Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Nook Color battery draining too quickly

So I have a Nook Color that I bought on the Daily Steal (I think it is a refurb) that is running CyanogenMod 7 from the S/D card. It's been great, except for one, really frustrating problem: the battery gets drained way too fast. I can charge it, then not even use it, but let it sit turned off, and when I come back 1-2 days later the battery will be totally drained.

At first we thought this is a wifi issue, so I've been turning off wi-fi manually (though I do have it set to come back on when the NC powers up). It doesn't seem to matter if wi-fi is on or not. I also thought, at first, it was only draining it in sleep mode, but I charged it a couple of days ago and never turned powered the device up, and the battery was still drained. (At least I'm pretty sure it was off, but honestly, I'm sometimes having trouble getting it to power down--I'll think it is off and it is only in sleep mode).

It's really frustrating. Any suggestions?
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
So I have a Nook Color that I bought on the Daily Steal (I think it is a refurb) that is running CyanogenMod 7 from the S/D card. It's been great, except for one, really frustrating problem: the battery gets drained way too fast. I can charge it, then not even use it, but let it sit turned off, and when I come back 1-2 days later the battery will be totally drained.

At first we thought this is a wifi issue, so I've been turning off wi-fi manually (though I do have it set to come back on when the NC powers up). It doesn't seem to matter if wi-fi is on or not. I also thought, at first, it was only draining it in sleep mode, but I charged it a couple of days ago and never turned powered the device up, and the battery was still drained. (At least I'm pretty sure it was off, but honestly, I'm sometimes having trouble getting it to power down--I'll think it is off and it is only in sleep mode).

It's really frustrating. Any suggestions?
I have not rooted my NC, but from what I have read this seems to be a bug in CM7 and this problem appears to be solved in CM7.1.
Google a bit for more information.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Sensation 4G (KK), Nexus 7b (KK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
but from what I have read this seems to be a bug in CM7 and this problem appears to be solved in CM7.1.
Google a bit for more information.
Yes, there were some versions of CM7 that had high battery usage while in standby. That was a couple of months ago, and the current CM7.1 seems to be very frugal with battery power. I am running it on both my NC and my HTC Desire.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought I had the most current version, but I may not, as I actually let my more tech savvy husband do this, rather than doing it myself. I'll google it, and see if I can fix the problem that way.

And thanks--I had a vague sense that I may have come across a reference to this as a problem, but couldn't find it was a search, but I knew someone would know and be able to direct me! You guys are great!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post

I charged it a couple of days ago and never turned powered the device up, and the battery was still drained.
This is happening here, too. I made sure the thing was totally off, charged it, and put it on the shelf. No one used it yesterday. Today I tried to turn it on and it is completely drained. It won't turn on while charging, still get the low battery message.

Is this normal? (I am using the n2a card that I just bought).

Hmmmm.....I may know the answer. I just read that when charging the NC turns itself ON. So when I unplugged it the other day, I should have woke it up and then turned it off.

Sound logical?

Last edited by booklover6; 12-30-2011 at 09:11 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
shibamistress
Groupie

That's pretty much what happened to me: it would turn itself on, including wifi, and stay on and drain the battery.

however, I just shifted to the latest nightly from here: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=encore and it runs fine now. (I guess I have 253) It's not coming on when charging, and the battery is not draining, so I'm pretty happy.

(Except for the fact that I thought this was an upgrade, not a new ROM, and so I didn't back everything up first. Which meant I had to replace everything on the Nook. D'oh! I won't make that mistake again!)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
The other thing I did to drain the battery, I thought I was turning it off, but I was only putting it to sleep. I am still learning this thing. I suppose it would be best to just leave it plugged in all night and maybe also anytime its not in use.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I woke up this morning to find that my new Nook Tablet's battery drained overnight for some reason. I had just put an SD card in it the night before, but it's just a regular one and doesn't have any custom firmware on it. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm wondering if putting the Tablet to sleep while a book on the memory card is left open might cause the battery to drain.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
My Nook Tablet is fully rooted and the battery was not holding too well.

I installed Juice Defender Plus for either .99 or 1.99 (I forget) and just let it run in default mode.

My battery life is appreciably better now. The App states that it has improved performance by a factor of 1.67.

This "Plus" version allows you to power-tweak settings as well if one really wants to go for the gold in time between charging.
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Two things that I have noticed so far that drain my NC's battery:

I installed Moon Phase Pro and from that day on I had to plug it in every night. Noticed this was the problem and uninstalled it. Works as it used to now.

I left my NC very close to my wifi router one night. Big mistake. Never leave it close to your router or extender.

Check in setup, apps, battery, to see whether you have an app that is drying it out.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote