Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
JK Rowling announces new novel

It was recently announced that JK Rowling will be publishing a new book. The details all seem to be rather vague at this point, but one thing that is known is that the book will be aimed at adults instead of kids. It also looks like Little Brown will be the publisher (same publisher as Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And 20 years from now, I suppose she'll announce plans for an ebook edition of said work-in-progress?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Since this book is targeted at adults, I wonder if children will adore it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Since I didn't think much of Harry Potter, you'll have to excuse me if I just yawn at this announcement. Of course now she can market mediocrity to a whole new set of victims, er, readers.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Since I didn't think much of Harry Potter, you'll have to excuse me if I just yawn at this announcement. Of course now she can market mediocrity to a whole new set of victims, er, readers.
Well many of the kids who were young when the first one came out are now young adults, who are probably ripe for the picking for her "grownup" material. (my oldest daughter was 7 or 8, and will be 22 soon) She never was really into the books much, though.

I do think JKR is clever to target her now grownup fans.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-23-2012 at 10:19 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Potter may have been mediocre, but it did breathe new life into fantasy the way Star Wars helped sci-fi. I doubt we'd have had the wide spectrum of fantasy available today if she hadn't published it.

Sometimes a mediocre work at the right time is better than a masterpiece at the wrong one.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd be interested to see what it's about. I didn't care much for HP (couldn't get into it after a few attempts), but I did like her writing style.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Instead of starting a new book, she should be lighting a fire under the people running Pottermore. She hyped it like crazy and it has been delayed, and reports are that the trial isn't running very smoothly either. Oh yeah, and still no Harry Potter ebooks.

I won't buy any new material from her until the Harry Potter books are released as ebooks.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I, for one, am looking forward to it.

However, I'm a bit miffed that other authors don't get this much press when they announce a new book.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It seems like it is in fashion to dis things that are popular. the Harry Potter series, nay franchise, probably the most popular and best selling books written in most people here's lifetime... and also exteemly popular and top money making movies.

I'm not saying everyone did or had to like it... but give some respect where it is due. The popularity was no fluke, and I for one am sure I will be getting Rowling's new book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm interested to find out more about this new book.

Personally I liked the Potter books quite a bit and am interested to see what else she comes up with. I do wish they'd get Pottermore straightened out, I ran through the content put up for the beta within a couple days of launch and logged in a few days ago to find the site the same except that it appeared it might be running a bit smoother although still a bit rough.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I too am looking forward to the new book. I enjoyed the HP series, and so did my two boys as they grew up. It's funny to hear people disparage the writing ability of popular writers like Rowling, Meyers, and Brown, but I enjoy reading these "mediocre" authors (who write far better than I could ever hope to). Yet, I'm bored to sleep by many of the greats of literature.

By the way, I've heard speculation that Rowling's new book may be a mystery. Regardless, I plan on reading it.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I loved the Harry Potter books and I am looking forward to what Ms. Rowling does next. I don't understand why people who don't like her books feel the need to come into this thread to announce that they don't care about this announcement. Good for you, I guess?
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Potter may have been mediocre, but it did breathe new life into fantasy the way Star Wars helped sci-fi. I doubt we'd have had the wide spectrum of fantasy available today if she hadn't published it.

Sometimes a mediocre work at the right time is better than a masterpiece at the wrong one.
I never thought much of Star Wars as sci-fi, although as fantasy and allegory it had a certain appeal.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote