Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
M.Serge
M.Serge began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Noises coming from the inside on boot/browsing?

Hey All,

So I just noticed today a strange noise coming out of the reader on boot and sometimes when I browse the web. I can clearly hear a periodic "scratching" kinda noise from the inside, synced with every turn of the arrows that shows on the screen right after the boot. This also happened once, when I was browsing the web and the page was taking far too long to load. I am guessing it has something to do with the access to the hard drive, but is this a normal occurence? Anybody experienced anything like this?
M.Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Teknikal
Evangelist
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Nexus-7
Not sure I wouldn't think it would even have a hard drive in honesty, as thin as it is and with the 2gb storage I would really expect it to have to be flash memory. It's not completely uncommon for electronics to hum but very few can people hear it. I suppose it's also possible there a tiny fan on the cpu or something but with ARM I don't think it would be needed.

My only worry if I heard a noise would be something dodgy with the battery, the odds are against that though. All in all I'd say it's probably nothing to worry about.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Serge View Post
I am guessing it has something to do with the access to the hard drive, but is this a normal occurence? Anybody experienced anything like this?
Bad guess, no HDD. It uses flash memory.

=Laserjock=
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
The fanbelt's probably gone.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, Kindle PW
Usually, this means that the hyperdrive is acting up. If you want to be sure, you can isolate it, by cutting out the sub-light engines.
Avwriter is online now   Reply With Quote