If so, any idea if it would run on an X60?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.
 
Posts: 235
Karma: 1398
Join Date: Jun 2008
Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I recently bought an Onyx Boox X60 for my wife to use for reading and taking notes at the office. The reading experience is fine, but I found the built-in scribble app to be nearly useless – despite the surprisingly good digitizer.
Here is a list of the functions I would need / expect in such a device, and my annoying experience with the X60:
1. Undo (at least the last stroke, but preferably more). X60: doesn’t support it.
2. Quick access to eraser (icon on screen). X60: eraser is in menu, needs 2 or more taps to access, then 2 more to switch back to pen.
3. Renaming scribble files. X60: doesn’t support it.
4. Searching scribble files by file name (including partial name). X60: doesn’t support it.
5. Exporting scribble files to a PC via USB cable or wirelessly to the web. X60: doesn’t support it. I have tried the following methods:
• Accessing the device memory and the SD card and finding the scribble files – couldn’t find them.
• Using the Export function in the Scribble application – exports only the last page of a multi-page scribble (how useless is that???)
• Using the (undocumented) snapshot function (pressing Vol+ and Vol- buttons simultaneously) – captures a blank page without the scribbles.
• Using a blank pdf as a template – the scribbles are lost when I rename the template. Even if I don’t rename the template (or rename it before starting to scribble), the scribbles do not show up when I view the pdf on a pc.

Is the situation similarly bad on the M92? Does PeterX's alternative scribble app solve some of these issues? If so, any idea if it would run on an X60?
Hi. Please be aware that you're posting in a thread about a 3rd party scribble application replacement for the M92. Even our preceding posts have been somewhat out-of-topic (I'm sorry, peter-x - this posting made me realize :P)

W.r.t. your problems - they are very similar to issues with the M92 and Onyx works on some of them (w.r.t. the M92 - no clue about the X60).
At least w.r.t. the 'disappearing' annotations, you will find the reason and a workaround on the M92 wishlist wiki. (keyword: metadata)

P.S.: To view the scribbles on a PC, you need to use the export functionality, which creates a new PDF... and before you ask on how to print them, have a look at the M92 'Tips and Tricks' and/or Software wiki page (PC Software).

Last edited by kodomo; 03-29-2012 at 09:29 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #64
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Maybe the best would be to make saving the data configurable. The best would be to be able to choose the interval for autosaving + no autosaving option. The second best would be to to switch between two modes - 5 sec autosaving and no autosaving.

If one draws then autosaving every 10-20 sec might be OK. If you write in real time, the saving should be manual or when it seems, there is some spare time.

Also writing could be in queue and done in small batches, when there is time. And imediately stop saving, if pen starts write again.

I know it is more complicated, but it should work satisfactory. Also the saving could be done in its own thread with low priority, if it is possible.
Thanks for the suggestion. Autosave is now done in its own thread. The whole application seems a bit slower, but I am working on that. Please consider the attached version non-stable.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scribble.zip (116.4 KB, 72 views)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #65
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Autosave is now done in its own thread. The whole application seems a bit slower, but I am working on that. Please consider the attached version non-stable.
New version, should be faster now. No new features. Still non-stable.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scribble.zip (120.5 KB, 94 views)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #66
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue
 
Mono's Avatar
 
Posts: 699
Karma: 13333
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Boox M92
Finally I tried your application. I like it. It is fast and drawing can be used later on on PC... And unlike Onyx approach the eraser works as real eraser, which I like. (The Onyx one erases the whole glyph.)

I hit a few udesired features.

1) If the screen rotation is used, the application draws (in real time) as if there is no screen rotation. But when you turn page and go back everything is at right place.

So, the drawing should be rotated also while drawing.

2) It is probably invoked by 1) If screen rotation is used, it is possible to draw to toolbar.

3) The same problem as in Onyx Scrible App and pdf scrible. Probably invoked by a pen driver? If you draw a line behind the margin (say to status bar), release pen and place it somewhere else, it joins the last known possition with a new one (new start of line). The info that pen stopped touching the screen is lost somewhere.

I would suggest to do some smart filtering. Two joined points should not be too far (maybe few mm), maybe also observing timestamp of events (if there is any). In your case I managed to invoke it only on some of margins, so maybe also restricting filtering to this case might help to avoid some udesirable side effects.

4) I do not know if it is possible to change the width of a pen. I haven't found a way to do it. But sometimes the drawing switches to fine-line. When I draw it is normal (semi-fine), but after turning pages it turns out (and stays) as fine-line.

5) I use screen refreshing mode 'every 5 pages'. In this case upper toolbar and bottom status bar are not redrawed correctly. Time and page numbers are writen over and over. There is no update of background.

Feature request.
It would be fine to have a possibility to change the width of lines and eraser. Maybe by repeated pressing pen / eraser icon (and changing that icon to show actual state - if that is possible).
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #67
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Finally I tried your application. I like it. It is fast and drawing can be used later on on PC... And unlike Onyx approach the eraser works as real eraser, which I like. (The Onyx one erases the whole glyph.)

I hit a few udesired features.

1) If the screen rotation is used, the application draws (in real time) as if there is no screen rotation. But when you turn page and go back everything is at right place.

So, the drawing should be rotated also while drawing.

2) It is probably invoked by 1) If screen rotation is used, it is possible to draw to toolbar.

3) The same problem as in Onyx Scrible App and pdf scrible. Probably invoked by a pen driver? If you draw a line behind the margin (say to status bar), release pen and place it somewhere else, it joins the last known possition with a new one (new start of line). The info that pen stopped touching the screen is lost somewhere.

I would suggest to do some smart filtering. Two joined points should not be too far (maybe few mm), maybe also observing timestamp of events (if there is any). In your case I managed to invoke it only on some of margins, so maybe also restricting filtering to this case might help to avoid some udesirable side effects.

4) I do not know if it is possible to change the width of a pen. I haven't found a way to do it. But sometimes the drawing switches to fine-line. When I draw it is normal (semi-fine), but after turning pages it turns out (and stays) as fine-line.

5) I use screen refreshing mode 'every 5 pages'. In this case upper toolbar and bottom status bar are not redrawed correctly. Time and page numbers are writen over and over. There is no update of background.

Feature request.
It would be fine to have a possibility to change the width of lines and eraser. Maybe by repeated pressing pen / eraser icon (and changing that icon to show actual state - if that is possible).
Thanks for your requests/remarks/reports. I opened issues for the bugs you reported and the bugs that are known to me at https://github.com/peter-x/scribble/issues and will deal with them later. Please add any remarks to the issues and perhaps tell me (via the github issue system) whether some are severe for you, so I can prioritize them.

I never tried the application with rotated screen. I am also not sure how the application should handle the rotated screen. Should the tool and status bar be rotated? Should the xournal file be rotated? This could cause some content to be not visible anymore. On the other hand, if someone loads a xournal file that already has a landscape format, it should also be displayed as such.

What are your opinions?
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #68
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.
 
Posts: 183
Karma: 15126
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: ONYX M96
First of all thx a lot for your effort, i really think that this device could become a very good notebook with the proper software.

Since you've fixed the issue with the saving every 5 secs your app is now quite useful to me.

Here are my recommendations:

-I've also noticed the issue with the thin and bolder lines which Mono mentioned

-Maybe, you should add a full refresh of the screen every several pages, or at every page turn (after several pages of notes the "noise" on the screen becomes quite unbearable)

-The status bar is not very useful to me, maybe you could skip it or make some sort of fullscreen option.

-the App leave a border of unused space on each side of the screen.

-Landscape mode would also be nice, of course, but then the toolbars would take too much space, i think.

-today i left the app open and some weird stuff happened, the big clock appeared and wouldn't go away until i pressed the back button several times, the i saw the app on the screen again but it wouldn't respond. Afterwards i couldn't return to the main menu and had to reset the device. The good news is that my notes were saved.

Thank you very much again for your contribution to the community.

Last edited by por; 04-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #69
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue
 
Mono's Avatar
 
Posts: 699
Karma: 13333
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
I am also not sure how the application should handle the rotated screen. Should the tool and status bar be rotated? Should the xournal file be rotated? This could cause some content to be not visible anymore. On the other hand, if someone loads a xournal file that already has a landscape format, it should also be displayed as such.

What are your opinions?
I do not know. For now, it would be suffitient (for me) if you manage to fix rotation issue for rotation 180 deg. It is my default screen position. It moves connectors upwards which is more convenient if you use headphones.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #70
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post
-I've also noticed the issue with the thin and bolder lines which Mono mentioned

-Maybe, you should add a full refresh of the screen every several pages, or at every page turn (after several pages of notes the "noise" on the screen becomes quite unbearable)

-The status bar is not very useful to me, maybe you could skip it or make some sort of fullscreen option.

-the App leave a border of unused space on each side of the screen.

-Landscape mode would also be nice, of course, but then the toolbars would take too much space, i think.

-today i left the app open and some weird stuff happened, the big clock appeared and wouldn't go away until i pressed the back button several times, the i saw the app on the screen again but it wouldn't respond. Afterwards i couldn't return to the main menu and had to reset the device. The good news is that my notes were saved.

Thank you very much again for your contribution to the community.
The problems with lines reappearing as thin and the borders should be fixed in the current version.
Concerning refresh and the status bar: You can trigger a refresh by "clicking" on the circular arrow in the status bar. Furthermore, you can navigate the pages using the status bar.

I think that an automatic refresh depending on the number of page changes is not very useful. Sometimes I want to flip through the pages very fast and sometimes I have to trigger a refresh because I deleted many of my scribbles. I think manual (and only manual) mode is most useful and I do not want to clutter the application with configuration options.

I added the fullscreen mode to the wanted features.

Concerning landscape mode: I still do not get the idea behind landscape mode. As I understand it, "landscape mode" just changes the position (and label orientation) of the tool- and status bar (at least for this application, as there is no text). Can you explain any other benefit?

Sorry, but I cannot tell what happened for the last point you mention.

Yours,
Christian.
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #71
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.
 
Posts: 183
Karma: 15126
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: ONYX M96
Do you mean that in the version i already have the issue with the borders is already gone?

Maybe i messed something up while updating the app. Is there somewhere a tut on how to install the app, i don't seem to remember how i installed it in the first place...

I have this folder on the root of the device called scribble, i just put the new scrible.oar there replacing the old, did i do something wrong?
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #72
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post
Do you mean that in the version i already have the issue with the borders is already gone?

Maybe i messed something up while updating the app. Is there somewhere a tut on how to install the app, i don't seem to remember how i installed it in the first place...

I have this folder on the root of the device called scribble, i just put the new scrible.oar there replacing the old, did i do something wrong?
You are right, I have not uploaded that version yet. Please see the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scribble_2012-04-17.zip (121.6 KB, 92 views)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #73
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Fixed the two bugs concerning writing on the borders.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scribble_2012-04-18.zip (118.0 KB, 254 views)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #74
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.
 
Posts: 183
Karma: 15126
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: ONYX M96
Great!

Unfortunately all the scribbling software on the device suffers from the issue with the stopping pen (after leaving it near the screen for a moment one is not able to continue writing until you lift the pen in the air several cm.). It probably is some kind of driver issue..
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #75
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 669
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post
Great!

Unfortunately all the scribbling software on the device suffers from the issue with the stopping pen (after leaving it near the screen for a moment one is not able to continue writing until you lift the pen in the air several cm.). It probably is some kind of driver issue..
I was not able to reproduce that. How long does that moment need to be? For me, it also seems like a driver issue or even a hardware issue.
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autostart an application apos PocketBook 2 01-07-2012 06:38 PM
Application update: application not installed error Merischino Kindle Fire 4 12-01-2011 11:30 PM
Android ! Application not installed ! wdcorbitt enTourage Archive 9 05-18-2011 11:30 AM
iPad Best application for epub? kgian Apple Devices 7 07-25-2010 12:51 PM
how to close an application? mduijkers enTourage Archive 2 06-14-2010 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.