Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #2311
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
@slack: You could try a factory reset, that usually properly deregister the device, at least on the device side of things.

And we probably don't see anything in the logs, because when it crashes/hard reboots, syslog-ng (the logger) probably doesn't have the time/can't flush its buffer to disk, hence the 'lost' logs. And if it crashes really early in the update process, that may well 'hide' the whole thing.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #2312
slack
slack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've tried factory reset, but nothing changed at all...
It stops rebooting if I turn off the wireless network (not only wi-fi), so you was right.

Amazon's support have deregistered it, and I've successfully registered it through they site, but on my Kindle nothing is changet at all...

Is there any way to activate in offline without jailbreak? I think it is not...

I want to try previous versions of your jailbreak, where can I get it?
slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #2313
slack
slack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've resolved my problems...

A problem with jailbreak I've resolved by using version 0.9.N.

A registration issue I've resolved by choosing a cellular carrier manualy (311 in settings menu). After that my Kindle is become registered by itself.

May be this information will help someone else.

Thanks for your support.
slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #2314
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@slack: Huh, good to know. I have a pretty good idea of what might have caused the issue, which, ironically, was a fix to avoid this very kind of thing, so that's pretty weird...

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience with the very latest packages of any of these hacks (update failed around ~20%, or a hang during the update process)?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-08-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2315
amdkt7
amdkt7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
My Kindle Keyboard has version 3.3 running on it. It is a B008 serial number device, so I tried to install the k3w version of the jail break. I got a fail when the update restarted, with U00? error. I forgot what the exact error code was.

I decided to ignore the fail and went on to try installing the screensaver hack, which also failed with a different U00? code. There was no linkss folder created either.

I'm wondering if my version 3.3 is too new?
amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #2316
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@amdkt7:

Short answer: You need to read the first post again, more carefully.

Short answer²: Use the -3.2.1 jb install.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2317
amdkt7
amdkt7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Thanks for the short answer. I spent a lot of time trying to read through this and wound up pretty confused. Last night I was able to get it to work using the Yifan Lu hack, which clearly stated it was for 3.x to 3.3. http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-jailbreak/
Enjoying seeing my own photography instead of dead authors.
amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #2318
Kindle fan
Kindle fan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile update failure

Hi
I tried to do the jailbreak update on my Kindle. It's a 3g wifi B006 and I used K3G_install.bin. Copied it to "F" drive which is Kindle. Ejected "F" and update as per instructions. Home, menu, settings, update.. Got U004 message and Update failed. waited for reboot and got nothing folder/file installed on Kindle.

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Thanks
Kindle fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #2319
Kindle fan
Kindle fan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile jailbreak and screen savers

when all else fails read and digest what was given.
I finally figured out to use the bin file -3.2. It worked and so did the screen saver hack. Now I have 10 Ansel Adams black and white pictures as my
screen saver.

Thanks to all the people who made this possible
Kindle fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #2320
Smith_S9
Smith_S9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hello! I am having a pretty serious problem, I think. I have a Kindle 3 WiFi with 3.3 firmware and I installed the jailbreak v10, ss hack v25 and usb hack v35 at that time. I played with it for a while, set up SSH keys and stuff between the Kindle and my computer, added the Kiterm terminal and even got a Debian image to boot on it.

However, I took a break from it because I have been busy with college stuff and yesterday I came back to tinkering with it because I want to install the GameBoy emulator. Everything was still working ok, but I had forgotten the SSH password for my Kindle (stupid, stupid, stupid). I figured out that in order to reset the SSH settings, I had to uninstall usb hack and install it back again. I put the correct uninstaller on the root, updated via the settings menu and BAM, U007 error. Never happened before this. I tried for a couple of times to uninstall it, each came with an error and the usbNetwork folder still there.

Because I had no idea that factory reset does nothing on the hacks, I went and reset it to the factory settings. After that, I tried reinstalling the jailbreak, and ss hack, each came up with an error. Tried to uninstall them, error. Tried to install the newer versions, error. I left it and went to sleep, this morning I tried again to uninstall each hack with each of the older and newer version installers. Everything comes up with U007 error.

Funny thing is, the ss hack works. I have custom screensavers. It works even after I tried to uninstall it. The usb network hack doesn't work, and the folder doesn't even appear on the root, as well as the linkjail folder. So basically I have a Kindle full of partial/broken hacks, with the ss one working.

Any idea what can I do to make the hacks work again or to at least bring it back fully to vanilla state?
Smith_S9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #2321
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Put the linkjail folder from the latest packages back on the root of your kindle, reboot your kindle, then try to ununinstall/install the latest jailbreak again.

FYI, your SSH settings have nothing to do with the usbnet hack install/uninstall process, in fact, uninstalling it won't touch them. Also, the whole point of the shared keys auth method is that you don't depend on a password set on the server side, but on the one you set for your private key, so I'm a bit puzzled...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #2322
Smith_S9

I did what you suggested, both the uninstallation and the installation gave an U007 error and the linkjail folder was still there the entire time. I guess I should try to install the USB hack, but I'll wait for further input from you, as I don't want to screw it up even more.

--

Yes, I know, in fact I have no idea what happened to the shared keys, as the last time I logged in to the Kindle from my computer via SSH, before the hiatus, to say so, I remember it did not request the password, it simply accepted the keys...

I am using Cygwin for this, as I am using Windows mainly and I couldn't figure it out how to SSH from a Linux virtual machine. Perhaps something happened to the Cygwin settings, but I am not sure.

Question: If the SSH password is not saved within the usb hack, the factory settings reset should have reset the password as well, right?

--

Thank you for the quick reply!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #2323
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you still have a linkjail folder, then you didn't do a factory reset, or it failed, a factory reset should have completely cleared the userstore.

You might be a bit confused on the whole reboot/reset/restart thing.... :-)

I'm not familiar with cygwin, but, assuming it's basically a Unix shell, it should work exactly the same way as on linux: if your public key is accepted by the server, your SSH client looks at the matching private one, asking you the password for this private key (granted, you could have foolishly created a passwordless key pair, but that's another matter entierely; in the same vein, I'm overlooking the fact that you may be using an ssh agent).
To recap, the only thing stored on the server is a copy of your public key, and, yeah, that's stored in the linkjail folder in the case of my usbnet hack, but the key password is stored entirely on your side. If your SSH client doesn't find a matching key pair, it will fall back to other auth methods, most likely relying on the server login mechanisms, but, again, in the usbnet hack case, unless you enabled wireless login, it should let you through even with an empty or erroneous password. Or over telnet if all else fails.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-25-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #2324
Smith_S9

The linkjail folder was not there after the factory reset, I already stated that in the original post.

The Kindle was reset to the factory settings alright, the root got stripped of any added folder, the personal settings were erased, etc.

I added the folder like you said, and then uninstalled. The folder was still there after uninstallation (which failed with U007). Then I installed the hack, got an error, again. I am not sure what to do next or how to figure out if the Kindle is actually jailbroken.

As for the SSH thing, currently I'm trying to get the usb hack to work, first :P. I am aware how the SSH authorization system works, but I don't remember the actions I made exactly when I set up the keys, this is why I got confused in that part and tried to reset everything. And I did activate the SSH over WIFI option, that is why it was asking me for a password.

By the way, I noticed one of your earlier posts:

Quote:
Has anyone else ever had a similar experience with the very latest packages of any of these hacks (update failed around ~20%, or a hang during the update process)?
Every update I make (install or uninstall) fails like that, around 20%.

Last edited by Smith_S9; 04-25-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #2325
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That post wasn't really directed at cases like this, the U007 error is pretty straightforward: failure to check the package signature, which usually means the device is not jailbroken.

To recap, make sure you don't have another jailbreak installed/half installed, and reboot your kindle before installing new stuff if you manage to get a jb uninstall to finish succesfully.

Also, the folder is not a good thing to check for success, it will never be deleted automatically, even during a successful uninstall, the only trustworthy indicator is the return status/code of the updater :-) .

You should be able to 'revive' the usbnet hack after a factory reset the same way as the jailbreak: just put the usbnet folder from the packages back on the root of your userstore. You probably will need to do a reboot to get the private usbnetwork command working, or you could try using the auto mode, if you're confident in your setup (mainly, don't enable ssh over wireless).

If you manage to get a shell access back, check the state of the update private keys, the logs, and if any of the partitions are nearly full.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet