Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #271
mexmike
mexmike began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi Mexmike

As far as I know the diagrams are B&W
Why did you have to buy JetBook Color then?
You did not say anything about he clarity of the diagrams.
Are they shown much clearer considering the bigger size of the screen?

tks
PF
Hi PF4Mobile, Thanks for your input.

Whether the schematics are colour or not depends on the source, however, my interest was to view aircraft schematics printed to Adobe Acrobat Printer. I was hoping to easily zoom and pan using the pen, which turned out to have to be done by using the buttons and menu selection (time consuming). I could read the values only at full zoom but this depends on the size and quality of the original schematic I guess. I wanted to carry the Jetbook with me around the aircraft instead of heavy manuals or sheets of paper, make annotations etc. A finger sensitive touch screen, allowing pan and zoom would have been amazing but only pen input was acceptable. Unfortunately this doesn't work as expected.
mexmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #272
mexmike

Does anyone know if the harware for wifi is present or is the sliding button only for power on and off?

I wrote to Leslie Green with my queries and he replied as below...
Ectaco Inc.,
mailto:leslieg@ectaco.com

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your email.

We are working on the JetBook Color updates so the browser should be updated
either on 03/01/12 or 04/01/12.

We will send you the updated version as soon as it is ready.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #273
mexmike

I hope that someone develops firmware for the Jetbook Colour, similar to the firmware available for the Sony PRS 950. Then we won't have to depend on the manufacturer. It's not perfect but every iteration improves on the original and is fully uninstallable.

See...
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/
Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #274
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-650, Jetbook Color
I received this email:

Hi Angelo,
Thanks for your enquiry.
The jetBook Color has the WiFi chip built-in and needs to be activated by a browser. This should be released in the next update on March 1st or April 1st the latest.
It should also link you to publishers, bookstores, and more.
Hope I helped, and if you need anything else just let me know.

Best Regards,
Greg Stetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmike View Post
Does anyone know if the harware for wifi is present or is the sliding button only for power on and off?

I wrote to Leslie Green with my queries and he replied as below...
Ectaco Inc.,
mailto:leslieg@ectaco.com

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your email.

We are working on the JetBook Color updates so the browser should be updated
either on 03/01/12 or 04/01/12.

We will send you the updated version as soon as it is ready.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #275
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, Jetbook Mini, Jetbook Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Where did this price come from?!!!
their main page @ http://www.jetbook.net/
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #276
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmike View Post
Hi PF4Mobile, Thanks for your input.

Whether the schematics are colour or not depends on the source, however, my interest was to view aircraft schematics printed to Adobe Acrobat Printer. I was hoping to easily zoom and pan using the pen, which turned out to have to be done by using the buttons and menu selection (time consuming). I could read the values only at full zoom but this depends on the size and quality of the original schematic I guess. I wanted to carry the Jetbook with me around the aircraft instead of heavy manuals or sheets of paper, make annotations etc. A finger sensitive touch screen, allowing pan and zoom would have been amazing but only pen input was acceptable. Unfortunately this doesn't work as expected.
E-ink technology isn't really optimized for fluid motion. Therefor zooming and panning aren't going as well as they could on an LCD screen.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #277
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-650, Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
their main page @ http://www.jetbook.net/
WoW!!!!
it's much higher than http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/

Luckily I bought it from ectaco.com
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #278
LeftyRight
LeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Well it looks like LuBiB is famous :-

Quote:
So, a few days ago, appeared on the forums Mobileread fairly complete and articulated a review of the device by a user who has purchased and that we now we’re going to summarize, in order to obtain some general guidelines.
Code:
http://laptoptabletpc.co.uk/ectaco-jetbook-color-ebook-reader/
Well done mate.

cheers

LeftyRight
LeftyRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #279
paperwastage
Zealot
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite, jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Most baby boomers wearing glasses have it from reading books. Most x-generation have it from computer and TV screens with too high bright settings and radiation levels.
LCD does not radiate 'dangerous' (for the eye) radiation like a CRT.
Most late 80's and later CRT's have a filter to filter out this radiation.
Modern LCD's that are based on LED lights, have even less an issue with radiation.
surprisingly, there hasn't been solid evidence that reading books causes eye problems. evidence points to our eyes (born not perfectly round), but children / teenagers etc have the eye-power/strength to focus and ignore the error... as they age, they lose this eye-power/strength to focus, and get hyperopia/myopia

Myopia, nearsightedness

Hyperopia, farsightedness

anyways, I ordered a jetbook color from jetbookk12.com (cannot find it on the main ectaco site ....

played around with WinCE 6 before, maybe i'll find some way to play with this as well... planning to complement this with my kindle DX G(since that one has free 3G)

btw, this page shows jetbook Color at $379

http://www.jetbookk12.com/comparison/

Last edited by paperwastage; 02-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #280
andyh2000
Fanatic
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini phone / Kindle 4 Black / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
btw, this page shows jetbook Color at $379

http://www.jetbookk12.com/comparison/
Unfortunately I think that's the subsidised price for schools not individuals.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #281
darien
darien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watchdarien is clearly one to watch

Russian firmware already published
http://translate.google.com.co/trans...26prmd%3Dimvns
darien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #282
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
This is the same firmware as ours, just in Russian. Probably most of us have the Eng-Span version, this is just the corresponding Eng-Rus one.

Btw. In bright sun light the colors become almost not washed out .
Very good light conditions are a prerequisite for a good experience on this device, maybe that's also a good thing, it reminds you that your eyes also need very good light conditions for prolonged reading sessions.

Last edited by por; 02-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #283
paperwastage
Zealot
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite, jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post
This is the same firmware as ours, just in Russian. Probably most of us have the Eng-Span version, this is just the corresponding Eng-Rus one.

Btw. In bright sun light the colors become almost not washed out .
Very good light conditions are a prerequisite for a good experience on this device, maybe that's also a good thing, it reminds you that your eyes also need very good light conditions for prolonged reading sessions.
i assume this is because of how color eINK is made (color filters over the individual pixel... need good light to go through the filter, lose some magnitude from the filter absorbing some of the energy, bounce back out to reach your eyes)

when I get one, I'll try to post a HD video of it in bright sunlight vs my kindle DX G (and my friend's ipad2 if I manage to borrow it)

Last edited by paperwastage; 02-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #284
andyh2000
Fanatic
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini phone / Kindle 4 Black / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
i assume this is because of how color eINK is made (color filters over the individual pixel... need good light to go through the filter, lose some magnitude from the filter absorbing some of the energy, bounce back out to reach your eyes)
The fabrication method seems to leave a small gap around the edge of each colour filter to let more light in but it's still a lower contrast technology than the equivalent black and white eInk pearl screen. See the attachment to this post for a picture of the filters: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=20

I've also found that the more light there is on the screen the more uniform and white the background looks (ie all the pixels with RGB filters in front of them that are set on white). In dull conditions the filtered pixels are quite prominent in a checker board pattern - as shown in the attachment here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=13

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #285
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Interesting,
So what would you call 'Optimal light conditions' to see the colors the brightest?
Low light, warmer (yellow) light from incandescents, or white light like those from leds and TL lamps?

I suppose there must be a sweet spot somewhere, like reading with a 25, 60, or 100W incandescent bulb on your night stand...?

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review