Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #10831
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
^That does sound interesting. I've put it on my WTR list for a future look.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #10832
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That sounds interesting. I just downloaded a sample from Amazon for future reading. The description reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies, Memento (directed by Christopher Nolan).
It might sound like an odd comparison to those who have read the book but it reminds me of shutter island. It was good, I read it from start to finish in one sitting...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #10833
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite

Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #10834
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2, iPad Mini
Cool re-read

i began re-reading the dresden files, starting with 'storm front', book 1, on friday evening, enjoyed it immensely. then i started reading 'fool moon', book 2, last night. i plan to read each of the stories in 'side jobs' along with the novels. they are all labeled as to when, in the series context, they occur so you can easily read them chronologically interleaved with the novels.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #10835
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
The book I am going to be finishing up today that I've been reading over the weekend is The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen. It's book #7 in the Rizzoli & Isles series. very good.

Quote:
For untold years, the perfectly preserved mummy had lain forgotten in the dusty basement of Boston’s Crispin Museum. Now its sudden rediscovery by museum staff isboth a major coup and an attention-grabbing mystery. Dubbed “Madam X,” the mummy—to all appearances, an ancient Egyptian artifact—seems a ghoulish godsend for the financially struggling institution. But medical examiner Maura Isles soon discovers a macabre message hidden within the corpse—horrifying proof that this “centuries-old” relic is instead a modern-day murder victim.

To Maura and Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli, the forensic evidence is unmistakable, its implications terrifying. And when the grisly remains of yet another woman are found in the hidden recesses of the museum, it becomes chillingly clear that a maniac is at large—and is now taunting them.

Archaeologist Josephine Pulcillo’s blood runs cold when the killer’s cryptic missives are discovered, and her darkest dread becomes real when the carefully preserved corpse of yet a third victim is left in her car like a gruesome offering—or perhaps a ghastly promise of what’s to come.

The twisted killer’s familiarity with post-mortem rituals suggests to Maura and Jane that he may have scientific expertise in common with Josephine. Only Josephine knows that her stalker shares a knowledge even more personally terrifying: details of a dark secret she had thought forever buried.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #10836
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
That's on my TBR list. Tell us what you think.
I just finished reading it (The hundred thousand kingdoms) and this story was like no other Fantasy I've read before. The way she writes was both confusing and interesting. It felt fresh and different and I didn't have to get far into the book before I was hooked.

And for this to be her (N. K. Jemisin) debut book
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #10837
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
I want to read Letters from the Flesh by Marcos Donnelly, but it's not available as an ebook.

Hardbacks & paperbacks tend to get ignored these days.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #10838
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
^So says you. I just got three paper books in the mail last week. Better prices than the e-books and the one just wouldn't work good in e-format yet.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #10839
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
I was speaking of my own reading habits these days. Sorry for not making that clear. Even my magazines to to sit unread unless they're on my Kindle.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #10840
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Based on a co-worker's advice, I borrowed Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom from the local library. And read it in a day! I can see why that book was on the NY Times bestseller list for two years.
MickeyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #10841
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Well, over the past week or so I finished a bunch of paid e-book purchases, which would put a decent-sized dent in my "I bought it, I really ought to read it sometime" ratio if I hadn't also gone and bought Baen's 2nd Frederik-with-no-C Pohl bundle and a Leigh Brackett set in case the discounts were going to disappear.

William F. Wu's excellent A Temple of Forgotten Spirits, which as I mentioned previously is a kind of mash-up of Jack Kerouac and the intersection of Asian-American and Middle American life experience. Plus ghosts and demons and hitchhikers, oh my!

It's actually a collection of linked short stories previously published by the now defunct fantasy/horror magazine Pulphouse which used to be edited by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (who then went on to edit the Magazine of SF & Fantasy, I believe and is now one of those self-published e-backlist authors). Wu (who apparently also wrote a short story which was the basis for a popular Twilight Zone remake episode) adds a nifty outroduction to each story giving historical/cultural background notes for the elements inside, which is something I always like to see.

Highly recommended if you like low-key urban fantasy roadtrips where old ghosts are uncovered and laid to rest. I don't regret buying this on impulse during a Fictionwise discount sale, and will be picking up Wu's other FW MultiFormat book, Hong on the Range, even though I'm pretty sure I actually have a used hardcover copy of that which I bought years ago during a bookstore sale and never actually got around to reading.

Also nearly finished my entire purchase of Georgette Heyer's mysteries which I bought the lot of during Sourcebooks' Heyer Anniversary Sale when they were all $1.99 or less.

Overall, I liked the Inspector Hannasyde mysteries a bit more than the Inspector Hemingway ones, but that's kind of because while Hemingway is a bit more affable (and shows up as Hannasyde's assistant before he gets promoted), his schtick is this interest in Psychology, which has advanced somewhat in the 70 or so years during which Jungian stuff is now looked upon with a certain skepticism and Freudian psychoanalysis generally treated as being debunkable.

Nevertheless, some of them are fairly good reads, although sometimes a bit predictable. In about 2/3rds of the books I was able to guess whodunnit, even if exactly why was up for grabs, due to Heyer's habit of
Spoiler:
trying to go for the supposedly least-likely-looking possibly-non-suspect which then automatically made it obvious that it had to be a "surprise".
And then there's a decidedly annoying habit of out-of-the-blue match-making by almost always pairing off
Spoiler:
the devil-may-care mockingly rude and ~edgy~ person with bad manners and almost no respect for anyone else, much less social conventions, with the much more sensible and practical and nicely-behaved socially conventional person who turns out to be the One Person they kind of vaguely respect due to well-hidden up until the moment of surprise proposal True Love who's nevertheless irritated by their regular habits anyway
, and whom you'd think would know better than to want to spend the rest of their life with that person if they were already that irritated by them because they're very unlikely to change. I almost sense further murders down the line.

Of the 8 assorted Hannasyde/Hemingway novels, the best of the lot are probably Behold, Here's Poison, They Found Him Dead, No Wind of Blame, and Envious Casca, as far as figuring out clever means go. For trying to catch a killer who seems to be a step or two ahead, A Blunt Instrument and Detection Unlimited are decent, even if the first has a rather obvious whodunnit. Death in the Stocks has a rather clever whodunnit, but is marred by the entire cast of suspects who occupy the majority of the screentime being so profoundly unlikeable that you rather wish that all of them dunnit and were properly put away, or that the body count would simply keep piling up and do away with them that way.

You can read practically all of them in any order since they generally don't reference previous cases, except for three: Duplicate Death directly follows up on characters who were suspects in They Found Him Dead, and Behold Here's Poison has a supporting character who was also supporting in Death in the Stocks and does gossip catch-up on what happened to the other characters who were suspects in that book.

For my money, I recommend Envious Casca and They Found Him Dead as being the most enjoyable, but then I've always had this weird fondness for those squabbling family gatherings whose inevitable murder leads everyone who's a suspect trying to accuse everyone else who's a suspect while maintaining their own innocence right in front of the outraged accused party who valiantly maintains their own innocence while accusing the accuser in front of everyone else who's a suspect.

Plus they have mostly likeable casts, which some of the stories don't.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #10842
gapstar
gapstar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Hi all,
I am relatively new to this forum but love to read I think as everyone here does.
I am originally from germany but live in Australie.
I bought a Sony PRS 900 only a few months ago because I still like to read german books which are hard to get her but thanks to the ebooks and readers I just love it.

At the moments I am reading Michael Robotham Adrenalin is the german titel.
Other Authors I just adore are:
Henning Mankell, Stieg Larsson, Tess Gerritson, Joy Fielding, Mo Hayder, Dean R Koontz, Stephen King, Jonathan Kellermann, James Patterson, Harlan Coben, Paul Cohelo, Nevil Shute, John Grisham, Patricia Shaw, Sarah Lark, Bryce Courtenay, Di Morrissey, Rohinton Mistry's: A fine balance, James Frey's Thousand little pieces ..... and there are lots of others cannot list them all.

If you have the same taste and know where I can get some of these books as ebook for free pleas elet me know by private message.

[Moderators Note: Please post legitimate sources of free ebooks publicly. MobileRead strongly disapproves of pirated ebooks.]

Thanks and happy reading.
Gapstar aka Gabi

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-16-2013 at 08:54 AM.
gapstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #10843
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Venue Pro 8
ATDrake, I must say I really, really enjoy your posts.

Quote:
For my money, I recommend Envious Casca and They Found Him Dead as being the most enjoyable, but then I've always had this weird fondness for those squabbling family gatherings whose inevitable murder leads everyone who's a suspect trying to accuse everyone else who's a suspect while maintaining their own innocence right in front of the outraged accused party who valiantly maintains their own innocence while accusing the accuser in front of everyone else who's a suspect.
This reminded me - have you read the Thoroughly Southern mystery series by Patricia Sprinkle? Add Southern weirdness in there and they pretty closely match your above description...

Currently reading Baited Blood by Sue Ann Jaffarian.

Last edited by phenomshel; 09-20-2011 at 01:59 AM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #10844
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Currently reading Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes - and it's simply riveting. Not at all the sort of book I normally read. Hard core Vietnam War novel, but I guess I knew just enough guys who served over there that I find the detail and the graphic descriptions of how they lived (and how they were jerked over by the officers and the politics) to make for a great novel. This isn't Rambo stuff - it's real people caught up in history and politics and vaguely surreal situations.

Now I hear Marlantes has a new, non-fiction book out where he expounds a bit on one of the events from Matterhorn that was based on his personal experience. Which kind of explains why the novel is such a gripping read.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #10845
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I'm starting to research for a new book, so I'm reading Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us.

If you've ever been fascinated by evil people like Jeffrey Dahmer, it's definitely worth a read. The author estimates that about 2% of the US population is psychopathic.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote