Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Why do our kobo's re-download all our books when sync'ing?

This is happening to two kobo touches in our household - both on different accounts with different books.

For about 2 weeks, whenever I sync my KT, it downloads all my books again. I then go through them, mark them as finished - but next time I sync, it does it again, showing some as part read, some as not even started.

I was hoping the firmware update would fix it - but no, it is still happening.

I have updated the desktop and "finished" all my books on there as well -hoping that somehow the cloud would detect this. I then tried another sync on my kobo - but no luck, it downloaded all the books again.

How can I stop this happening? It is very annoying. A call logged with kobo about 10 days ago has had no response (except the std escalated to tier 2 email).

Thanks
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you ever logout of Kobo Desktop? I think that can trigger a full redownload.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also any chance the time might be out on either the Touches OR the PCs?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you ever logout of Kobo Desktop? I think that can trigger a full redownload.
Nope, never log out of the desktop.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also any chance the time might be out on either the Touches OR the PCs?
Not that either - but thanks for the ideas!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
This is exactly why I NEVER sync my Touch unless there is an update that I consider will be worth the effort.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Harley, I used to sync frequently - when I buy a new book, it used to download just that single book. And I liked to sync to check that my reading life was up to date Now until this is fixed I won't bother.

Has this always been happening to you? It isn't supposed to work like that. I have found someone else on getsatisfaction with the same problem so I've now logged a ticket.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There was a new database scheme as part of the .14 release. Kepub books should have to be processed all over again one time, because of this. Having this happen repeatedly is a totally separate issue and following up with Kobo is the right thing to do.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I had a similar issue with an older version of the desktop software which kept downloading all of the books on every sync and the advice I got from Kobo at the time was to re-install the desktop software (same version over top of the existing install) and that fixed the problem for me.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Trying a reinstall of the desktop can't hurt. You might use the standard uninstall routine in Windows (if on Windows) first and then install fresh from www.kobosetup.com. Depending on your Internet connection and computer, it shouldn't take too long. At least then you can scratch that off as part of the problem.

I never log out of Kobo Desktop but, then, I also rarely use it so it isn't running on my computer except for one off uses.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Trying a reinstall of the desktop can't hurt. You might use the standard uninstall routine in Windows (if on Windows) first and then install fresh from www.kobosetup.com. Depending on your Internet connection and computer, it shouldn't take too long. At least then you can scratch that off as part of the problem.

I never log out of Kobo Desktop but, then, I also rarely use it so it isn't running on my computer except for one off uses.
Just did this - unfortunately it didn't work. I'll wait for kobo help desk.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Can you turn OFF the sync thingy? I know on my Kendle I had the same headaches you decribe....I just went tinto my manage kindle account on amazon & turned the sync thingy off!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
lourob
lourob began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
How to control what books are synced to your eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Nope, never log out of the desktop.
I manage my KOBO library online. Under My Library there are 3 tabs: I'm Reading / Purchased / Trash.

http://www.kobobooks.com/top50.html

If you do not want books to sync with your reader then you must DELETE them from the "I'm Reading" section. They will end up in the "Trash" section but this can easily be reversed because you have the option to UNDELETE or DELETE FOREVER under the Trash section.

Books under Purchased and Trash do sync with the kobo readers.
lourob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know why Kobo doen't use some sort of file hashes and store these in a (encrypted) file on both the device and online server (user account). So they only have to compare the hash file entries and sync the differences.
Much less unnessecery tranfering from unchanged data, less bandwidth needed. Seems to me that Kobo could save a lot of money.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I don't know why Kobo doen't use some sort of file hashes and store these in a (encrypted) file on both the device and online server (user account). So they only have to compare the hash file entries and sync the differences.
I thought this is taken care of by some entries in the database.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, download, kobo touch, sync, sync with kobo