Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Same IP address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarrsw View Post
Hi,

Like I said, this is my sole Amazon account and until now I've never returned anything. My partner does also have an Amazon account, on a separate email address and credit card. Plus he typically ships to the UK, whereas I typically ship directly to my home in the Netherlands.
You mention you have a partner. Amazon may now be using IP address identification. If your partner and you both operate your devices from the same location using WiFi, both of you may have the same IP address.

That may now violate Amazon rules. You should call Amazon customer support and see if that is what happened to your account.

You can always have your spouse open an Amazon account from your home address with a different credit card. It may pay to just forget the broken kindles and the old eBooks.

Remember, those eBooks are really licensed to be read and not really owned like a pBook. Just forget them. They are gone.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #47
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My guess is that the closing of the account itself is due to the fact that someone tried to return a Kindle to Amazon that was purchased at a BestBuy retail store. Whether or not it would be extremely inconvenient for someone to return/exchange the purchase via the retail store/chain where it was purchased, isn't very relevant to the fact that it's still the way it's supposed to be done.
But wasn't it said that Best Buy only accepts returns during one month after purchase and it was Amazon's duty to honor warranty when that period had expired.

And in any case, even if the rules were not followed, how does it constitute abuse? Even if you are right, I can see only a small unintentional mistake by a Kindle owner. Amazon could simply refuse warranty if for some reason the customer is not entitled to it, but calling it abuse and closing the account goes too far.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
No, I have no clue about Germany because I don't speak German and outside of German speaking countries there is very little interest in German books.

Ok, ok. Just don't make it sound as if you feel insulted that I have no interest in Germany books.

Does it really matter if he hasn't bought Kindle from Amazon? There is one Amazon account whatever Amazon site one is shopping. I have used the same Amazon account with different shipping addresses in 4 countries so far.
You seem to deflect from the fact that all the statements of your posting

"If you had read the story, you would know that he had bought a Kindle in the UK from the Best Buy. That's not strange at all because there are no Kindles available in European shops. I don't know if Best Buy shops are open in the UK anymore. Now tourists in the UK have to buy Kindles from Tesco instead.

Apparently Amazon has found that selling Kindles to Europeans below cost is unprofitable because non-English speaking people are not buying that many e-books from them anyway. It appears that they are taking drastic measures to prevent further losses like illegally refusing warranty service to broken Kindles.

I would suggest contacting a local consumer protection agency. They may take time to review the case but they could make judgement in your favor, i.e., forcing Amazon to repair your Kindle and reinstate access to books already bought."

Are plain wrong ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #49
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
It's amazing how you can deduce all this from one reported case of banning due to Kindle free replacement abuse ...
You are making too many assumptions. The main reason why I think that Amazon Kindle costs considerably more than it is sold is due to the fact that all other equivalent e-ink devices cost considerably more. It doesn't make sense in market. Of course, there are some devices backed by large companies which have equal price but most likely they are playing the same game. All independent devices usually cost twice as much although they are not even that good.

Amazon is also know to be very generous replacing broken Kindles, in some case even when it is clear that the owner was at fault, like cracked screen. So, why they taking such extreme measures now?

I have bought and given 5 or 6 Kindles as a gift to different persons already. They all actively use it but they never buy content from Amazon. In fact, Kindle is the most popular reader in Latvia. Amazon surely must have statistics of what is going on. And if they have no plans to enter LV (or similarly NL) market, then naturally they would stop being so generous with warranty requests from non-profitable market. Just don't expect them to admit it publicly.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #50
karunaji
Evangelist

To ignacio ferrer:

On the contrary, it confirms what I said. If Amazon has a profitable content sales in Germany, it makes sense to sell and support Kindle extensively there. Remember, Kindles are subsidized to profit from content. I was just generalizing Europe while excluding Germany. (As if the UK does not belong to Europe, ha) In the same vein, if Kindles can be bought in Germany, it doesn't mean that all Europeans can buy Kindles freely in their shops. LV and NL are not DE.
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #51
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Hi,

I admit, I was drawn to this forum via googling my problem and finding an older, similar previous thread that is now closed after veering off-topic.

But anyway, I have also just suffered the stress of having an Amazon account closed down without warning or detail. After a prolonged period, I eventually received the email tonight that stated:

"We've found your account is directly related to another account which has been previously closed for abuse of our policies. As such, your Amazon.com account has been closed and any open orders have been canceled. All other accounts related to yours have also been closed."

Unlike the previous poster, I have only ever had one Amazon account, in use since 2002/2003. I have never been a marketplace seller. I've had a pretty unexceptional history of buying occasional (but expensive) natural history books and random fiction, and never returned an item before.

This seems to have come about after my Kindle broke. It was frozen and wouldn't turn on. I contacted Amazon customer services, went through the technical support procedures and was told that it should be replaced. I was informed that my details would be passed onto sales and that a new device would be shipped to me ASAP. Although I received the technical support receipt, I never received a sales one.

I never thought too much of it and was busy myself, but after a week I attempted to login to Amazon to check on the status and couldn't. Whenever I would try a password reset, it didn't work.

A couple of days later I spoke to an apologetic person who passed on my problem to account services, promising a solution within 24 hours.

72 hours later, I received the email from accounts services providing the details quoted above.

Having quickly read over the other thread, I'm a bit stressed about obtaining a positive result. Although there were many cynics on that thread, I'm pretty baffled about what has gone wrong here.

Like I said, this is my sole Amazon account and until now I've never returned anything. My partner does also have an Amazon account, on a separate email address and credit card. Plus he typically ships to the UK, whereas I typically ship directly to my home in the Netherlands.

We did have a previous Kindle Keyboard in the family. I got on a flight in November only to discover that it no longer worked. Because we were on holiday and I wanted to read, I bought a new Kindle from a store. When we returned from holiday, my partner reported the broken Kindle Keyboard. It was a couple of weeks beyond one year old, so Amazon requested he pay £40 for a replacement, which he did. The replacement came and the broken model was returned.

Now my regular Kindle has broken after less than four months and I am locked out of my account without a means to get a replacement.

I am only mentioning the Kindle Keyboard story because it's also the only item that my partner has ever returned. His account even predates mine, and he's also never been a marketplace seller. What's more, his account has not been closed, so I do not believe his account is part of the problem.

I don't know if there's anyone here capable of providing me further advice that will resolve the situation. But I'm upset about three issues:

- If there has been fraudulent account activity, Amazon is not providing details or evidence, so I could still be at risk.

- I have a four-month old Kindle that is dead. If Amazon isn't going to replace it, what do I do? I have a receipt, a serial number and credit card proof of purchase.

- I have almost a decade of purchase history and now I am being told I am no longer entitled to be an Amazon customer.
what search words did you use on google?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Given that there are people who have returned many a broken Kindle, over 5, and had no trouble with Amazon I have a sneaking suspicion that there is something else going on here.

I have no idea what it is but I seriously doubt it has to do with where the OP lives and how many books he buys through Amazon for his Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #53
karunaji
Evangelist

There is another interesting thing with Amazon selling Kindles to European countries (outside those who have there own websites like uk or de). They cannot be bought from either amazon.co.uk or amazon.de, only from amazon.com and they are shipped from the US. Logistically it doesn't make sense because of higher shipping costs, longer delivery, increased price due to customs tax and complicated paperwork. It becomes especially complicated when dealing with warranty service that requires sending broken Kindle back to the US.

Why not ship those Kindles from DE or UK? I don't think that it is just a random choice, more likely it is a clever policy.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #54
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Possibilities of email theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Given that there are people who have returned many a broken Kindle, over 5, and had no trouble with Amazon I have a sneaking suspicion that there is something else going on here.

I have no idea what it is but I seriously doubt it has to do with where the OP lives and how many books he buys through Amazon for his Kindle.
The OP's email address may also have been hacked and used improperly with Amazon. In that case Amazon would just close the account.

The solution then would be to get a brand new email account and try opening a new account with Amazon. It would probably be prudent also to get a new credit card number from his bank.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #55
karunaji
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The OP's email address may also have been hacked and used improperly with Amazon. In that case Amazon would just close the account.
The possibility was considered but according to what has been said, it is not likely.

Quote:
The solution then would be to get a brand new email account and try opening a new account with Amazon. It would probably be prudent also to get a new credit card number from his bank.
I guess that Amazon would be more open about this. Hacked account would mean attempts to make some purchases. In such case one would need to change the password and scan the computer and reinstall OS if needed. Without these steps a new account could be easily hacked again, if the source of hacking is not identified or rectified.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If his account had been hacked then Amazon would have handled it as a hacked account. They normally will close the account, allow the person to open a new account, and give them a gift certificate so that they can repurchase their digital material. There are plenty of examples of this.

Amazon has said that the account was closed due to an abuse of the return policy. It could be that the Kindle was not broken, the return was handled wrong, or even that the Kindle in question was not legitimatly purchased.

There are people who have bought used Kindles and ended up with units that suddenly stopped working because they had been called in as stolen. Amazon normally tells folks that there is nothing that they can do in that case. What would Amazon due if said Kindle was returned in an attempt to get a new Kindle? Amazon ships the new Kindle as soon as someone calls in a problem. The broken Kindle is returned when the new Kindle arrives.

I am not saying that is what happened but something went wrong with this return. We are not getting the full story (shocking I know). Amazon doesn't randomly close accounts. I know of a good number of folks who had returned multiple broken Kindles (Screen fade with the K2 led to some folks going through 7 or more Kindles, I have read of folks who were on their fifth Kindle replacement due to improperly glued cases, broken speakers, and other issues.) None of those people had their accounts closed due to return issues.

So something went badly wrong with this return.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are making too many assumptions. The main reason why I think that Amazon Kindle costs considerably more than it is sold is due to the fact that all other equivalent e-ink devices cost considerably more. It doesn't make sense in market. Of course, there are some devices backed by large companies which have equal price but most likely they are playing the same game. All independent devices usually cost twice as much although they are not even that good.

Amazon is also know to be very generous replacing broken Kindles, in some case even when it is clear that the owner was at fault, like cracked screen. So, why they taking such extreme measures now?

I have bought and given 5 or 6 Kindles as a gift to different persons already. They all actively use it but they never buy content from Amazon. In fact, Kindle is the most popular reader in Latvia. Amazon surely must have statistics of what is going on. And if they have no plans to enter LV (or similarly NL) market, then naturally they would stop being so generous with warranty requests from non-profitable market. Just don't expect them to admit it publicly.
"The main reason why I think that Amazon Kindle costs considerably more than it is sold is due to the fact that all other equivalent e-ink devices cost considerably more."
"Of course, there are some devices backed by large companies which have equal price but most likely they are playing the same game."

I like your logic: it is only a contradiction in terms, but who cares ...
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #58
ignacio ferrer
Banned

Quote:
To ignacio ferrer:

On the contrary, it confirms what I said. If Amazon has a profitable content sales in Germany, it makes sense to sell and support Kindle extensively there. Remember, Kindles are subsidized to profit from content. I was just generalizing Europe while excluding Germany. (As if the UK does not belong to Europe, ha) In the same vein, if Kindles can be bought in Germany, it doesn't mean that all Europeans can buy Kindles freely in their shops. LV and NL are not DE.
They are selling Kindles in Italy, France, Spain, UK, Germany: don't let your reasoning be bothered by facts ...
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Day four:

"Your account has been closed for kindle free replacement abuse.

We understand your viewpoint regarding the cancellation of your account, and we're sorry that you're so disappointed by our decision."

In one hand, it's nice to get a clearer reply. On the other, it doesn't tally with what I was previously told about my account being closed because it had been associated with another closed account.
The only reason I can think for them to do this is if they think you have reported a broken Kindle, and yet that Kindle later appears on their network being used.

What happened to your broken Kindles?

I suggest that you write out a time-line of your understanding of all the kindles you've had on your account, setting out where and when they were bought and when they were broken/replaced/stopped being used on your account.

Send that in your next email, and state that you have not abused the Kindle replacement programme, and that this is your account of all the Kindles that have been used on your account.

If you have done nothing wrong, and you are calm and persistent, you should be able to persuade them that they have made a mistake.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #60
mccarrsw
mccarrsw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It was asked if I'd left anything out of the quote from the email. I quoted the key part here. The remainder was simply:

"We understand your viewpoint regarding the cancellation of your account, and we're sorry that you're so disappointed by our decision.

If you have any questions or concerns, please write to cis@amazon.com."

Which I took to be an improvement over the previous statements that nothing said is worth the bother because I won't get reinstated.

As I said in the original post, there have been two Kindles in the household. The Kindle Keyboard was bought in October 2010 and broke in November 2011. It suffered a damaged screen and my partner paid £40 for the replacement as it was out of warranty.

The regular Kindle was purchased at the end of November and broke in March. Unlike the other Kindle, this one simply won't switch on (or the screen doesn't wake up). The screensaver is permanently on.

This weekend I'll be on holiday in the UK. I may as print out my emails from Amazon and take them to the Carphone Warehouse, which seems to be the last remains of Best Buy over in the UK. No harm in asking.
mccarrsw is offline   Reply With Quote