Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I pretty rarely need to do look-ups (boasting of my amazing vocab skills), but I do occasionally do it for more technical terms when I don't trust my memory 100% for the exact unit of measurement since I don't regularly use the unit of measurement or isn't regularly used. Such as a furlong, league or a fathom.

I like being precise, so I don't like "well, I know about how long/far that is".

So far, no issues even with more obscure units (when was the last time you used furlong in a conversation?).

The only look-up it wasn't able to find so far was "an iron crow"...which the context should have told me what it was, but I had to look it up anyway (old name for a crow bar, as reference it was used in Robinson Crusoe).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
tdonline
Zealot
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Have you already tried the free MR ePub edition of Webster's Dictionary?
I'm trying it out now. It's a megahuge file though and it's quite difficult to find a word quickly. The "find" option takes forever. So I use the go to page option instead but it's still pretty tedious.

I'm keeping it on my Nook for a trial run. Will see how it goes. It may come in handy too for words that are not my word list or in the Nook dictionary.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
michaelbr
Enthusiast
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 4.0.4
Thanks so much for all your input, I'll give it a try before getting another one. Can't wait to get my NST!!!
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Have to say that I would like a better dictionary too. The built-in dictionary many times references a root word with no defintion of the root. I think the dictionary on my Sony PRS-900 was way better.

Bob
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary