Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
subivan
subivan began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Calibre Content server and Iomega NAS

I am hoping for some help here, I have been using Calibre for some time,(and I must say it is a brilliant piece of software) first with a local folder on one PC and a Sony e reader. I have now added an IOMEGA cloud NAS server to my network, moved the calibre library to a mapped drive on the NAS and access it from multiple PCs and use Itunes for the two IPADs we have. This allows different collections of books on the two ipads and is very easy to use, connecting to a different itunes library on different pcs.
I have also been able to browse the NAS remotely and select a book to download to the IPAds.
My problem is that when I try to use the caliber content server, it appears to be empty, I get the following error message

Error: No books found

Object.createException (http://127.0.0.1:8080/static/stacktrace.js:81:18)
Object.run (http://127.0.0.1:8080/static/stacktrace.js:66:25)
(and some other similar lines)

I assume I am doing something wrong, and there is probably a simple way of pointing the content server at the correct folder and database but I can't see it.
I have spent some time looking at other threads and got thoroughly confused as to whether I have set things up correctly in the first place, but so far the only thing that doesn't go well is the content server. I was hoping to be able to stop using Itunes!

I hope this isn't too "silly" a question but I would appreciate any pointers and advice.
Many thanks
subivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-server --with-library /path/to/library/folder
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
subivan

Sorry about the delayed reply, I have been away working.
Thanks for the help, I had assumed it would be something like that, but, where do I do that? is this a tweak setting or is there somewhere that i can set this as a default so the content server always does this?
I am no programmer just a meddler :-) who gets a lot out of your Calibre

Last edited by subivan; 08-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How are you starting the calibre server? That instruction is for starting it from the command line. If you are starting it from the main calibre program, then it will use whatever library is used by the main calibre program.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
subivan

I am just using the main programme and have set the server to start automatically. When I access the server using stanza on my home network, it says no books found, (using book sources and the ip of the pc running Calibre. When i use "computers sharing option" it also shows no books) and when I go via the preferences option and test the server I get the error message above.

Last edited by subivan; 08-11-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Make sure you haven't set a restriction for the content server in Preferences->sharing over the net.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
subivan

I am using the default settings in preferences, clicking on the test button appears to take me to the content server (which shows the drive and path to the main calibre library in the bottom right hand side) but when I select a category it says no books found. This is also what i get from Stanza which sees the server but returns no books.
The ip in the web server screen is http://127.0.0.1:8080/browse/category/allbooks which I assumed it was some sort of standard refer or loop address and hence my question about redirecting the server.
thanks for the help so far but I don't want to waste too much (of anyones time) time as I can achieve what i want to do in other ways, but I liked the idea of the content server working with Stanza
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The only way that I know of for the content server to say there are no books is:

1) There are actually no books in your library
2) You have set a restriction in preferences
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
subivan

Well, I don't know how to set restrictions, I have ensured that the defaults are applied in preferences and there are definitely books in the library.

Thanks for trying anyway, if i find an answer I will post it here.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
subivan

I have just updated to version 8.14, and without making any changes, the server works fine. Thanks again

Tags
calibre, content server