Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
BoggyB
BoggyB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Installing USBNetwork on Kindle 3 via Windows 7

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums.

I just received my Kindle 3 in the mail, and immediately ran into a brick wall. I got the WiFi only version, and my university network uses Enterprise. Aaah, nvm... I came across a patch for this on these forums. So, I jailbroke it. However, I would really appreciate any pointers you could give me with regards to the USBNetwork installation process.

The README that comes with it is a little intimidating
Quote:
I *strongly* recommend having a proper Linux CLI sysadmin background before trying to use this,
or you *WILL* probably end up messing your Kindle up. Do *NOT* do anything with this unless
your are *REALLY* sure you understand what you're doing.

First off, can I install USBNetwork on my Kindle from Windows 7, or will I need to install a Linux OS on another partition? If that's the case, would Ubuntu work?

This is the site I've found that explains how to make the Kindle connect to an enterprise network: (I've removed the link)

Please do not be put off by my questions. Yes, I am an undergraduate freshman but I'm eager to learn. And I couldn't find any helpful info on what USBNetwork is via Google.

Last edited by BoggyB; 09-09-2011 at 02:24 AM.
BoggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggyB View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums.

I just received my Kindle 3 in the mail, and immediately ran into a brick wall. I got the WiFi only version, and my university network uses Enterprise. Aaah, nvm... I came across a patch for this on these forums. So, I jailbroke it. However, I would really appreciate any pointers you could give me with regards to the USBNetwork installation process.

The README that comes with it is a little intimidating

First off, can I install USBNetwork on my Kindle from Windows 7, or will I need to install a Linux OS on another partition? If that's the case, would Ubuntu work?

This is the site I've found that explains how to make the Kindle connect to an enterprise network: http://frakira.fi.muni.cz/~antos/201...e-and-eduroam/

Please do not be put off by my questions. Yes, I am an undergraduate freshman but I'm eager to learn. And I couldn't find any helpful info on what USBNetwork is via Google.
Basically you can install USBNetwork without any problems via a Win7 PC. Having got it on there you need some knowledge to use it. The warnings are only there to stop you tinkering if you do not know what you are doing as it is possible to brick the Kindle.
pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
BoggyB
BoggyB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdagenius View Post
Basically you can install USBNetwork without any problems via a Win7 PC. Having got it on there you need some knowledge to use it. The warnings are only there to stop you tinkering if you do not know what you are doing as it is possible to brick the Kindle.
Yes, I understand that. I phrased my problem badly. The thing is, in order to allow my Kindle to connect to an enterprise network, I have to run certain commands. This is on the website I mentioned earlier:
Quote:
Connect to Kindle’s shell via usbnetwork like this. On your Kindle, go Home, press Del, type “;debugOn” and Enter. Type “~usbNetwork” in the same way. Your Kindle is now switched from mass storage to USB network mode. Connect it to the computer via cable.
On your computer, run

modprobe usbnet
modprobe cdc_ether
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
ssh root@192.168.2.2

You can also store ssh keys into /etc/base-us/usbnet/etc/authorized_keys, but if connecting without password is OK, skip it.
This is clearly intended to be input into a Linux terminal, no? My question is, is there any way to execute these commands from windows? Without an OS emulator?
BoggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggyB View Post
This is clearly intended to be input into a Linux terminal, no? My question is, is there any way to execute these commands from windows? Without an OS emulator?
Yep, that was the Linux version. On Windows, the corresponding steps would be:
  • you need to install a USB driver for generic CDC ethernet devices (I don't use Windows, other people might have suggestions on where to get such a driver for Win7, maybe you can even look it up here in the forums)
  • you need to set up the IP address for it manually
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
  • you need to install a USB driver for generic CDC ethernet devices (I don't use Windows, other people might have suggestions on where to get such a driver for Win7, maybe you can even look it up here in the forums)
See if this post helps you. It did allow me to access the Root Linux file system form Win7 x64

Last edited by pdagenius; 09-08-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added more info
pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
anthonyb
anthonyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi v3.2.1
I've seen several posts asking where to get the USB Network driver (RNDIS) for Windows. However when I installed usbNetwork on my Kindle 3 WiFi I did so from a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1. After copying over the usbNetwork installer and completing the s/w update I toggled usbNetwork, plugged the USB cable back in, and my PC started to search the internet for a suitable driver. It took a good minute but eventually Windows automatically downloaded and installed the correct driver all on its own without me having to do anything!

Once the driver was installed I did have to go to Device Manager to manually set the IP address for the new device to 192.168.2.1. Note that I've installed Microsoft's SUA (Subsystem for Unix-based Applications AMD64) on my PC so I simply started a Bash shell on Windows (installed seperately) and successfully ran ssh root@192.168.2.2 to connect to my Kindle. It worked perfectly first time.

When I subsequently installed and started Luigi's KiTerm via scp and ssh, $TERM was still set to 'Interix' (from having connected from Windows) and commands like top would not run. After rebooting the Kindle everything worked correctly.

Last edited by anthonyb; 10-05-2011 at 11:40 AM.
anthonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan
Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post

The Win7 should able to detect and automatic installing the driver without problem. Use the lastest version of hack.

For detailed step by step instructions, please see the post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...stcount=55here

The IP address may be different depends on the version of the hack, check the "readme" file that comes with the hack.
Awak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enterprise, kindle 3, noob, usbnetwork, windows