Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #121
GA Russell
Stampeders clinch first!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
Thanks!

I downloaded the Style guide during last year's Read an eBook Week, so I'll get to that.

I'm writing a simple novel without graphs and illustrations.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #122
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'll second Mr Coker there, I've had no trouble with the meatgrinder for my novels or short stories.

Can anyone tell me if Pubit is open to non US citizens these days or even a link to find it? I'm in the UK.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #123
GA Russell
Stampeders clinch first!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Can anyone tell me if Pubit is open to non US citizens these days or even a link to find it? I'm in the UK.
MTM, try this:
http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubi...?t=pi_reg_home
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #124
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooo. Thanks.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #125
GA Russell
Stampeders clinch first!

You're welcome!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #126
Mac Carthy
Mac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic something

Device: none
Guidelines

GREAT IDEA!!! Especially the bit about how to set up one's own store and sell from the website. YOU GO GIRL!!!
Mac Carthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #127
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I saw this proposal on Kickstarter to create a publishing site for ebooks released under creative commons licenses at leebre.org, and thought it might be of interest to people here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-social-publis
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #128
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That fact that the vast majority of ebooks currently being sold are sold through the Amazon Kindle store?
But some ebooks I have treid to find and have not beens old on amazon but more bespoke websites, thats the onla reason I atrated using others
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #129
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Question on the business side to self-publishers. As a self-publisher, do you just put your name as the publisher, or have you created your own publishing company? If you have set up a publishing company, have you registered it, or created a separate entity?
What are the pros and cons of each?
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #130
pdurrant
The Ghost Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodRing View Post
But some ebooks I have treid to find and have not beens old on amazon but more bespoke websites, thats the onla reason I atrated using others
I didn't mean number of titles (although I wouldn't be surprised to find that Amazon had more titles than anyone else), but that Amazon sold more copies of ebooks than anyone else, by a large margin.

This is obviously of interest to people wanting to sell ebooks. (Note title of this thread.)

Of course, as a reader, one buys ebooks from whichever legitimate outlet offers the book you want to buy at the best combination of price and convenience.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #131
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
I've had some success publishing my books on IvaNovella www.ivanovella.com

They are new which is not always bad, but there are no fees and they don't like DRM.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #132
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Hmmm..... I appreciate the information, but there are several strikes against ether as far as I'm concerned. iOnly is bad, I can publish myself for free without any contests etc. on many platforms including iStuff and actully get paid for it. Now there could be some good in shared publicity but not sure it would get to my target audience just as there is in giving away free ebooks and downloads, but....

Anyway, thanks but no thanks from me.
kennyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #133
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've recently taken the plunge into self-publishing some of my work as eBooks. I went through Smashwords, as well as amazon, since the two aren't linked up. Although Amazon is a definite heavyweight, I dislike that you cannot put free books on amazon.

The Smashwords meatgrinder seemed to work well for me, although I think that Amazon converted my work into a slightly better looking product. I'm only a few days into this, so I'll re-post in a week or two with how it's going!
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #134
orlok
Getting back into it
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echase View Post
I've recently taken the plunge into self-publishing some of my work as eBooks. I went through Smashwords, as well as amazon, since the two aren't linked up. Although Amazon is a definite heavyweight, I dislike that you cannot put free books on amazon.

The Smashwords meatgrinder seemed to work well for me, although I think that Amazon converted my work into a slightly better looking product. I'm only a few days into this, so I'll re-post in a week or two with how it's going!
Good luck, and I would be interested to hear how it progresses for you.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #135
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echase View Post
Update: Smashwords now accepts epubs.

http://www.smashwords.com/swdirect
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote