Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Streadmob
Streadmob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Delivery Costs/MB – is that Zipped or Unzipped?

Hi All –

The Kindle pricing page quotes a delivery cost of $0.10 or £0.10 per MB for the 70% royalty rate, but is that zipped or unzipped? Using Calibre, my .mobi is 7MB but the .zip is 3.7MB, which clearly affects the choice of price for an image-rich book, even when all that can be GIFf'ed is!

If anyone can give the answer to this, I'd be most grateful.

Actually, perhaps I could also ask if anyone knows if Amazon decides which chapters of the book to offer free, or if it's possible to offer a bundle of the first page of all the chapters instead, for example?

Cheers.
Streadmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
The file is not zipped when it's sent - it's the straight file size.

The sample is the first so many % of the book so no, you can't do as you suggest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Streadmob
Streadmob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks HarryT! Oh dear :-( Looks like a bit more expense and less profit!

So it is the first % then. Thanks. I might try stuffing the first pages of all the chapters into that initial % !

Cordially...

I have two Daleks, but both gold (gold plastic that is :-) ).
Streadmob is offline   Reply With Quote