Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Charging Port Issue

I searched the forum, and I haven't seen this issue brought up, and I wonder if I'm not alone:

I have had my KF since the day of release, and I've used it just about daily since then. I've never had any issues with charging or battery life. Last night, I picked my Fire up and saw that the battery was at 7%, even though I had it plugged into the charger for several hours. I checked and saw that, although it was plugged in, it wasn't charging. I tried a different charger and it still wouldn't charge, so the issue wasn't the charger.

The charging port in the KF isn't loose, but there's a decent amount of 'play' in the micro usb plug when it's plugged into the port, so I started holding the plug in different directions. I found that the unit would only charge if I angle the plug upwards as far as it can go. Plugged straight in, it won't charge.

I called Amazon customer support, and they're sending me a replacement, which is great, but I wonder if others have had this issue?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I searched the forum, and I haven't seen this issue brought up, and I wonder if I'm not alone:

I have had my KF since the day of release, and I've used it just about daily since then. I've never had any issues with charging or battery life. Last night, I picked my Fire up and saw that the battery was at 7%, even though I had it plugged into the charger for several hours. I checked and saw that, although it was plugged in, it wasn't charging. I tried a different charger and it still wouldn't charge, so the issue wasn't the charger.

The charging port in the KF isn't loose, but there's a decent amount of 'play' in the micro usb plug when it's plugged into the port, so I started holding the plug in different directions. I found that the unit would only charge if I angle the plug upwards as far as it can go. Plugged straight in, it won't charge.

I called Amazon customer support, and they're sending me a replacement, which is great, but I wonder if others have had this issue?
I've always had to wriggle mine to get it to charge. I have heard it mentioned before but perhaps not here.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sometimes, the measurement database "sticks." Doing a Shut Down (hold start button 3 seconds) always fixes it for me. It was probably fully charged but the database was stuck.

I use BBMP to measure my charge. Sometimes, during normal use discharge, the BBMP database shows a larger charge than it really has. The Shut Down corrects that database as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Sometimes, the measurement database "sticks." Doing a Shut Down (hold start button 3 seconds) always fixes it for me. It was probably fully charged but the database was stuck.

I use BBMP to measure my charge. Sometimes, during normal use discharge, the BBMP database shows a larger charge than it really has. The Shut Down corrects that database as well.
Thanks, but that sounds like a totally different issue. I'm talking about the connection made by the plug in the charging port, not the device misreading its charge.

When I angle the plug upwards, it starts charging again. That would have nothing to do with any database.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Always make sure the orange light is lit when plugged in to verify
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
This seems like a pretty common complaint, though I don't have any issue with mine.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Mine is starting to wiggle and hard to register. I think I'll give it awhile because I really don't want to send it back.

EDIT: Just talked to support. They're sending me a new charger to see if it works.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 03-26-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
grvthang
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Mine is starting to wiggle and hard to register. I think I'll give it awhile because I really don't want to send it back.

EDIT: Just talked to support. They're sending me a new charger to see if it works.
Jessica, you're joking, right? You have a rooted Fire but you don't have another charger laying around to check whether that's the problem?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the moment I got my Fire, there has always been something weird about the port. I either have a hard time getting the thing to stick, or the Kindle gets corrupted zips flashed to it. I personally think it's the Kindle itself and nothing to do with the charger. I don't care about the corrupted files because it can always be the K3 wire I'm using, but I'm worried about the wiggling.

And no, I don't have any other chargers except the K3 one. I told myself I wasn't going to try and get similar chargers to work with same voltage devices after almost electrocuting myself a few years ago.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
HI I am not trying to be insulting but the Micro-USB plug is very thin

On the official Charger that shipped with the kindle fire
always make sure you are inserting the side engraved with the little USB symbol facing up.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
grvthang
Connoisseur

I didn't like it when they switched most devices from mini USB to micro USB. Maybe it's my imagination, but in general, it seems as though there's more 'play' in micro usb connections than there was in mini USB. The plugs just seemed to fit tighter before.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
grvthang
Connoisseur

Got my replacement Fire today. Looks like a brand new one, rather than a refurb. Wow - a big difference! The micro usb port makes a very tight connection without any play when I plug the charger in. I'm not sure whether the older one felt this tight when I first got it - it may have gotten progressively loser without my noticing it.

Comparing the two usb ports closely (on the old KF and the new one), the older one is recessed at least 1/32" deeper into the case than the new one. The old one doesn't feel loose, but there's significant 'play' in the plug when I plug a male connection into it.

Amazon is giving me 30 days to return the old one, which gives me plenty of time to set the new one up.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

My new Kindle has the same issue. But the plug fits in better.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I started getting the no charging, loose USB connection problem on Monday. It went from working fine to not charging unless I wiggled it around for awhile. I see it as a significant issue, so I called Kindle Support. They are sending me another Fire which should be here today.

While it will be a hassle to set everything up the way I want it with all my sideloaded apps, etc, I'd rather have a fully functional device.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
It seems that the design of the connection on the Fire is such that it larger than need be for the OEM charger. I have found that other cables in my collection have a better (tight) fit. Why on earth so many people are "wiggling" the cable connection? STOP doing this -- you risk making it worse!

I suspect people are moving the micro USB connection from side to side when removing it, rather than carefully pulling it straight out.

There is a better alternative. Purchase a better cable at Amazon for $3 and a 2.1a USB AC Travel (folding prongs) charger for $9.99.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote