Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 203
Karma: 1001369
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
How to preserve a large image in a mobi

Hi all.

I've had a quick search and similar questions exist but i don't think this has been asked before.

I'm writing a small doc that involves a map. I want to keep the map it's original size.

I was hoping to be able to have it so that if a kindle user could zoom and pan the map.

Is this even possible? I tried a preview in the kindle self publish web pages but the results were (as I'm sure every here has guessed) very poor.

If it's possible, which program / technique achieves it?

Many thanks
Dave
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dwig's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1351860
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Paradise (Key West, FL)
Device: Current:Kindle 3/WiFi Retired:Clie - UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
...
I was hoping to be able to have it so that if a kindle [sic] user could zoom and pan the map.
...
Since you use the term "Kindle" without specifying a model the answer is "maybe, depending on the model used".

All Kindle models so far will allow you to place a small image in the text while allowing the user to expand the image to full screen by selecting the image (actual method varies with model). Only the Kindle Fire allows zooming further so that you can pan around a larger than screen size image.

In all cases, to make this work you place the image in the text specifying the default size in the <img> tag. Assuming you are creating an ePub or HTML source document and a 1200x1600 pixel image you could place it using:
<img src=".../images/map.gig" width=150 height=200>

Kindle Fire users could zoom to full screen or further. Users of other Kindles would only be able to zoom to full screen limiting them to a 600x800 representation of the image.

To be successful, you map would need to be readable at that 600x800 display size. If it's too detailed, you may want to cut it into sections and place the several sections in the text instead.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 203
Karma: 1001369
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Since you use the term "Kindle" without specifying a model the answer is "maybe, depending on the model used".

All Kindle models so far will allow you to place a small image in the text while allowing the user to expand the image to full screen by selecting the image (actual method varies with model). Only the Kindle Fire allows zooming further so that you can pan around a larger than screen size image.

In all cases, to make this work you place the image in the text specifying the default size in the <img> tag. Assuming you are creating an ePub or HTML source document and a 1200x1600 pixel image you could place it using:
<img src=".../images/map.gig" width=150 height=200>

Kindle Fire users could zoom to full screen or further. Users of other Kindles would only be able to zoom to full screen limiting them to a 600x800 representation of the image.

To be successful, you map would need to be readable at that 600x800 display size. If it's too detailed, you may want to cut it into sections and place the several sections in the text instead.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
It was generally for the 6" 3g.

I tried splitting the image into 4 and even doing it by a 2 x 2 table. All conversions were poor. I now realise how limited ebook readers are for anything too much more than basic text and inline small pictures

Last edited by scissors; 02-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dwig's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1351860
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Paradise (Key West, FL)
Device: Current:Kindle 3/WiFi Retired:Clie - UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
I now realise how limited ebook readers are for anything too much more than basic text and inline small pictures
Actually, you can get decent images in ebooks, though the images need to be appropriate for the resolution available.

I've attached a MOBI demo with a map I had around as part of a possible project for an illustrated ebook. I've also attached the ePUB from which it was generated. (Please forgive the imprecise splitting of the map, this is just a quick test)

I've done a few illustrated ebooks that work well in MOBI format. You might check out "The Agony Column" by Earl Derr Biggers and Jerome K Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" that I have post on this site: http://lp.happythursday.com
Attached Files
File Type: epub map test.epub (109.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: mobi map test - dwig.mobi (599.8 KB, 97 views)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Lazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 174
Karma: 1498858
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Kindle 3
My book about forensic ballistic evidence has 55 photos in it and it "reads" very well on a Kindle 2 or 3. I have not seen it on the original Kindle. Without the images, my book would be worthless.

You can't zoom an image larger than the 600 x 800 screen on the Kindle. Certainly no panning. If you can keep your map to something graphically simple it should work just fine. Kindle books with photos viewed on iPads or other color readers have zoom capabilities beyond what the Kindle will do.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 203
Karma: 1001369
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Actually, you can get decent images in ebooks, though the images need to be appropriate for the resolution available.

I've attached a MOBI demo with a map I had around as part of a possible project for an illustrated ebook. I've also attached the ePUB from which it was generated. (Please forgive the imprecise splitting of the map, this is just a quick test)

I've done a few illustrated ebooks that work well in MOBI format. You might check out "The Agony Column" by Earl Derr Biggers and Jerome K Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" that I have post on this site: http://lp.happythursday.com
That's pretty good. However I'm working with open office to produce a doc file. I did try writer2epub to get an epub to maybe edit it sigil - but writer2epub just throws up a macro error. I don't have the patience for it.

I guess i'm going to make the map more of a simple line drawing...
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 203
Karma: 1001369
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
I've split an image into 4 and made a 9cm x 12cm formatted page in microsoft publisher and place the 4 quarters in place (centered).

I exported to html and conveted to mobi with calibre.

The result almost works. The top 2 quarters are correct - but the 3rd (bottom left) is to the right on quarter 2 (Top rh) and the last quarter has move to bottom left.

On kindle for PC if I reduce the width on the window the images move into place.
(BTW this doesn't seem to happen if converted to an epub).

The conversion is creating images too small for the kindle 3g so that three can fit width wise.

What size should the images be in order that they don't get resized?
Each of the jpgs were about 240x300 pixels which i though would be okay.

I've attached the test mobi.

Cheers for any guidance
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: mobi kindle - DAve.mobi (24.1 KB, 88 views)
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dwig's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1351860
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Paradise (Key West, FL)
Device: Current:Kindle 3/WiFi Retired:Clie - UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
What size should the images be in order that they don't get resized?
Each of the jpgs were about 240x300 pixels which i though would be okay.
Judging from the appearance of the MOBI, the images are more like 120x150.

I would suggest that you put a <br /> tag between the 2nd and 3rd image and wrap all four in a <div> tag, perhaps applying a style (class) to the <div> to center the set. The images should be something near 600x800 pixels each to get the best resolution when enlarged to full screen. You then set the height and width in the <img> tags to a smaller size with the width is slightly less than 300 and the height proportional.

Check out my ePub from the earlier post to see this type of coding. If you don't already use it, I suggest you get Sigil to view/edit the code and styles in an ePub.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 203
Karma: 1001369
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Judging from the appearance of the MOBI, the images are more like 120x150.

I would suggest that you put a <br /> tag between the 2nd and 3rd image and wrap all four in a <div> tag, perhaps applying a style (class) to the <div> to center the set. The images should be something near 600x800 pixels each to get the best resolution when enlarged to full screen. You then set the height and width in the <img> tags to a smaller size with the width is slightly less than 300 and the height proportional.

Check out my ePub from the earlier post to see this type of coding. If you don't already use it, I suggest you get Sigil to view/edit the code and styles in an ePub.
hi dwg.
The <br /> command did indeed work once I figured out where it should go.
(the epub was a bit more complicated than your example).

I also found the setting image size was actually done in the Css file produced by calibre (In my case I think I altered callibre12 style).

Anyway - I was thinking maybe 2 images 800w X 600H stacked on top of each other. When you zoom will these get rotated to fill the screen?

Thanks
Dave
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dwig's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1351860
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Paradise (Key West, FL)
Device: Current:Kindle 3/WiFi Retired:Clie - UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
...

Anyway - I was thinking maybe 2 images 800w X 600H stacked on top of each other. When you zoom will these get rotated to fill the screen?

Thanks
Dave
Yes, the Kindle "zoom" feature rotates the images, if necessary, to best fit the screen.

You may find that its best to scale these two 800x600 images so that the initial display is a bit less than 600x800 for the pair. A little breathing room around the images will help prevent the ereader from splitting them onto two separate screens. Displaying each piece at 500x375 should do the trick.

Last edited by dwig; 02-25-2012 at 08:29 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patch: Preserve language setting for mobi and epub files. siebert Calibre 0 07-17-2011 04:29 PM
preserve images on converting to MOBI joselitux Calibre 7 05-28-2010 05:49 AM
preserve table format when converting mobi to rtf moogoogai Calibre 4 02-26-2010 12:50 PM
BeBook and large mobi files spaze Kindle Formats 16 08-19-2009 07:11 AM
Large type (Mobi/CyBook)? PhysicsTeacher Reading and Management 4 05-25-2005 03:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.