Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #106
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid
Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
That's what I did. The one I published at B&N looked pretty good as far as I could see with their previewer. Heck I've even sold a copy there which is more than I've done at smashwords! (The books only been up 2 or 3 days give or take so this is all in its infancy)
Lucid_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid_Dreamer View Post
That's what I did. The one I published at B&N looked pretty good as far as I could see with their previewer. Heck I've even sold a copy there which is more than I've done at smashwords! (The books only been up 2 or 3 days give or take so this is all in its infancy)
Well done! I like having options that are going to be worth my time. With a lot of Smashwords eBooks, I have to open it up and really go over it to fix the mess. It's not fun and I prefer not to have to do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #108
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid
Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

oh yeah definitely. Like I said I think Kindle is the best one. Better distribution and stuff. I'm just finding it difficult to market the thing...but then I'm probably just stressing myself out too much. Then again it's tough to make your voice heard out there!
Lucid_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #109
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just recently found how you can publish via B&N direct. So you can make an ePub eBook how you want and then publish it via B&N as is. That's good. Smashwords is just not good.
I'm kinda leery because I think my epub on Smashwords doesn't look as good as it could. But when I checked out B&N to publish directly through them... they want an EFT number and a credit card. Amazon lets you accept check payments.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #110
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
Spoke with an author giving a presentation on his books at Chapters in Canada. He told me that he is not and will not sell his ebooks through Chapters because they offer only half the royalty of his paper books. He sells his ebooks himself.
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #111
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
Spoke with an author giving a presentation on his books at Chapters in Canada. He told me that he is not and will not sell his ebooks through Chapters because they offer only half the royalty of his paper books. He sells his ebooks himself.
Makes me wonder what their royalty rates are. Amazon gives either 35% or 75% depending on which you choose. He must have a good deal through his print publishers, that or Chapters screws people over.

I could have sent my stuff through a publishing company, but there were so many listings and they try to make things as hard as possible--not accepting new authors, you need an agent, it will be 4 months before we even tell you we got your manuscript and you can't send it anywhere else, blah, blah.

The fact that my stuff is so hard to fit into any one genre makes it hard too. I guess I just didn't want to be labeled. And to pick my own label and have someone glance at my synopsis and toss my manuscript away because it doesn't match their niche...
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #112
abr
abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
I'm not sure what that author told you makes any sense. Chapter's sells ebooks through Kobo. Independents can list with them, but they like independents to have ten tittles, or recommend using smashwords or one of several other approved content aggregators. The royalty rate depends on several factors, but they are in the same range as most other outlets for self-publishers and small publishing companies. Like the other fellow said, he must have a great deal with his print publisher.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #113
Mr Whippy
Enthusiast
Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
And we're working on making our books even better right as we speak. I'll finally release our support for dropcaps and footnotes (links to a non-linear flow).
Mr Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #114
Merdrafts
Merdrafts began at the beginning.

I searched but could not find an answer to this question. Do any ebook distributors allow the publishing of things like photo books of a company's products? Or a color swatch guide relating to products?

I am looking for somewhere I can do this and charge $0. The most likely candidate I've found is iBooks, but I'm skeptical they would allow a photo book or other material relating to a specific company's products.

I've had trouble locating info about this on the help/FAQ sections of Kindle,Ibooks, etc.

My goal is to be able to easily distribute a free image gallery to ipad and other tablet users. Ebooks seem to be the only way to do it without requiring recipients to purchase an app (sometimes. for example, ibooks is free on ipads).

Thanks!
Merdrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #115
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdrafts View Post
I searched but could not find an answer to this question. Do any ebook distributors allow the publishing of things like photo books of a company's products? Or a color swatch guide relating to products?

I am looking for somewhere I can do this and charge $0. The most likely candidate I've found is iBooks, but I'm skeptical they would allow a photo book or other material relating to a specific company's products.

I've had trouble locating info about this on the help/FAQ sections of Kindle,Ibooks, etc.

My goal is to be able to easily distribute a free image gallery to ipad and other tablet users. Ebooks seem to be the only way to do it without requiring recipients to purchase an app (sometimes. for example, ibooks is free on ipads).

Thanks!
Maybe get Sigil and tool around with it to see if you can get the functionality you want? Then you can upload the epub to your website and direct people there for downloads.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #116
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Spread around the goodness, use Smashwords (you will rarely make direct sales from the website) for its distribution hubs, place your book on B&N via Pubit and get it up on the Kindle via KDP. Everything else is persistence and settling down for a marathon, not a sprint.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #117
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

This Amazon's Digital Text Platform are there any other benefits to using it over other websites?
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #118
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodRing View Post
This Amazon's Digital Text Platform are there any other benefits to using it over other websites?
That fact that the vast majority of ebooks currently being sold are sold through the Amazon Kindle store?

You also make a little more on each sale going directly rather than through (say) Smashwords.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #119
GA Russell
Esks, 'Peg in first!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
I gather from my reading posts over the past year that Smashwords' meatgrinder is to be avoided when possible.

I see now that Amazon has its own DTP system, Barnes & Noble has PubIt!, and Kobo I'm not sure about. Are they all better than Smashwords? Is it better to submit your work to each of these separately before you go to Smashwords?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #120
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony
GA, our Meatgrinder system works really well for narrative and narrative + images. If you're doing a fixed format book (like some childrens picture books), it won't work for that. The secret to getting a good book out of Meatgrinder is to carefully study and implement our Smashwords Style Guide. It'll show you how to format your book for Smashwords, and how to take advantage of its support for styling and various bells and whistles.
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote