Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #106
pdurrant
The Ghost Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
I'll want to see one in person before declaring greyscale eInk dead. And also a model without the front light.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #107
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
The color e-ink displays currently in production can't do full motion video.
excuse the off topic but i had to correct this. The current Trition color film displays are capable of video

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #108
pata
Connoisseur
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
dic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
excuse the off topic but i had to correct this. The current Trition color film displays are capable of video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdXAyvWZdI
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that just a prototype? Can any of the color e-ink displays in production, i.e. on the Jetbook Color and so on, display full motion video?

By the way, that Korean writeup seems to indicate that the Kyobo eReader doesn't do video either, or at least doesn't do it very well. The translation I'm reading is barely comprehensible though.

Last edited by pata; 12-06-2011 at 07:56 PM.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #109
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Kyobo Mirasol Reader
Quote:
We can't even say for sure if the frontlight isn't also needed outside. We have yet to see one video/review of this device in actual real world conditions.
Shining a light on the front of a screen so that you can read it outside in daylight doesn't make any sense. I have used a Mirasol-enabled bluetooth headset daily for the past 3 years and I can definitely tell you that the more ambient light you have the better the display is. It is positively iridescent.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #110
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
dic
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that just a prototype? Can any of the color e-ink displays in production, i.e. on the Jetbook Color and so on, display full motion video?
the display CAN whether the device is capable depends on what type of buffering they are doing and the processor etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #111
paperwastage
Zealot
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite, jetbook Color
add Kyobo eReader to cart

try to feel your way around the cart ordering process via this

ship one to US?

I'm down for this(don't mind being the early adopter who pays $300+), but I can't make sense of this page (google/yahoo translator doesn't help much)

EDIT: It looks like its just gifts... going to pass on that. roughly 365500 won(~$350 USD) shipped to USA i think... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by paperwastage; 12-08-2011 at 12:32 AM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #112
pata
Connoisseur
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found some 'real world' footage (the last few seconds) of the Kyobo ereader displaying video:
http://clien.career.co.kr/cs2/bbs/bo...&wr_id=9307160

Has anyone discovered instructions in English for
  1. ordering from overseas
  2. a Quick Start Guide to setting up the eReader
  3. Side loading apps and/or rooting the eReader
?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #113
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I'd like to see a video of the device with the front light turned off. The front light makes it look like a very bad LCD screen.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #114
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
how come they always have a shiny reflective screen and not a matte one?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #115
pdurrant
The Ghost Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
The Kyobo mirasol device appears to have a sheet of glass at the front, covering the mirasol screen and with a gap between the glass and the screen for the front light.

I hope that eventually there'll be a mirasol device without the glass and the front light.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #116
mersfire
mersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle
I just bought one and I have to say I'm greatly disappointed by this device and I've been looking forward to this technology for a long time.

I own an original Kindle, Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX (Pearl version), Kindle 3, Bookeen Orizon, and Nook Simple Touch. You can call me a kinda collector of eReaders. I also have an iPad2, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, and HP Touchpad (I should really start a review site).

My impression of the Kyobo reader

Pros
* It's Mirasol! (It's cool to have the first MEMS based display + color ePaper)
* Excellent outdoor visibility
* Build quality is excellent - the device feels very solid in the hand
* The design is quite nice and it fits nicely in the hand
* Video capable and has tablet like UI and features
* Color

Cons
* Front light that seems to constantly be on when indoors.
* When the front light is off, the display is extremely dim
(It looks like a 1st gen Palm Pilot display with color but no backlight)
* Color is very muted
* Severe color shift when viewed off angle (like 1st gen LCD)
* Display is not quite fast enough (compared to LCD) to show smooth transitions (aka, there's a lot of stuttering)

I definitely applaud Qualcomm for launching the technology. However, I'm not sure where the technology fits. E Ink looks more like ink on paper, so when compared side by side, E Ink wins hands down for reading. For tablet functions like Youtube or web browsing, the iPad or even my Galaxy phone is superior.

The one advantage Mirasol seems to have over LCD is the outdoor readability. I have a Pixel Qi mod'd device and I would say that it looks similar to reflective LCD, but the Pixel Qi display is much quicker (smoother).

I hope that Qualcomm can improve the color and response time of this device because I think most people will compare this device to a tablet device.
mersfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #117
pata
Connoisseur

Thanks for the impressions. Could you post some pictures and/or videos comparing the Kyobo ereader to the devices in your collection?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #118
mersfire
mersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions. Could you post some pictures and/or videos comparing the Kyobo ereader to the devices in your collection?
Sure, no problem!

Ambient lighting comparison (frontlight off)

Ambient lighting comparison (frontlight on max)

Dark lighting comparison (frontlight on max)

Daylight lighting (5000K light)

Three way comparison (frontlight off)

Three way comparison (frontlight on max)

By the way, I figured out that you can turn off the frontlight under the Android settings -> Display -> Display Brightness -> Set the slider to MIN (all the way to the left)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #119
mersfire

I tried to do a fair comparison (I'm a huge fan of this technology), but one thing that surprised me was a very big viewing angle dependency. Luckily the best viewing angle is on axis, but slight shifts in angle really can affect the display.

After watching some Youtube videos, I have to say that video mode is decent, but I still find myself comparing this to a Nook tablet which does video infinitely better.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #120
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
When do we get the big, fluffy Samoyed display?

Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote