Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
pdurrant
Santa Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Tracking Gentlebeings' wagers

This thread is for the tracking of any honourable wagers members make with each other on this site. One post per wager, which should set forth the general terms of the wager and links to the posts that set the wager up for full details.

When the wager has been decided, the result will be added to the post here.

Summary: One post per wager. No comments.

Non-wager posts will be deleted without notice or warning.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-27-2012 at 05:31 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
pdurrant
Santa Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wager: Going DRM-free will not harm TOR's ebook sales in a significant way over the first year of DRM-free sales. (Details, as usual, in original posts.)

Participants:
pdurrant
Spoiler:
If, after going DRM free at or below their current ebook prices, TOR's ebook sales over the following year do not increase by at least 75% of the general ebook market unit increase (Or SF/Fantasy category increase if that is, by then, counted separately), I will cease to advocate for DRM free ebooks, and, indeed, I'll recommend that publishers should keep DRM on their ebooks.

stonetools
Spoiler:
So the likelihood is that prices willl stay the same or rise. As to whether there will be significant losses from casual sharing, the purpose of this experiment is to generate data on this issue. There will be solid results in a year or so. If there are no significant losses, I will change my mind on the issue and switch to urging publishers to abandon DRM.

[EDIT, October 2014: I think it's safe to say that I (pdurrant) have won this one. But stonetools doesn't seem to be active at MobileRead any more.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-14-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
pdurrant
Santa Mouse

Wager: For 1/2 ounce gold (RSE) against one US cent (Fluribus) on each of two propositions.

Wager a: The Walt Disney Corporation, directly or indrectly, will attempt to have US Copyright term extended again before the end of 2022

Wager b: That the attempt will succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I have one 1/2 oz gold piece that says the attempt will be made before 2022.

I have another that says it will get slipped in successfully (in a last minute negotiation before 2023, as a rider to some other bill.)

Bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I have a standard zinc penny that says it won't. He's an argumentative little fellow.

Quote:
Done. A penny here, a penny there....

The mouse house is simply not going to roll over and go to sleep when their business model is at stake. They haven't in the past, they won't in the future.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-05-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
pdurrant
Santa Mouse

A wager between and Ralph Sir Edward and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No-one will run a e-cat in a sustainable way (i.e. self-generating the power for its heating coils) in the next five years.
Quote:
Done. Name the stakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A gold sovereign seems fine. (Current value around £200)