Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson717 View Post
In an ideal world, I would prefer the Sony hardware with the Kindle software.
This should be solved once we have Adobe Digital Editions on the Sony Reader, my guess is things will improve on the software front by then. Until then you could create your own PDF's at Feedbooks, I really love that option. Custom designed PDF's are much more pleasant to read.
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm a Sony fan ( 505). I had considered the Kindle before opting for the Sony but chose the Sony because the Kindle was too much like my laptop -- and when I read, I want to be as far from the idea of work as possible .

Most of the raves I read for the Kindle focus on the wireless capability. My take on that is this: First, it is a Sprint network, so if you have trouble with Sprint cell phone coverage in your area (or wherever you happen to be), then the wireless isn't any advantage.

Second, the readers -- both the Kindle and the Sony -- hold more books than I could read in a month of doing nothing but reading, so I don't see what the downside is to having to plug my Sony into my computer to download content or the upside to being able to wirelessly buy books. I spend my workday sitting at my computer so spending a few minutes to add to my Sony doesn't seem to me to be a big deal -- especially as this is not a daily task. I keep 60-80 books on the Sony, so even if I start one that is poorly written, I can move on to another. And those 60-80 books still leave me 140MB of memory on my sony for even more books.

Third, using the Sony is an experience closer to reading a paperback than is using the Kindle. And it is the reading experience that I want, not the computer experience. Truthfully, rather than buy a Kindle I would buy a small laptop. It can do the same as the Kindle plus more for just a little bit more money. Settling for a Kindle seems like settling for a half loaf if the big draws are wireless and a keyboard. Why not get the full loaf?
Personally, I don't see my Kindle as anything like a laptop. I would prefer a slide-out or on-screen keyboard but when I'm reading a book, I don't even notice the keyboard being there. The draw for me wasn't computer-like functions, it was improved reading experience. Kindle has search, dictionary lookup, and more titles I want to read at lower prices. The wireless does bring Wikipedia search (love!) and makes getting content even easier. As for the wireless service quality: I have Sprint for my cellphone service. I often can't make a call in my house but I've never had a problem getting a book on the Kindle in less than a minute. The wireless isn't a big deal for surfing the web. I don't want to surf the web on the Kindle. E-ink frankly sucks for that. The wireless adds to the reading experience.

Because getting content is even easier, it makes more sense to get free samples of all the books I want and only download the ones I end up liking. When I hear about a book I might like, I just grab the sample. I can decide if I want it later. It's like a to-read list. Yes, I could load a month's worth of books on it but knowing me, I probably wouldn't end up reading 10-20% of them. Over time, that adds up to quite a sum. Before I had the Kindle, I would go to a book store and try to buy books for the next month or so. Some of them I wouldn't like. Others, the fancy for them would pass and they'd end up completely unread. Neither of these things has happened since I bought the Kindle. Sony does have excerpts but the ones I've seen have been tiny compared to Amazon's. They seem to give you a couple pages. Amazon usually gives you at least a chapter.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 5, iPad 2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony, like all eBook readers except the iLiad, can only act as a USB client, not as a USB "host". What you are suggesting couldn't, therefore, be done.
Are you sure? The USB port in the N810 can be put in both host mode and client mode even if that is not something that is available as standard.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I thought the N810 was considered an "Internet Appliance". It's rather more than a reader. I can read on my laptop or a UMPC, too, but I wouldn't classify them as readers primarily.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote