Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #781
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfchimneyrock View Post
I have updated it with screen refreshes and a debug printout ... let me know how this works.
When switching from Duokan to Kindle it refreshes. But real problem is that: They both executes key input at the same moment. Restarting Duokan has a few seconds, Hence I can kill whenever switch back to Kindle. However it takes much time to start Kindle. If there was a way too pause Kindle when reading on Duokan it would be great..

Last edited by thomass; 08-07-2011 at 03:05 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #782
wolfchimneyrock
wolfchimneyrock began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k3 3G/wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
When switching from Duokan to Kindle it refreshes. But real problem is that: They both executes key input at the same moment. Restarting Duokan has a few seconds, Hence I can kill whenever switch back to Kindle. However it takes much time to start Kindle. If there was a way too pause Kindle when reading on Duokan it would be great..
it is supposed to be pausing kindle while running duokan. that is the entire point, obviously it is behaving different on your kindle than mine. when you are getting input to both at the same time, try to switch again and tell me the message that pops up.
wolfchimneyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #783
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have only really tried running it from kindle startup
I restart from Kindle, then try again
Quote:
From DS=T | KS=SL|
Quote:
From DS=S| KS=TL

Not fixed. Both still work in the backround. takes key commands.

(attachments are for wolfchimneyrock: bin.log.txt ps.log.txt )

Last edited by thomass; 08-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #784
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm just curious about something.

With all these enthusiastic people on the forums here, couldn't we get a clear "connection" between the Chinese developers of Doukan and the forum members here to have a clear collaboration so that we don't have to edit .txt files in order for Doukan to be in English.

Can't they just create a subforum where the English version of Doukan would be posted and updated just as the Chinese version?

I understand that Chinese is spoken by 1billion+ people but let us not forget that English is the language of the Internetz...
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #785
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast
majidbhurgri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle3/3G
Duokan Lite viz a viz Duokan
I had been using Duokan and today I set up Duokan Lite. I had played with it sometime back but then switched back to Duokan.
I was very happy to see the Epub support and it was delight to see that PDF rendering is at par with Kindle. But here is what I miss Duokan because the Lite version lacks these:

1. PDF files Index is not available, just like Kindle. It makes navigating PDF files pain in the neck. Why can't Duokan lite have this feature when Duokan had it.

2. Flexible zooming like Region zooming came very handy with PDF files having white space around which could be removed easily. This too was a great Duokan feature missing in the lite version.

3. Font choice and ability to play contrast is also also missing.

And this issue of input being sent to both the OS, as pointed by thomass, is also frustrating.

In view of these, despite excellent text resolution and the ability to switch between the two OS, I may be forced to switch back to old Duokan. Wish there was a way of getting better PDF text rendering on old Duokan...
majidbhurgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #786
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidbhurgri View Post
But here is what I miss Duokan because the Lite version lacks these:
It's obvious that Duokan is better than DLite since DLite is a newly-created OS. However ,as far as I understand, they stopped upgrading Duokan. They rebuilds the structure on Dlite considering efficiency,..etc . Hence Dlite will be better than Doukan in time....

(input being sent to both the OS when I used launchpad files ( DK_quickswitch.zip) sent by wolfchimneyrock. Otherwise there is no problem)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #787
BernardSamason
BernardSamason began at the beginning.

Device: K3w
Duokan and Duokan Lite

Quote:
It's obvious that Duokan is better than DLite since DLite is a newly-created OS. However ,as far as I understand, they stopped upgrading Duokan. They rebuilds the structure on Dlite considering efficiency,..etc . Hence Dlite will be better than Doukan in time....

(input being sent to both the OS when I used launchpad files ( DK_quickswitch.zip) sent by wolfchimneyrock. Otherwise there is no problem)
I am a new user of Kindle 3 Wifi (without special offers.) I've installed the Duokan_0_5_13_8942__2011_05_20_english version.
I chose this version over the Duokan Lite, because it did not require jailbreak and preserved the original Kindle system.

My experience with Duokan over about 4-5 days can be summarized as follows.
Greatly improved UI navigation.
Greatly improved PDF support, however, I am not quite ready to read PDFs using Duokan.
djvus read very slowly.
Russian texts display with a long inter-character distance, making it impossoble to read.
MOBI text looks nicer under Kindle OS.
EPUB - ditto.
MPlayer is a nice improvement.

My question, is the Duokan Lite version, eventually be installable without jailbreak?
BernardSamason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #788
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSamason View Post
My question, is the Duokan Lite version, eventually be installable without jailbreak?
Already!.

You confused two different Duokan Lite:
1- A way to use Duokan on Kindle. with the help jailbreak and launchpad without installation: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125517
2- Another product from Duokan Team.Installation is the same with Duokan you installed (without jailbreak): http://translate.googleusercontent.c...sjzflxls4FeWiA
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #789
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidbhurgri View Post

1. PDF files Index is not available, just like Kindle. It makes navigating PDF files pain in the neck. Why can't Duokan lite have this feature when Duokan had it.
Doukan doesn't recognize the TOC on PDF. How do you get access to it?

Last edited by thebestjeter; 08-22-2011 at 10:20 AM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #790
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Doukan doesn't recognize the TOC on PDF. How do you get to access to it?
It does. If you press menu and then D (Go To...) and then A for Directory, it will show the TOC on PDF (created using bookmarks in Acrobat) flawlessly. I just rechecked it as I write this. Duokan lite does not give you access.

Moreover, Duokan lite also does not show the PDF process bar or page numbers. So if the book by any chance does not have page numbers, one feels totally lost. It does not also allow the PDF file in reflowing text. Although this feature in Duokan too is limited as line breaks in original PDF file appear as paragraph breaks which is a bit disconcerting. I had hoped that this would be addressed in some future release but in this regard Duokan lite is a step behind.

The only things likable about Duokan Lite are its ability to render PDF text niccely, smaller (about 1/4th) disk space needed and the ability to switch between Kindle and Duokan OS. But when it came to handling and display of PDF files, Duokan was feature rich. If Duokan could render PDF text as nicely that would be great. Else, the developers should consider integrating excellent features of Duokan.

I did not test, and do not know, whether Duokan Lite handles Word and HTML files and whether it allows for font substitution (which one can do in Duokan after installing fonts through font hack.)

Duokan lite can be great, if it integrates the features of Duokan, and also allows you to reflow text of PDF files properly, letting you select the font and so on...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #791
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast

Quote:
Already!.

You confused two different Duokan Lite:
1- A way to use Duokan on Kindle. with the help jailbreak and launchpad without installation: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125517
2- Another product from Duokan Team.Installation is the same with Duokan you installed (without jailbreak): http://translate.googleusercontent.c...sjzflxls4FeWiA
Thanks thomass for these links... I would like to have all the three systems on board so that I can keep observing improvements in dklite. However, I am a little confused, may be you can help me out... The instructions seem to read:
(1) in the original kindle the system's root directory, copy "Duokan Lite" in DK_System and the corresponding update of the three. Bin files (. Bin path as follows: "update"> k3 update> 3 bin files ) to the root directory
Now the Duokan Lite folder contains DK_System folder which in has 3 folders "bin", "install" and "Lite". I am confused which of these folders are to be copied exactly where? Last night, after playing with Duokan Lite, I uninstalled it by simply removing the DK_System and replacing it with DK_System of Duokan which I had backed up earlier. The DK_System already contains "bin" and "install" folders. Can you guide me which of the dklite folders go where and whether I need to run the update again (I had ran it earlier when installing dklite).
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #792
thomass
Wizard

There are only two different system apart from original KindleOS.
If you want to install both Duokan and Duokan lite:

First install Duokan
1-Copy folders: DK_Documents,DK_Pictures and DK_System
files: update_duokan_ObOOa.bin, update_duokan_0b006.bin and update_duokan_0b008.bin
2- update Kindle

Switch to Kindle Sytem again

Then install Duokan Lite:
1- Copy folder DK_System as a whole. ( Approve overwriting the existing ones, etc)
files:update_duokan_ObOOa.bin,update_duokan_0b006. bin and update_duokan_0b008.bin

2- update again

see: update files for DLite:
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled picture.png
Views:	44515
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	76472

make sure that hacks are not installed (including jailbreak)

Last edited by thomass; 09-13-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #793
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast

Quote:
There are only two different system apart from original KindleOS....
Thanks for very clear instructions. Now when one plays a lot and does not keep notes, strange things happen. I uninstalled only jailbreak, left launchpad alone. Followed your instructions and all went fine.

Now launchpad is still running (jailbreak is uninstalled though). The switcher is still acting funny, that is sending input to multiple systems. How do I get rid of it? Just remove the switcher files and use old dklite files for launchpad, I guess?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #794
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I have installed the jailbreak, usbnetwork, luigi's terminal, and this most recent 0805 duokan lite.
He says his device acts as expected without any problem. Then If you install usbnetwork also ( he says he may used some functions of it), problem may be solved. I didn't try it yet. If you try, let me know the result. (luigi's terminal includes launchpad.) (After installing Duokans, it is ok to install jailbreak,..etc) It would be better if you reinstall launchpad also.

Last edited by thomass; 08-08-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #795
BernardSamason
BernardSamason began at the beginning.

Device: K3w
Quote:
There are only two different system apart from original KindleOS.
If you want to install both Duokan and Duokan lite:

First install Duokan
1-Copy folders: DK_Documents,DK_Pictures and DK_System
files: update_duokan_ObOOa.bin, update_duokan_0b006.bin and update_duokan_0b008.bin
2- update Kindle

Switch to Kindle Sytem again

Then install Duokan Lite:
1- Copy folder DK_System as a whole. ( Approve overwriting the existing ones, etc)
files:update_duokan_ObOOa.bin,update_duokan_0b006. bin and update_duokan_0b008.bin

2- update again

see: Attachment 75199 update files for DLite

make sure that hacks are not installed (including jailbreak)
Thank you thomass, for the clarification and the installation instructions!

I've followed your instructions above, since I already had Duokan installed, I copied over the DK_System folder, overwriting any existing files, and then copied the bin files, and finally did an install.
I noticed that you did not refer to the DK_Documents folder which came with the 0805 package.

Anyway, the install apparently worked. I now boot to 3 options on the menu:
Q for DK_Lite, A for the old Duokanand Z for KindleOS.

When Lite comes up, the menus are in Chinese! How do I change the menus to English.
Should I move over anything from the DK_Documents folder?
BernardSamason is offline   Reply With Quote