Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #3691
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1
Hi Analogus,

there are three ways to do that

1) "subscribe" to an appropriate event
2) "hook" a appropriate function

like it is done in ViewerSettings.js
Code:
	Core.events.subscribe(Core.events.EVENTS.BOOK_CHANGED, 		resetMarginCut);
	Core.hook.hookAfter(ebook, "rotate", rotateMarginCut); //function(where, what, newFunction, tag)
where the first event may be usefull for your purpose,
the second line is just to show the principle.
To find events and functions check kbook.xs

3) hook a function manually, by totally or partially rewriting it in your code.
It often looks like this:
Code:
var oldfunc;
oldfunc = kbook.some.function;
kbook.some.function = function () {
do something
oldfunc.apply(this, arguments);
}
You can find plenty of these in PRS+ code.

HTH
Mark

Last edited by Mark Nord; 05-02-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #3692
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Analogus and everyone,

I've just noticed what could well be a bug (possibly already reported?) in the book search option of the Zork/PRS+ package (I'm using a Sony PRS-650):

- desktop>books (I have 183 books, most of them PDF articles)>see all>(options) search>"word">search>search book content? = yes.

The dialogue "searching contents - progress: X/183 + hits:X - shows. What usually happens is that - no matter what word I'm looking for, the progress hits between 42 and 48 and then stops. At that stage, the reader boots itself...

Any idea?
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #3693
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350 (silver, blue); PRS-300 (†), Kindle Paperwhite
Hi

Mark:

Thanks. This information is very usefull for me! Learning-curve is becoming steeper...

imageraw:

I think this is not a bug of PRS+ but a problem of one of your PDF's. Whatever the exact reason is - removing this PDF(s) will help I presume...

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 05-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3694
imageraw
Connoisseur

Analogus, could it be that scanned PDF - ie, non-searchable individually anyway (correct me if I'm wrong) - could be an issue here?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #3695
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course - that's the reason:
  • PDF ≠ PDF!
  • PDF + EREADER = PROBLEM ;-)

Scanned PDF's are in most cases connected with problem on Ereaders. Scanned PDF's are a couple of pictures (1 picture per page) and in some/most cases text on/above the picture. This text is unvisible. In most cases the text is produced with OCR-software (text recognition) which doesn't function well in all cases. That leads to lots of errors in the text (e.g. instead of 'mouse' let's say 'nroII$e').

This kind of text could produce your error in the searching-function.

Solution:

Do not use this or any PDF.

A.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #3696
imageraw
Connoisseur

sounds like bad news as i'm mainly using the reader to read academic articles - most of them are on a PDF format and a minority (by now) are still scanned into a PDF format...

I kind of tried to convert one of them into an epub with rather discouraging results...

suggestions?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #3697
oldhasbeen
oldhasbeen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
sounds like bad news as i'm mainly using the reader to read academic articles - most of them are on a PDF format and a minority (by now) are still scanned into a PDF format...

I kind of tried to convert one of them into an epub with rather discouraging results...

suggestions?

I use acrobat pro to optimize PDFs for ereader.
If both book pages were scanned onto a single PDF page I print that PDF new to file and select the page tiling option - this separates into individual pages (If the middle line is not too far out of center).
Then I run the scanned doc with (from menu "Document") Optimize Scanned PDF feature where text is de-skewed, despeckled, edge shadow removed etc.
To reduce file size on text which has been unnecessary scanned in colour mode I use the preflight option to convert colour to grey scale (file size).
Next is to crop the page margin. Sometimes each individual page manually.
Then the OCR - with clearscan selected text becomes searchable and filesize can collapse dramatically.
Advanced tool "Accessibility" and tagging the document helps with reflowing - however mixed text and pictures may lead to jumbling the sequence of the document in reflow reading.
Finally I optimize further with the advanced tool "PDF optimizer" for fast web view feature.
I am quite anal with file sizes. The smaller the size the less processor power is needed = battery and response times.
The whole process can be very exhausting and time consuming - result is generally shocking good.
I just finished a book which was really lousy scanned and difficult to read - even on computer - took me something like 10 hours. But is is a joy now to read on my 950 - fully searchable and re-flowable.
oldhasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #3698
Analogus
Fanatic

PDF:

I use PDF's on my reader. Short papers I read with the build-in-reaer. But books in most cases will be converted to EPUB. Therefor ABBY PDF Transformer is the software I use. It's less time-consuming than Acrobat and gives very good results. In case of illustrated PDF's manual twaking is necessary most of the time. One book can take 1 hour to convert into EPUB.

ZORK-Edition:

A new version for 350-readers is online. You'll find a new options to choose default page-layout. Usefull for example when reading without page-margins. Changing font-size, line-height or opening a new book does not require switching to your preferred layout any more.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 05-04-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #3699
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Great product, only issue I have is it now goes from fully charged to dead in 24 hours. I'm running the Zork 650. I love the way fonts are easily adjusted. Thank you
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #3700
Analogus
Fanatic

Hi Frankr:

Running down in 24 hours should have (hopefully) nothing to do with PRS+. In most cases a certain book is responsible for this (at least in my experience). Please give feedback if this problem does not vanish...

A.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #3701
psv
Enthusiast
psv began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 350, onyx boox m92
I installed the latest Zork version of PRS+ for 350 (2012.05.03). When I start the reader then the message "error in setPagestyleFunction2" appears for a moment. Perhaps related: the option "Format Option/Default Page Layout" doesn't seem to do anything for epub files, but it works for pdf files
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #3702
Analogus
Fanatic

psv:

There is an error-message when restarting. But it should do no harm, option should work in PDF's and EPUB's as well.
There is one situation the option will not work:

When closing a book and reopen it again, SONY's default page-layout will be activated. I try to find a way to avoid this behaviour in future updates.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 05-05-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #3703
Analogus
Fanatic

@Mark:

In this posting you gave me an answer on how to hook code after an existing function:

Code:
Core.hook.hookAfter(..context to be found.. pageSizeOverlayModel, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu  );
I was not able to manage it, because it's unclear to me how to find the right line for 'context'.

In case of the function above I tried various statements, for example:

Spoiler:
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. SIZE_OVERLAY_GROUP.sandbox.pageSizeOverlayModel, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu );
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. pageSizeOverlayModel, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu );
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.pageSize OverlayModel, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu );
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. SIZE_OVERLAY_GROUP.sandbox, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu);
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. SIZE_OVERLAY_GROUP, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu);
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. SIZE_OVERLAY_GROUP.sandbox.VIEW.sandbox.SIZE_OVERL AY.sandbox, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu);
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. SIZE_OVERLAY_GROUP.sandbox.SIZE_OVERLAY, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu);
Core.hook.hookAfter(kbook.model.container.sandbox. SIZE_OVERLAY_GROUP.sandbox.SIZE_OVERLAY.sandbox, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu);
Core.hook.hookAfter(pageSizeOverlayModel.openCurre ntOverlay, "initSizeMenu", myInitSizeMenu);

No success. I tried to find out this part with an XML-editor, with guessing, looking into comparable code, ...

Open questions are:
  • When do I have to use the keyword 'sandbox'?
  • How do I find out the right XML-path?
  • What, simple asked, is 'the right context'?

Maybe you could give me a hint to one or the other question. I know I'm inconvenient ;-)

A

PS:

You will find my functions here

Last edited by Analogus; 05-05-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #3704
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, iPhone, iPad, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab3 8
I have a question, if you don't mind. I have PRS at 350, and the option "Add to collection" appears at the booklist. At 650 with PRS, however, that option doesn't appear. It's something I've changed at my release but I don't know where to look. Can you help me to find where these functions are defined?
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #3705
bunjibear
bunjibear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS350 -Kindle Fire HD
Alpha - Zork Version Questions

I have the Alpha version on my PRS650. I would now like to install the Zork version. Do I have to remove Alpha and then install the Zork version or can I just install it like an upgrade.Thanks
bunjibear is offline   Reply With Quote