Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
What would you like to see in Apple's New iCloud solution?

With the upcoming ios5, Apple is going to implement its own cloud solution. You can read about its features HERE.

What other features would you like to see added? What be your biggest "one thing more"?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
As long as it's as simple to "use and forget" as Dropbox is, I'm happy.
For some reason, never got iDisk to work properly across my Macs/PCs/iOS devices-it just didn't feel right, even though the pieces were supposedly the same.

Dropbox is so transparent in how I use it, it is like second nature. I think Cloud stuff has to be like that to succeed. Plus the security of knowing I have copies on my machine clinches it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How about actual storage! iCloud is nothing more than a syncing service between iDevices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How about actual storage! iCloud is nothing more than a syncing service between iDevices.
You get 5gs free, more if you pay.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
You get 5gs free, more if you pay.
Where? I didn't see that in the link you provided.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Where? I didn't see that in the link you provided.

Go there and tap the what is icloud link. It's halfway down on the what is iCloud page.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Go there and tap the what is icloud link. It's halfway down on the what is iCloud page.
Thanks, now I see it. Wonder why they didn't put that on the features page?

Anyway, I stand corrected - it does have storage.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The ability to pull media, or at least photos, from your computer.

The option to load and save directly to the cloud. (so there are no duplicates)

The ability to share files in cloud storage between apps. (something DropBox can do)

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't use cloud storage much at the moment. I'll be happy with just a way to keep my calendar and contacts synchronized via wifi, instead of having to plug the iDevices and launch iTunes every time I want to synchronize. It would be even better if I could synchronize the contacts on my Android phone too, but I guess that's a bit much to ask
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I don't use cloud storage much at the moment. I'll be happy with just a way to keep my calendar and contacts synchronized via wifi, instead of having to plug the iDevices and launch iTunes every time I want to synchronize. It would be even better if I could synchronize the contacts on my Android phone too, but I guess that's a bit much to ask
Can't you do this already by using gmail or another similar service to synch your contacts?

I use google calendars to synch wirelessly across ios devices, mac and PC.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Can't you do this already by using gmail or another similar service to synch your contacts?

I use google calendars to synch wirelessly across ios devices, mac and PC.
I have tried syncing with Google services and it doesn't work for me. I think it's both because of the Apple sync procedure, which keeps duplicating contacts, and because of Google, who just loves to create contacts without my knowledge. I don't want to have a contact in my address book for every e-mail address I send an e-mail to, or for all my Google + contacts. It's just not worth it to try to sort it all out, so I gave up. Google calendars was also a failure somehow. I'm just not interested enough to investigate and understand why it doesn't work and what I should do to make it better.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
... and because of Google, who just loves to create contacts without my knowledge. I don't want to have a contact in my address book for every e-mail address I send an e-mail to ...
That one's easy to stop, if anyone else is having the same issue:

In your Gmail settings, on the General tab, set "Create contacts for auto-complete:" to "I'll add contacts myself".

Quote:
... or for all my Google + contacts ...
That's odd. That doesn't seem to happen for me. Google+ contacts are accessible in Gmail via 'Other Contacts', but they're not added to my actual Contacts list ('My Contacts' in Gmail).

EDIT: I've just found that the auto complete setting noted above puts them in Other Contacts as well. So perhaps the issue is that the sync procedures are combining Other and My Contacts?

Ever wish you'd not started an email and left well enough alone?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-21-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
I have tried syncing with Google services and it doesn't work for me. I think it's both because of the Apple sync procedure, which keeps duplicating contacts, and because of Google, who just loves to create contacts without my knowledge. I don't want to have a contact in my address book for every e-mail address I send an e-mail to, or for all my Google + contacts. It's just not worth it to try to sort it all out, so I gave up. Google calendars was also a failure somehow. I'm just not interested enough to investigate and understand why it doesn't work and what I should do to make it better.
The way that worked for me was to set up gmail as an Exchange account for calendars only - as described here. It was a bit fiddly, but now I have all my different gadgets in synch without wires. iCloud can't do this because it's apple specific. I still use wired synch for contacts, because I had problems with duplicates etc. as you describe.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
That one's easy to stop, if anyone else is having the same issue:

In your Gmail settings, on the General tab, set "Create contacts for auto-complete:" to "I'll add contacts myself".

That's odd. That doesn't seem to happen for me. Google+ contacts are accessible in Gmail via 'Other Contacts', but they're not added to my actual Contacts list ('My Contacts' in Gmail).

EDIT: I've just found that the auto complete setting noted above puts them in Other Contacts as well. So perhaps the issue is that the sync procedures are combining Other and My Contacts?

Ever wish you'd not started an email and left well enough alone?

Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
The way that worked for me was to set up gmail as an Exchange account for calendars only - as described here. It was a bit fiddly, but now I have all my different gadgets in synch without wires. iCloud can't do this because it's apple specific. I still use wired synch for contacts, because I had problems with duplicates etc. as you describe.
Thank you both for your suggestions! To be honest, the truth is, I'm too lazy or not motivated enough to investigate all this. Syncing between different programs never works perfectly, and my experience is that after I spend a couple of hours setting it up and testing it, it will work for a few weeks or months and then suddenly stop working again and I'll have to start over again. I think I'll just keep to simple syncing between Apple devices only (although even that doesn't always work perfectly).
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I would like a free password vault in the cloud. Passwords, loggins, credit cards, frequent flyer numbers, the work.

No problems for me with contacts and calendars. contacts are based on the apple application and I got them from my google account just once. Calendars are owned by google and I use them freely on all the several calendar applications that I have.
I have calendars for everything, the most recent one is for expiring dates of packaged food that I keep in the fridge. I share calendars with a number of people, both personal and work, and it goes without a glitch, although I have more than one gmail account, all with calendars of their own.

I have no experience with Outlook, if it meshes nicely with Google and Apple applications.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote