Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Unhappy Vox dead but three lights are on

My Vox has worked faultlessly since Christmas and without warning it has gone into a sleep mode where the three lights HOME,MENU,RETURN stay on at all times. When I plug into computer via USB port the computer shows no indication of any USB activity. Any attempt to wake Vox up via 10 second etc hold on the on button does nothing. I know there is a small button under back cover but have not been that brave to try touching it. The green light is on if I plug in charger, other than that there is nothing, dead. Anyone have a idea of how to restore it to life?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I would try that little button on the back. Although I personally have never done it, I know that it shouldn't do anything like a factory reset or anything. It is just another way to reboot the Vox.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
This is a variant of SOD.

Hold the power button solidly until it turns off. Hold power on for 3s to boot. Then change the wifi sleep policy to never.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Unhappy Nope still no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
I would try that little button on the back. Although I personally have never done it, I know that it shouldn't do anything like a factory reset or anything. It is just another way to reboot the Vox.
The difference between what I am experiencing and the normal sleep is the device is completely dead, even to the usb through computer. The only sign of life is the green light is on when on charge, and the three lights for HOME, MENU and RETURN are always lite??? The long or short holding of the power on/off switch does nothing.

My only recourse seems to be in taking off back and pressing the reboot button. Has anyone done this? What happens? How does the back cover come off?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Anneincanada
Anneincanada began at the beginning.

Could it be the battery is dead?? It will not charge through the USB and Computer....try plugging it in to the mains to charge it, and do as hpulley suggests.
Anneincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneincanada View Post
Could it be the battery is dead?? It will not charge through the USB and Computer....try plugging it in to the mains to charge it, and do as hpulley suggests.
The green charge light is on when plugged in,so it indicates a full charge. I did try as you say but still nothing.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
The difference between what I am experiencing and the normal sleep is the device is completely dead, even to the usb through computer. The only sign of life is the green light is on when on charge, and the three lights for HOME, MENU and RETURN are always lite??? The long or short holding of the power on/off switch does nothing.

My only recourse seems to be in taking off back and pressing the reboot button. Has anyone done this? What happens? How does the back cover come off?
Like hpulley said, this is a variant of both the sleep-of-death and the wake-from-sleep problem. Essentially when your device was asleep, it woke itself up enough to turn on the HOME, MENU, and RETURN lights and then froze. This has happened to me before (but never happens when I switch my Wifi to never sleep). If it gets stuck like this while not plugged in, it will completely drain the battery.

I believe the purpose of the reboot button by the battery is to reset the battery. Like I said previously, it doesn't do a factory reset. You always want to try rebooting in this order: 10ish second hold (like hpulley said) - if that doesn't work then try the back button. If that doesn't work then factory reset is the third recourse.

Check around this forum, people have described how to take off the back panel. It sounds like people almost peel it off though. Also sounds like people have no complaints about getting the back cover back on, so I wouldn't hesitate trying assuming it definitely won't wake up after a 10ish second press of the power button and then a 3ish second press to turn back on.

Remember, this will reset your battery, so you might have to plug it back in after you've hit your button. Perhaps (this would be a guess), while your Vox froze, so too did the battery indicator, so your machine thinks it has power when it really doesn't.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Like hpulley said, this is a variant of both the sleep-of-death and the wake-from-sleep problem. Essentially when your device was asleep, it woke itself up enough to turn on the HOME, MENU, and RETURN lights and then froze. This has happened to me before (but never happens when I switch my Wifi to never sleep). If it gets stuck like this while not plugged in, it will completely drain the battery.

I believe the purpose of the reboot button by the battery is to reset the battery. Like I said previously, it doesn't do a factory reset. You always want to try rebooting in this order: 10ish second hold (like hpulley said) - if that doesn't work then try the back button. If that doesn't work then factory reset is the third recourse.

Check around this forum, people have described how to take off the back panel. It sounds like people almost peel it off though. Also sounds like people have no complaints about getting the back cover back on, so I wouldn't hesitate trying assuming it definitely won't wake up after a 10ish second press of the power button and then a 3ish second press to turn back on.

Remember, this will reset your battery, so you might have to plug it back in after you've hit your button. Perhaps (this would be a guess), while your Vox froze, so too did the battery indicator, so your machine thinks it has power when it really doesn't.
OH my, I will contact Kobo help line and see if anyone is at home there. I hate the idea of taking back off. Many thanks for help to date - Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I'd be very surprised if they told you anything useful which has not already been said in this thread...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I'd be very surprised if they told you anything useful which has not already been said in this thread...
What are my options then? So far all I have been told is how to attempt to arouse it from sleep. But none of these ideas work. It is essentially dead except for the lights that are on below the screen. The charger indicates it has a full charge but I still plugged it in to see if this might help, but no. So it seems Kobo help is my only remaining option.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
What are my options then? So far all I have been told is how to attempt to arouse it from sleep. But none of these ideas work. It is essentially dead except for the lights that are on below the screen. The charger indicates it has a full charge but I still plugged it in to see if this might help, but no. So it seems Kobo help is my only remaining option.
Or you could peel off the back cover and hit the button like people are suggesting. Lots of people have done so. I feel like doing it myself on my Vox just to prove there is no problems with doing so.

Likely Kobo support will just tell you to factory reset, which seems like a lot more work than its worth, but whatever.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Exactly what Laura said...peel off the back cover. If you don't want to try that, the more extreme factory reset is in your future.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Just use the long press until it turn off. It will turn on again after that.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Just use the long press until it turn off. It will turn on again after that.
Senior has mentioned that that didn't work.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
hpulley
Addict

Hold for 20, 30 seconds or as long as it takes until it turns off. Failing that, unplug it and leave it and it will probably drain the battery in a matter of hours. Then plug it in and turn it on. And make the wifi sleep policy NEVER.