Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
jason.jackal
jason.jackal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Shortens book names on Windows 7

Folks:
I am new to Calibre and my new Sony PRS-T1 my wife got me; however, I have noticed Calibre is shortening the name of my books when the software creates the subfolder under the root level, which is the author folder.

This is not a big issue, since I use Calibre for me eBook management on my computer; however, on my Sony it becomes difficult to determine, which book is which if the title are similar. For example:

2 books named
a. Royal Navy combat in the Atlantic
b. Royal Navy combat in the Pacific

Calibre will shorten both these books to something along the lines of:

a. Royal Navy combat (1)
b. Royal Navy combat (2)

Is there a way that will disable the shortening of names?

Thanks.
jason.jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is a sticky that points out you cannot change Calibre's file naming strategy inside the calibre library file storage.

This will not be an issue if you use the Calibre GUI to look at books. You are strongly discouraged from going directly to the Calibre files in its internal file storage as if you mess anything up there you adversely affect Calibe's ability to function correctly.

If you export books from Calibre then this limitation will not apply.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
jason.jackal

itimpi

"If you export books from Calibre then this limitation will not apply." So I need to export my books directly from Calibre onto/into my Sony reader?

That might be the issue, because I drag and drop - I have not been able to figure out how to export the files to my reader and specify the SD card - it always defaults to the internal memory of my Sony reader, which I do not want.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you plug in the Sony Reader the main memory and SD card should show up as different devices and you can set either as the default.

Another option is to use the Connect to Folder feature to set it to the folder you wish to use.

For both options you can set the mask that can be used to generate the file name on the device.

However I think the Sony probably takes the details it displays from the books internal metadata rather than the file name (you do not mention which Sony you have).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
jason.jackal

Sony PRS-T1...the newest one they offer or the current model they offer.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.jackal View Post
That might be the issue, because I drag and drop - I have not been able to figure out how to export the files to my reader and specify the SD card - it always defaults to the internal memory of my Sony reader, which I do not want.
When using calibre as your eBook manager send books to your device via the calibre GUI. Using drag and drop via file system as you see can cause problems. Simply use the Send to device option from calibre to send books to your device.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-02-2012 at 12:20 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
jason.jackal

Everyone thank you. Using Calibre to sync my device was awesome, and I was finally able to get the output I wanted via my eReader's GUI.

In addition, I saw the media card icon in Calibre and it made life so much easier...

thank you all...
cheers!!!

Tags
calibre, shortening names