Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #76
JoAnn77PL
Junior Member
JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.JoAnn77PL taught Chuck Norris how to fight.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 74972
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Poland
Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4 (non-touch)
So, I'm completely stuck - did everything according to Kubbur's video tutorial on hacking/changing screensavers up till the networking part. In my case (Win 7 32 bit) there is no way to open such a window where my network devices are visible. The only one device (after tedious looking for) was my own computer! What should I do?? Can I give up now and disconnect my Kindle?
JoAnn77PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #77
fcale
Junior Member
fcale began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcale View Post
I did the tutorial step by step, double checked the symbolic link, and verify it according to the tutorial,


Like this, when I type in No.3 and No.4, the current directory path shows "/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver" but not "/mnt/us/screensaver"...is here any problem?

The screensaver works; however there's a minor issue that when the K4 first time turns off, the screensaver will show a blank, after that, the screensaver will work fine no matter how many times the K4 turns off....
Any method to solve it? it makes me mad.....(having a little OCD)
and the OS is Mac Lion....10.7.2
dont know if the OS has any effect about the customization of kindle's screensaver?
fcale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #78
vtex
Junior Member
vtex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by colblaha View Post
To clarify, can a kindle with special offers display custom screensavers? I've gone through all the steps on my K4 NT w/SO in the .rtf attached further up, added an original screensaver to the new directory I created that Windows Explorer can see and restarted. I still see the advertisements.

Has anyone with a Kindle 4 with special offers gotten this to work?

Thanks!
You first have to disable the Special Offers. See here.

For all of you who think it is somehow unethical to do that, may I remind you that the Kindle runs GNU Linux. You are completely within your right to add files on the operating system (in this case a blank .assets file) as per the GPL.
vtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #79
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate
 
Posts: 395
Karma: 33660
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
It is not about modifying the system as such, but what you are doing, is getting an advantage without being willing to pay the price! Modify whatever you want, but is unethical to block the ads, if you got the device cheaper, part of the "contract", thats it!!
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #80
vtex
Junior Member
vtex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
It is not about modifying the system as such, but what you are doing, is getting an advantage without being willing to pay the price! Modify whatever you want, but is unethical to block the ads, if you got the device cheaper, part of the "contract", thats it!!
No, it isn't unethical. If anything, it would be copyright infringement to ban users from altering the underlying software that was not completely created by Amazon. Amazon chose to use GPL Software to power it's devices. Many people worked very hard developing that software and gave the legal protections to everyone so that they could modify, redistribute, or alter it.

GPL != Free to take and obtain exclusive rights to.
vtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #81
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 662
Karma: 170717
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
You first have to disable the Special Offers. See here.

For all of you who think it is somehow unethical to do that, may I remind you that the Kindle runs GNU Linux. You are completely within your right to add files on the operating system (in this case a blank .assets file) as per the GPL.
That is not what GPL is. GPL v3 is a software license that gives Amazon the right to use the software provided they contribute to the project and release the source (which they've done). It has nothing to do with the filesystem that the software is located on. In addition the ad manager is NOT GPL, it is amazon's code. Also, if amazon wants to prevent users from modifying the open source software, they can. The license is an agreement between Amazon and the open source software makers, not them and the users. Yes, you have the right to modify system files in my opinion, but it isn't because of the GPL license of the software. If you want to remove ads, fine, do so, but don't justify it with faulty arguments. I do not consider it illegal because I am for complete control of the device (although amazon may be of different opinion, in fact, in their TOS, jailbreaking in general is against their terms, which they could say is legally binding). I consider it unethical because the user given the choice of removing ads for $40 (unlike many services where the option is not provided at all) and by bypassing Amazon out of their $40 is unethical (regardless that they're a huge company that makes millions).

Last edited by yifanlu; 01-16-2012 at 02:05 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #82
vtex
Junior Member
vtex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
That is not what GPL is. GPL v3 is a software license that gives Amazon the right to use the software provided they contribute to the project and release the source (which they've done).
Actually, all of the open source programs on the Kindle are licensed under GPLv2, which is more restrictive. GPLv2 requires the source code to be released if you distribute the programs in a binary form. This requirement is in addition to other covenants that bar the restrictions of its use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
It has nothing to do with the filesystem that the software is located on.
You're forgetting that the underlying OS and filesystem are GPL software. You would be free to add files to it as you see fit as Amazon cannot impose restrictions on it's use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
In addition the ad manager is NOT GPL, it is amazon's code.
You bring up a valid point that some programs on the device cannot be freely distributed or modified as they are proprietary. This however does not extend to the simple act of adding a file to the operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Also, if amazon wants to prevent users from modifying the open source software, they can. The license is an agreement between Amazon and the open source software makers, not them and the users.
Shall we actually quote relevant parts of the GPLv2 here?

Quote:
Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
As you can see, as the recipient, I automatically receive the same license to modify the software from the original licensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Yes, you have the right to modify system files in my opinion, but it isn't because of the GPL license of the software. If you want to remove ads, fine, do so, but don't justify it with faulty arguments. I do not consider it illegal because I am for complete control of the device (although amazon may be of different opinion, in fact, in their TOS, jailbreaking in general is against their terms, which they could say is legally binding). I consider it unethical because the user given the choice of removing ads for $40 (unlike many services where the option is not provided at all) and by bypassing Amazon out of their $40 is unethical (regardless that they're a huge company that makes millions).
Well, you are welcome to your opinion I suppose. I have tried my best to justify my arguments here, which I do not believe are faulty. Amazon chose to use GPL software for the simple fact that it saves them a ton of money. They figured, correctly, that most users would not educate themselves about their rights and just use the product as-is.
vtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #83
xorphex
Junior Member
xorphex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle 4 nt
SSH via WIFI

I tried getting SSH via WIFI to work, but I'm stuck...
I used Belkaar's tutorial in the other thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873256).
That implies of course that I was able to connect via SSH in DIAG-Mode/USBnet (using linux).
Root-password was 'mario', though I'm on 4.0.1 and the python-script gave me 'fiona1def' as password.
Now, when I try to connect via WIFI (in normal-mode) 'mario' doesn't work. Neither does 'fiona1def'. I can, however, connect with username 'framework' and password 'mario', but without root-privileges...

Is there any configurationfile that differentiates between SSH via WIFI and USBnet? Or did I overlook anything?
xorphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #84
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 662
Karma: 170717
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
Actually, all of the open source programs on the Kindle are licensed under GPLv2, which is more restrictive. GPLv2 requires the source code to be released if you distribute the programs in a binary form. This requirement is in addition to other covenants that bar the restrictions of its use.



You're forgetting that the underlying OS and filesystem are GPL software. You would be free to add files to it as you see fit as Amazon cannot impose restrictions on it's use.



You bring up a valid point that some programs on the device cannot be freely distributed or modified as they are proprietary. This however does not extend to the simple act of adding a file to the operating system.



Shall we actually quote relevant parts of the GPLv2 here?



As you can see, as the recipient, I automatically receive the same license to modify the software from the original licensor.



Well, you are welcome to your opinion I suppose. I have tried my best to justify my arguments here, which I do not believe are faulty. Amazon chose to use GPL software for the simple fact that it saves them a ton of money. They figured, correctly, that most users would not educate themselves about their rights and just use the product as-is.
I'm not arguing against removing ads. I'm arguing against using "amazon uses open software" as an excuse for removing ads. Adding/removing a file on the file system has nothing to do with the software that runs on the same system. Now, if your argument is that: amazon uses open source software therefore I have a RIGHT to remove ads. That's just plain wrong. You have a right to remove ads because you own the device, not because the device runs open source software.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #85
vtex
Junior Member
vtex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorphex View Post
I tried getting SSH via WIFI to work, but I'm stuck...
I used Belkaar's tutorial in the other thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873256).
That implies of course that I was able to connect via SSH in DIAG-Mode/USBnet (using linux).
Root-password was 'mario', though I'm on 4.0.1 and the python-script gave me 'fiona1def' as password.
Now, when I try to connect via WIFI (in normal-mode) 'mario' doesn't work. Neither does 'fiona1def'. I can, however, connect with username 'framework' and password 'mario', but without root-privileges...

Is there any configurationfile that differentiates between SSH via WIFI and USBnet? Or did I overlook anything?
The password depends on the mounted root filesystem. If you are in the "DIAG-Mode" the default pw will be "mario". If you are in normal mode, the root pw will be the output of the python script. You can also use this script. Don't be worried about using it, it's all calculated in javascript locally (use firebug if you don't believe me).

If you can get a login prompt in normal mode through wi-fi, then likely the issue is your password. Make sure you aren't using dashes or spaces in the script you are using to obtain it.
vtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #86
xorphex
Junior Member
xorphex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle 4 nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
The password depends on the mounted root filesystem. If you are in the "DIAG-Mode" the default pw will be "mario". If you are in normal mode, the root pw will be the output of the python script. You can also use this script. Don't be worried about using it, it's all calculated in javascript locally (use firebug if you don't believe me).

If you can get a login prompt in normal mode through wi-fi, then likely the issue is your password. Make sure you aren't using dashes or spaces in the script you are using to obtain it.

Thank you for clarification.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work.
The output of the internetsite is the same as the python-script (surley, because it's the same algorithm).
'fiona1def'.
But I still get:

root@192.168.0.102's password:fiona1def
Permission denied, please try again.

Any other idea?


Edit:
I'm an idiot
Sorry, it was (obviously) my fault.
I thought the serial number was the number next to the firmware version...
When in fact, it was of course the number next to "serial number:".
Now it works!
Even so, thank you for your help

Last edited by xorphex; 01-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
xorphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #87
vtex
Junior Member
vtex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorphex View Post
Thank you for clarification.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work.
The output of the internetsite is the same as the python-script (surley, because it's the same algorithm).
'fiona1def'.
But I still get:

root@192.168.0.102's password:fiona1def
Permission denied, please try again.

Any other idea?


Edit:
I'm an idiot
Sorry, it was (obviously) my fault.
I thought the serial number was the number next to the firmware version...
When in fact, it was of course the number next to "serial number:".
Now it works!
Even so, thank you for your help
Glad to be of assistance. Now run "passwd" and change it to something you will remember.
vtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #88
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorphex View Post
I can, however, connect with username 'framework' and password 'mario', but without root-privileges...
I recommend logging in as framework:mario and saving the contents of /etc/shadow to a file on a host pc (using copy/paste) and using john the ripper to crack the root password. If it is a fionaXXX or fionaXXXX password, you can do that instantly with the wordlist provided in another thread.

You might try removing the last hex digit from your fionaXXXX password. On all of my kindles DX, DXG, and 3 different K3's, all of them used 3 hex digits.

UPDATE: all passwords are 8 characters or less, such as fionaXXX (3 hex digits). Extra characters are ignored.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-13-2012 at 12:55 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #89
xorphex
Junior Member
xorphex began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle 4 nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
Glad to be of assistance. Now run "passwd" and change it to something you will remember.
First thing I did after successfully logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I recommend logging in as framework:mario and saving the contents of /etc/shadow to a file on a host pc (using copy/paste) and using john the ripper to crack the root password. If it is a fionaXXX or fionaXXXX password, you can do that instantly with the wordlist provided in another thread.

You might try removing the last hex digit from your fionaXXXX password. On all of my kindles DX, DXG, and 3 different K3's, all of them used 3 hex digits.
That would have been my next step, the only setback was finding the right wordlist, because it's a bit diffcult to find my way around in this forum
Besides, I was more curious why the 'actual' password didn't work..
Now I know and everything is good
Thanks anyway
xorphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #90
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorphex View Post
That would have been my next step, the only setback was finding the right wordlist, because it's a bit diffcult to find my way around in this forum
fiona wordlist:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160490

Default passwords:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1915604

Password cracking details:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1916178

When searching mobileread forums, select "Show Posts" instead of the default "Show Threads". The default "Show Threads" is really stupid, IMHO.

P.S. The trouble with changing your root password is that you can forget it (like I did). I logged into framework:mario and used John to crack it, as shown in the cracking link above.

UPDATE: all passwords are 8 characters or less, such as fionaXXX (3 hex digits). Extra characters are ignored.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-13-2012 at 12:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kindle 4th gen non touch vs Nook Simple Touch shinew Which one should I buy? 8 10-07-2011 10:10 PM
image of 4th gen kindle w/on-screen keyboard showing alansplace Amazon Kindle 15 09-30-2011 06:26 PM
Troubleshooting Help Un-hacking my 2nd Gen Kindle? Moonrakerone Amazon Kindle 3 05-16-2011 11:03 AM
iPod iPod Touch 4th Gen Battery Life mish Apple Devices 13 11-02-2010 08:15 AM
iPod 4th Gen iPod touch makes an excellent reader jswinden Apple Devices 27 09-24-2010 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.