Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Library downloads policy change

Okay, I haven't seen this posted, but it looks interesting. Seems the biggest complaint about library downloads is the wait time, correct?

I received the following notice from my library, haven't researched it yet but it looks promising. How they do this is beyond me, but it has to be legal. Perhaps someone else on this board who has access to Maricopa County Library District has offer more information.

February 7, 2012
Dear Library Customer:
Are you tired of waiting for an e-Book to be returned to our digital collection so you can check it out? Help has arrived!
MCLD is providing a new way to download e-Books without having to wait for materials to be returned. Multiple users can simultaneously check out the same title for up to two weeks plus a two-week renewal period if needed.
The new system is called Freading and it offers more than 12,000 titles.
Titles can be obtained using every major digital device including Kindle Fire. The system does not work with other Kindle devices.
To check out e-Books, log on to www.mcldaz.org and click the Download Center tab. Activate Adobe Digital editions, click the title and then click the download button.From your Android or iOS device, download the Freading App.
For more information, please contact our Virtual Branch at (602) 652-3000.To register your reaction to the new service, please access http://libcat.mcldaz.org/contactus/contact.cfm.
Sincerely,
Andrew Chanse
MCLD Innovations and Strategies Administrator
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
They do it by charging you money:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ched-freading/

Still seems like a nice option. My wife would certainly like it at our library.

But, sing it with me now, "Freading isn't Free!"

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, 350, 950, Fire, Glo
I'd have no problem with the price. I pay more than that for ebooks I'll never read again and this provides the same satisfaction, ie, reading on demand.

The very sticky issue will be just what books they offer. The list of publishers they were puffing (and I have to assume they are the best they've got) said "Warning! Warning! We have nothing you'd actually want to read!"
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Titles can be obtained using every major digital device including Kindle Fire. The system does not work with other Kindle devices.
Is this a misprint? Why wouldn't other Kindle devices be included?
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
Is this a misprint? Why wouldn't other Kindle devices be included?
Perhaps because it's ADE/Epub based, and the other Kindles can't support that.
(Without help....)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Perhaps because it's ADE/Epub based, and the other Kindles can't support that.
(Without help....)
I didn't know the Fire could handle epubs. Makes sense with the help of apps. This program is a good step, but its really not for me.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
ApK
What did you call me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
I didn't know the Fire could handle epubs. Makes sense with the help of apps.
Yup, good thread on it here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156983

It's turning out to be a pretty capable little tablet, not nearly as locked into Amazon's ecosystem as I feared it would be.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
For me, I would rather not pay to check out library books. I applaud their effort to alleviate the wait times, but I won't use the service.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
glendalekid
Enthusiast
glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505
It is not the borrower who directly pays for the service, even though on the Freading web site it does sound as if the patron will pay directly. It is the library. The library I belong to has signed up for this service. You have "X" number of "tokens" to spend at Freading each month. Tokens expire every four weeks, if not used. Supposedly, when checking onto Freading you see how many tokens you can use to check out books. I did not see any amount there for me though.

Selection is not large -- but in the Mystery section, a large number of books are of the "cozy" type. However, I did check out three books - One 2 token book, and two 1 token books. Of these books, two were from authors I have not read before. The third is an author that I had wanted to read her last book but it has up to now only been available in audiobook. After that, when I used the mouse to hover over a book description I receive the message that I had used all my tokens.

I probably will not return to Freading.
glendalekid is offline   Reply With Quote