Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #46
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Have connection

Hi havhill thank you very much for advice. I did change baud to 115200 and 8N1. It is connected, but In my case (Kindle dxg) connection was different than in ebs version.
1. 5V from converter (where 1 on the board)
2. Rx port.
3. Tx port.
4. Ground.

Kindle has 3 choices while boot.
1. If pressed home Reset mode where you can copy the files to memory where nothing I can see.
2. If press enter you will have Developers choices:

3. Load MMC0 over USB storage
4. Erase MMC0
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit

And uboot.
In my case the framework is not starting.
I am beginner in linux and I think did very bad mistake.
When I changed browser configs I used mntroot r command I don't know why. than turned debug off and restarted. after that kindle never started normally.

Can I make mntroot rw command in uboot???
How can I fix please help or at least advise. Can I reinstall firmware?
Thank you very much.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Kindle dxg starting.txt (17.8 KB, 674 views)

Last edited by stranger_st; 10-13-2011 at 05:06 PM.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #47
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Good that you have it working to this point, though.
I think the root file system is corrupted (due to not properly unmounting or re-mounting it read-only).
The way to go is
- you've got to get yourself a partition image of /dev/mmcblk0p1 (first partition on the flash disk), maybe a kind soul can provide it to you,
- you've got to dump it to the first partition of your device's flash disk.

When doing the latter (via option 3), you will find that there's a passwort that needs to be entered. I'm not sure, but I think you need to recover it from the Serial No of your Kindle. Maybe others can comment on this.

The whole procedure is showed in a video that seaniko7 made: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134637
The mkfs is not needed, since you're dumping a full partition image anyway. The hardest part will probably be to find out the password for your device.

In the recovery menu, do NOT chose 4 (Erase MMC0) and probably not the format option either.

I'm not sure about books and stuff. I think you will probably need a (live CD/usb stick?) Linux, although you probably can dump partition images on windows, too. Someone with expertise in that regard might jump in here...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #48
stranger_st

is it possible to take access of the console in a boot process of kindle? what if I give rw previliges (mntroot rw) again? will it help?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #49
stranger_st

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Good that you have it working to this point, though.
I think the root file system is corrupted (due to not properly unmounting or re-mounting it read-only).
The way to go is
- you've got to get yourself a partition image of /dev/mmcblk0p1 (first partition on the flash disk), maybe a kind soul can provide it to you,
- you've got to dump it to the first partition of your device's flash disk.

When doing the latter (via option 3), you will find that there's a passwort that needs to be entered. I'm not sure, but I think you need to recover it from the Serial No of your Kindle. Maybe others can comment on this.

The whole procedure is showed in a video that seaniko7 made: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134637
The mkfs is not needed, since you're dumping a full partition image anyway. The hardest part will probably be to find out the password for your device.

In the recovery menu, do NOT chose 4 (Erase MMC0) and probably not the format option either.

I'm not sure about books and stuff. I think you will probably need a (live CD/usb stick?) Linux, although you probably can dump partition images on windows, too. Someone with expertise in that regard might jump in here...
Hi hawhill I have found the password of root user. Could you please share partition with me to restore. here is direct link for others who need password to their kindle, Its name Kindle diagnostic tool:
http://www.siralex.info/wp-content/p...nload.php?id=9
Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #50
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
... The hardest part will probably be to find out the password for your device.
The following script works on my kindle 3w and 3g for root password, (and on my DX and DXG):
---
#!/bin/bash
serno=$1
echo kindle root passwd:
echo fiona$(echo $serno | md5sum | cut -b 8-10)
---
It adds 3 hex digits to fiona password. The Sir Alex's KDT adds 4 hex digits, which do not work as a root password for my kindles. You can convert the 4 hex digits to 3 hex digits by removing the last digit from what KDT reports.

Although the 3 hex digit fiona password works on my kindles for both SSH and for the "login" command (and matches what "John the Ripper" finds when I crack my passwd/shadow files), I do not know whether I will need the 3 or 4 hex digit fiona password for serial port diagnostic root access).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-01-2011 at 01:49 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #51
toly084
toly084 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Hi all. I do not know id this thread is alive but will ask something. I have Kindle Fire HD with Demonstration firmware. And this is a part of problem, the tablet do not recognized by the windows or macos. And problem not in the drivers. Unknown device is in device list and in ID device also UNKNOWN. So it is impossible to install drivers. Also I tried factory cable that to put the tablet in fastboot but not result. I saw the RX and TX point on the board and decided to connect the tablet through USB-COM adapter which I have. But what to do next when I will connect the tablet to computer with linux, or macos which I use. Can someone help me?
toly084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toly084 View Post
Hi all. I do not know id this thread is alive but will ask something. I have Kindle Fire HD with Demonstration firmware. And this is a part of problem, the tablet do not recognized by the windows or macos. And problem not in the drivers. Unknown device is in device list and in ID device also UNKNOWN. So it is impossible to install drivers. Also I tried factory cable that to put the tablet in fastboot but not result. I saw the RX and TX point on the board and decided to connect the tablet through USB-COM adapter which I have. But what to do next when I will connect the tablet to computer with linux, or macos which I use. Can someone help me?
Wrong forum.
This is the grayscale Kindles only.
For color Kindles, you have to go to the Kindle Fire forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #53
outlook2016
outlook2016 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
For those who will need a serial console - it's relatively simple. Remove plastic cover and you'll see big pads (J9) right next to J23 connector - these are serial lines.
As usual, CMOS/TTL level converter is required (I used small board with MAX232 and external power supply I had from other project). I didn't solder anything - taped wires to the PCB with a scotch tape.

Hello, ebs,
I am a Chinese and live in China.
I have a kindle DXG, but it's bad.

I search by Google, and visit this post
if you have " rootfs.img " please give me a copy thank you !

my email : notcry@qq.com
outlook2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #54
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
In case anyone wants to do this without buying a level converter, I successfully implemented the below circuit ("PC to PIC Converter") on an old electronics project kit from my childhood. I was able to send the appropriate key to mount the full storage for recovery. I didn't bother with implementing the Rx side.

For the easily amused, here is the implemented circuit in action:

Last edited by isotherm; 09-11-2020 at 11:05 AM.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote