Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
4691mls
Evangelist
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Syncing library books

I gave up on syncing everything between the PC and PRS-T1 because of the bookmark duplication problem (see older thread entitled "sync causes duplication of bookmarks").

I'm trying to figure out how to handle books from the public library which are downloaded onto my PC. I can't seem to find a good way to do this with the Reader for PC software.

If I select only books newly downloaded from the public library and do a partial sync, the new books are loaded onto the PRS-T1. However, any library books that were already on the PRS-T1 are deleted.

If I select all library books, including both those newly downloaded and any which were previously synced to the PRS-T1, all the library books do appear on the PRS-T1. However, I lose all bookmarks from the library books that had already been on the PRS-T1, and I have to hunt through the books to find my place.

Has anybody found a way around this? I haven't yet tried Calibre - does it work on library books? The only other thing I can think of is to buy a wireless router so I could bypass the PC altogether. However, I hate to spend the money when I don't have any other need for home wifi.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Calibre works just fine with library books. I use it to transfer library books to my Sony and Boox all the time.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
4691mls
Evangelist
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good to know! Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Calibre works with library books IF you have the Tools installed. Library books have DRM so you can't get them into Calibre without stripping the DRM.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
GeckoFriend
Fanatic
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-1, Kindle Fire
I download library books directly to the T1 using the web browser. That was the primary reason I chose the T1.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
4691mls
Evangelist

Thanks for the warning about Calibre/tools/DRM.

I would have buy and figure out how to install a wireless router to be able to download direct. Seems like an expensive way to go just to be able to avoid sync issues with library books...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Calibre works with library books IF you have the Tools installed. Library books have DRM so you can't get them into Calibre without stripping the DRM.

eP
This is not accurate. You can load the library books into Calibre just fine. You just can't open them in Calibre. As long as you have the correct Adobe ID on the Sony, a library book transferred from Calibre to your Sony should open just fine.

That said, Apprentice Alf is what you want to google to find the tools, and they are well worth the struggle to install in Calibre.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 02-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
jshoughton
Enthusiast
jshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony Reader Wifi (PRS-T1) & Nook Simple Touch
4691mls: actually wireless routers are pretty cheap these days. I recently set up a wireless router with built in ADSL modem for £12 (about $19US) for a neighbour. Though I can't guarantee how easy it would be to set up - that varies wildly from brand to brand. I've always found Belkins to be easy to set up, though I've read about problems of reliability I've never found them to be that bad - especially as most of their products come with a lifetime warranty.
jshoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
4691mls
Evangelist

jshoughton - thanks for the tip - I didn't realize routers had gotten so cheap. I might look into getting one.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
This is not accurate. You can load the library books into Calibre just fine. You just can't open them in Calibre. As long as you have the correct Adobe ID on the Sony, a library book transferred from Calibre to your Sony should open just fine.
That's not been my experience (at least with the PRS-350). I can sync purchased DRM'ed ebooks to my Sony using Calibre or even through simple drag and drop but I need either Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader for PC if I want to sync DRM'ed library ebooks. If I just copy the library books via Calibre or Explorer, it says I'm not authorized on the Reader. Guessing the reason for this is related to dates and syncing expiration.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
The current Reader for PC fixes the bookmark/sync bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
4691mls
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The current Reader for PC fixes the bookmark/sync bug.
Yes, it did fix the duplicate bookmark problem.

Maybe someday a future update will make it possible to sync just the newest library books without deleting anything else at the same time.... not counting on that, though.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
pootchie
pootchie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I had a duplicate bookmark problem but I did the reader app update and the problem is solved. But I have another problem, when I sync the reader to my pc some ebooks gets duplicated on my reader. Then if I delete one of the duplicated ebook, both ebooks are deleted. So I have to sync again and then another ebook gets duplicated. I had that problem before doing the reader app update and it did not solve that issue. Anyone ever had an ebooks duplication issue?
pootchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #14
jshoughton
Enthusiast
jshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony Reader Wifi (PRS-T1) & Nook Simple Touch
I also have had the book duplication issue. I'm not sure what causes it but I think it might be a duplication of the entry in the readers internal database rather than a file duplication issue, as wheb i looked at the reader storage they definitely werent duplicated. To fix it i removed all the books that duplicated and then resynced - after deleting them try shutting the reader down and switching back on before syncing them back. That seemed to work. Hasn't been a problem since.

I suspect someone with a more technical knowledge may be able to suggest how to fix the database directly.
jshoughton is offline   Reply With Quote