Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
goalie_girl
goalie_girl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Error message when download library book using overdrive

I just got the Kobo Vox yesterday and was EXTREMELY disappointed to find out that it is not compatable with ADE. I just assumed it was but I guess that was my mistake! I tried getting around this by downloading Overdrive from the Android Market and as it seemed to work for others. I got the Overdrive manual set up and it played. However, when I try to download an eBook from my public library I get this error message 'Expired ACSM file. Please refresh the web page you downloaded this title from and try again (error code 1069)'. The library book isn't expired through the library. Any suggestions?
goalie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It's ADE compatible, as long as you authorize the device. It sounds like you're trying to download through a non-authorized device there. Can you download from your computer?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
some1else
Enthusiast
some1else began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPhone 4, Kindle 3G
if you look at my thread "many issues and no support" somebody replied there and said Vox is not recognized by Adobe or Calibre?!?!

Overdrive books in our library website appear to only be audio books.
some1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
goalie_girl

I called the Kobo customer help line and they said they are working on making the Vox compatable with ADE but for the time being it isn't. HOWEVER I eventually found a solution yesterday. I downloaded Aldiko onto the Vox from their web site (couldn't find it on my 'Get Apps'). Once I hooked it up to the computer through the USB outlet and opened ADE it recognized my Vox as 'Aldiko' and I was able to drag and drop my library (DRM) ebooks in there. Unfortunately this means you have to read your books through Aldiko instead of your library which is alittle silly. Hopefully they fix this as downloading library books is one of the things I liked most about having an eReader to begin with!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
It's ADE compatible, as long as you authorize the device.
According to this, which comes from Kobo support, the Vox is not desigend to be ADE compatible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I spoke to Darrell today, who is a Customer Engagement Analyst at Kobo. He said that the Vox was not designed to be recognized by ADE - and they don't have any plans to make it be (although, I asked if he could ask the development team, as he sits in round-table discussions with them).

The overdrive app is available for download on the Vox. I was able to do it myself and I can read my library books from there. I would rather sideload my books to the Kobo app. from ADE so I can use Pulse and Reading Life for my library books, but alas - it is not to be. I complained about this to Darrell, so hopefully one day we'll be able to use ADE with the Vox...

A person can install Aldiko or Mantano to get ADE support.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
some1else
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie_girl View Post
I called the Kobo customer help line and they said they are working on making the Vox compatable with ADE but for the time being it isn't. HOWEVER I eventually found a solution yesterday. I downloaded Aldiko onto the Vox from their web site (couldn't find it on my 'Get Apps'). Once I hooked it up to the computer through the USB outlet and opened ADE it recognized my Vox as 'Aldiko' and I was able to drag and drop my library (DRM) ebooks in there. Unfortunately this means you have to read your books through Aldiko instead of your library which is alittle silly. Hopefully they fix this as downloading library books is one of the things I liked most about having an eReader to begin with!
@ goalie_girl : I did a factory reset and had my Vox packaged and ready ro return for a refund when I read your post. So out it came, I downloaded Aldiko and yes ADE recognizes that and I dragged and dropped the books there. But when I go to Aldiko app the books are not in the library. When I go to manage downloads it says Aldiko failed. grrr ... am I missing some step???
Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I was told by Darrell at Kobo that there were no plans to make the Vox compatible with ADE. That was on Monday, so maybe their 'plan' has changed since then...

I am able to download my books that I've borrowed and read them with the Overdrive App. I'd sure love to be able to read them in my Kobo library, like I can with my Kobo WiFi...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
some1else
Enthusiast

Quote:
I was told by Darrell at Kobo that there were no plans to make the Vox compatible with ADE. That was on Monday, so maybe their 'plan' has changed since then...

I am able to download my books that I've borrowed and read them with the Overdrive App. I'd sure love to be able to read them in my Kobo library, like I can with my Kobo WiFi...
my local library gives two options ADE for Epubs and Overdrive appears to only be available for audio files .wma?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Hmmm...that's strange. What if you try to just download an epub from your online library to the Vox and then try to open it using overdrive?

.WMA is an audio file type that the BC Online Library uses. I could convert it to .mp3 if it wasn't DRMed...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
Quote:
Hmmm...that's strange. What if you try to just download an epub from your online library to the Vox and then try to open it using overdrive?
That worked for me.In Overdrive settings there's a place to authorize the vox for ADE.
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm not following the problem here. I installed the Overdrive app and borrowed a DRM epub from my local library and it downloaded over the wifi just fine. That seems pretty compatible to me AND much easier than with Kobo Touch where you need to use a USB cable and a couple of extra steps to get a book.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
some1else
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm not following the problem here. I installed the Overdrive app and borrowed a DRM epub from my local library and it downloaded over the wifi just fine. That seems pretty compatible to me AND much easier than with Kobo Touch where you need to use a USB cable and a couple of extra steps to get a book.
@poet : it's our library difference, my library has:

What kinds of materials can I check out from this site?
•Adobe EPUB eBooks
•Adobe PDF eBooks
•OverDrive WMA Audiobooks
•OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks

Toronto library has:

OverDrive eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMusic and eVideo
Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
goalie_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1else View Post
@ goalie_girl : I did a factory reset and had my Vox packaged and ready ro return for a refund when I read your post. So out it came, I downloaded Aldiko and yes ADE recognizes that and I dragged and dropped the books there. But when I go to Aldiko app the books are not in the library. When I go to manage downloads it says Aldiko failed. grrr ... am I missing some step???
@some1else: I pressed the Home button in Aldiko and went to SD Card. Your books should be in the Digital Editions file. Check the books you want to import and import them into Aldiko. That should work. My library runs on Overdrive but I couldn't get it to work on my Vox (hence the purpose of this thread to begin with) but I try to download all my eBooks as ePubs as I find them easier to read. Hope that helps!

Last edited by goalie_girl; 11-05-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
went right to overdrive, and installed their app. IT WORKS. I have to read the books right on overdrive, but at least they are separated from my own books anyhow. And I can justify keeping this instead of taking it back and getting a "just ereader"

I couldn't get Aldiko to work with library books anyhow, don't know why, but I was able to get some of my other books from my computer onto it. So I don't know what I did wrong.

Still having lots of trouble putting books onto my ereader via MicroSD. The instructions they gave me work up until the download is done. Then it says there was trouble.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #15
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I just went to the Ottawa library and downloaded one epub and one audio book. once downloaded to the SD card, and I hit open, Overdrive opened for both of them downloaded the content into it, ready to read.

This was incredibly easy, and as Peterhondak mentioned, go directly to overdrive to get the software there (http://http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx).

After you get the software, make sure to register your ADE account in the configurations. This, was my one issue, mainly because of the archaic way Adobe handles the number of devices associated with it. I had to contact support the other night to have them reset the count, again. Even deactivating the ADE on my desktop didn't release it. I really wish they had tools in your account settings on the adobe site so you can de-authorize devices there.

the only way I could get the library epub to open in aldiko is if I download it into ADE first, then transfer the file to aldiko while the vox is connected to the PC. I couldn't just open aldiko, browse over to the overdrive folder and open it as it would give an error, which is odd considering both apps are activated with the same account. *shrug* ah well, works great in Overdrive and that's all that matters.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, kobo vox, library books, overdrive