Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
ddaneel
ddaneel began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
About dictionaries

I wanted an English dictionary for my Cybook Gen3, so as a good mobilereader I searched the forums and ended up with

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24924

and the threads mentioned in there.

As usual, the mix of features I wanted does not exist, e.g. I like illustrations, etymology, learner's aid. After doubting between Chambers and Oxford, I went for the Oxford Advanced Learner 7th ed, because I have a 6th ed paperback copy, I like it and was quite happy to get rid of the brick. However
  1. Illustrations are disabled on the Cybook, only work on PC
  2. Even on PC illustrations have been cut down. It does have the small ones, but it's missing the nicer, big ones, see e.g. boats, body. Maybe a real change 6th->7th ed, but I think it's the electronic edition
  3. On Cybook I cannot lookup words directly in the dictionary, I get "Indexes not supported in this version". Obviously due to the Cybook version of mobipocket reader.

So basically I get the best of those $36 only on my laptop, where I already have the Internet helping me.

Also, Cybook already comes with a demo of Pocket Oxford English Dictionary, only letter L available. When I look up say "large" I am presented with two choices, corresponding to the two dictionaries installed. Never remember which is which though, so is there a way to select a default dictionary?
ddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaneel View Post
  • Illustrations are disabled on the Cybook, only work on PC
  • Even on PC illustrations have been cut down. It does have the small ones, but it's missing the nicer, big ones, see e.g. boats, body. Maybe a real change 6th->7th ed, but I think it's the electronic edition
The large images are there. For example AXE comes with two images: the one you see initially is 106x67 but (on a Windows PC) if you click on the small image you get the "full size" one - which is 480x320.

I think this is a case of the dictionary using too many of the advanced features of the MobiPopcket format. If they had just included the large image as a standard image almost everyone would be happier.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
ddaneel

yes, I noticed that resizable pic feature, but I was referring to other illustrations. The paperback edition I have has very nice tables covering half or whole pages, they just left those out the eBook edition
Old 07-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The way you'd use a dictionary on a Cybook is different than the way you'd use it on your computer or the way you'd use a paper dictionary. You won't be able to browse through the dictionary very well, there is no search function on the Cybook to facilitate this type of use. The Cybook uses the dictionary to look up words in text you are reading. I think it would be a waste of space (and money) to purchase a nice pictorial dictionary just to install it to a Cybook. A pure text dictionary would work better.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure that I agree, Julie. If you use a Windows PC, you can install the dictionary on that, too, and use that for searches.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I think it would be a waste of space (and money) to purchase a nice pictorial dictionary just to install it to a Cybook. A pure text dictionary would work better.
The dictionary works fine on a computer, but I qualified my comment above in regards to the Cybook. If someone buys a dictionary and plans to use it in the same way on the Cybook that they might on a computer, they will be disappointed because the Cybook is not designed to provide easy browsing access to a dictionary.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sure, I agree that if you're going to use it only on a Gen3 then it would be waste. Dictionaries are, though, "normal" MobiPocket books, and hence can be used on the usual 4 different devices. I use my Chambers dictionary a lot on the Windows Mobi Reader precisely because that has a very nice "search" interface.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure, I agree that if you're going to use it only on a Gen3 then it would be waste. Dictionaries are, though, "normal" MobiPocket books, and hence can be used on the usual 4 different devices. I use my Chambers dictionary a lot on the Windows Mobi Reader precisely because that has a very nice "search" interface.
Searching dictionaries work very well on the Mobipocket Pocket pc version too.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
ddaneel

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Basically you are saying that since the Cybook has limited user input capabilities, I should just not ask for too much interaction, as I was used to with the paper edition.

A pity though