Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Is it safe to apply this update on my already jailbroken kindle touch?
Will the jailbroken things be still there?
Yes, it is safe.

Last edited by ixtab; 03-02-2012 at 09:49 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes, it is safe.
There was a report in the "Amazon Kindle" forum that the 5.0.4 update damaged a screen rotating hack, which was easily repaired by replacing the .jar file that got overwritten by the update.

Interesting, the .jar files on MY kindle were identical between 5.0.0 and 5.0.4, so amazon must have replaced some potentially user-modified files with original copies.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
A-I
A-I began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There was a report in the "Amazon Kindle" forum that the 5.0.4 update damaged a screen rotating hack, which was easily repaired by replacing the .jar file that got overwritten by the update.

Interesting, the .jar files on MY kindle were identical between 5.0.0 and 5.0.4, so amazon must have replaced some potentially user-modified files with original copies.
Yes, I updated to 5.0.4 from 5.0.3 (which was updated from 5.0.1), and now I have the right edge 1-cm chopped off in landscape mode, whereas, that was not a problem in 5.0.3. I don't know all the fancy to get to the jar files, etc. Do you have a simple tar or bin file fix for the right edge chop off in landscape?

The only other difference that I can see from menu surfing in 5.0.4 is an added Legal notice below the Device Info at Menu->Settings->Menu->Legal (maybe it was there before, but I don't remember?).

My only warning about updating to 5.0.4 with YiFan.Lu jailbreaked was that my KT got real flaky getting error popups like

"Unable to Start Application. The selected application could not be started. Please try again. (Close button)".

But after some hard re-booting (I don't exactly remember everything that I did), the KT seems to be stable with 5.0.4, including the jailbreak, screen rotation hack, etc.
A-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Chopped off letters in landscape mode were a problem on 5.0.3 already. See the respective posts therefore, for my KT I can confirm this. Reinstalling the hack solves this, a file from 5.0.1 replaces the actual file. No clue if this has further implications.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
UltimateO
UltimateO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.0.4
New member here.

Just bought my first kindle touch and updated it to 5.0.4.

I can confirm that jailbreak (with yifanlu's GUI Launcer, landscape mode and custom screensaver hack) works if installed to a KT with 5.0.4.

EDIT: It seems that the letters in landscape mode are indeed chopped off.
EDIT2: KTRotate_0.2 by seaniko7 fixed the letter issue but now pictures in .mobi files won't display correctly (right side of the picture is chopped off).

Last edited by UltimateO; 03-03-2012 at 04:50 AM.
UltimateO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-I View Post
The only other difference that I can see from menu surfing in 5.0.4 is an added Legal notice below the Device Info at Menu->Settings->Menu->Legal (maybe it was there before, but I don't remember?).
It was already there
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

According to Geekmaster Amazon updated the Linux kernel.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
diba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateO View Post
New member here.

Just bought my first kindle touch and updated it to 5.0.4.

I can confirm that jailbreak (with yifanlu's GUI Launcer, landscape mode and custom screensaver hack) works if installed to a KT with 5.0.4.

EDIT: It seems that the letters in landscape mode are indeed chopped off.
EDIT2: KTRotate_0.2 by seaniko7 fixed the letter issue but now pictures in .mobi files won't display correctly (right side of the picture is chopped off).
This was already with 5.0.3 the case, either all the text or full pictures.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
Nyoxi
Connoisseur
Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.Nyoxi can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle Touch
Changes to GPL sources

Quote:
Somebody on IRC last night mentioned that the md5sum of almost all files changed, and kernel changes too.
Just to clarify the things:
  • The md5sum of all GPL source tarballs changed (because the modification time in gzip header changed)
  • The content of all tarballs is the same up to linux-2.6.31.tar.gz
  • The only changed file is fs/ext3/inode.c
Nyoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoxi View Post
Just to clarify the things:
  • The md5sum of all GPL source tarballs changed (because the modification time in gzip header changed)
  • The content of all tarballs is the same up to linux-2.6.31.tar.gz
  • The only changed file is fs/ext3/inode.c
So only one file changed in the kernel? They also changed the search bar shortcuts definitions from a .js to a .json file and moved it to its parent folder.

Not much of an update... Was there a serious bug in the kernel inode.c?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Does this update change the appreg.db database (or its path) used to insert WAF's handlerIds?
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #27
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
They also changed the search bar shortcuts definitions from a .js to a .json file and moved it to its parent folder.
That was already done in 5.0.3 ...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #28
aditya3098
Valar
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle touch (hacked to the core) 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Does this update change the appreg.db database (or its path) used to insert WAF's handlerIds?
No. All my apps work.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #29
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
No. All my apps work.
Thanks a lot!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That was already done in 5.0.3 ...
As I mentioned, I compared 5.0.0 to 5.0.3. Because 5.0.4 INCLUDES all earlier updates, this update did as I described (on MY kindle). But for those who already HAD 5.0.3, you are right, and the only apparent change was then just the kernel upgrade, which apparently only had changes to the inode.c module.

Did anybody look at WHAT changed in inode.c yet? Did they fix a serious bug? Otherwise, what was the urgency of bothering with this update? There are almost no apparent changes since 5.0.0, unless this update UNDID something that was done by 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 or 5.0.3 (which I did not install).

I still need the 5.0.3 source code...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.