Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
This one sounds quite doable, though regardless of the weight, Fujitsu is notorious for making thick laptops campared with Sony's, esp. regarding their LCDs. I like the size of the screen, though you really cannot trust pictures of the product alone without having some human reference in the same pic; i.e., hands actually using the device, not just holding it. Thanks for the ref!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
This one sounds quite doable, though regardless of the weight, Fujitsu is notorious for making thick laptops campared with Sony's, esp. regarding their LCDs. I like the size of the screen, though you really cannot trust pictures of the product alone without having some human reference in the same pic; i.e., hands actually using the device, not just holding it. Thanks for the ref!
We use Fujitsu-Siemens laptops at the company I work for. They're pretty good - reliable and sturdy. Not "sexy", certainly, but good everyday business tools.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #18
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
That's what I get for surfing too early in the morning! My brain got confused by the fact that 900g is both less than one kilo and fractionally less than two pounds, and combined the two systems...
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #19
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We use Fujitsu-Siemens laptops at the company I work for. They're pretty good - reliable and sturdy. Not "sexy", certainly, but good everyday business tools.
I am currently writing this on the Fujitsu P7120. It's not a "tablet", but it's quite a small laptop, and has a form-factor I like. I prefer small footprint to thinness, though I should point out that this impacts screen size negatively (not a problem for me, but others have different preferences). As you say, the Fujitsu is certainly not "sexy", but, then, I'm not after "sexy". It's solid, gets a good knockaround with nary a whimper (I'm sure you're not suppose to pick it up regularly by the top of its screen ), and it's got a nice, long battery life if you want it (note, low-power processor also means slower processor). It also slips into my little Crumpler bag - the Breakfast Buffet - with enough space for a book (or an Iliad) in the front. This laptop was definitely designed with a good corporate bashing in mind, but was priced accordingly. (Note, I choose a bag big enough to hold the laptop, the power adapter if necessary, and a book - anything else tempts me to load-up with a whole heap of other crap, which defeats the point for me of aiming for "small" and portable).

I'd not previously considered Fujitsu prior to this. The other choice in this size was a Sony, and it didn't have a required CD/DVD drive, nor did it seem quite as well-built when I played with one (there were expressions of weakness in the build of the screen in some reviews, though it should be noted that "flex" does not always equate with breakage - sometimes flex is preferable to the alternative ). I think the Sony was very marginally smaller again too (I think it was in the screen thickness); it was definitely sexier, though in a "pay for it" kind of way. I know that, from my experience working IT procurement for a couple of companies, and buying from multiple manufacturers, these Fujitsu laptops have been one of my better choices for the required purpose. My former boss absolutely loves his (he's had a gazillion laptops in his time, and he's quite hard on them) and that was always good news for me.

(Note, my "procurement" and IT experience has never extended to Apple - they were for a couple of reasons - none of them to do with quality - incompatible with the corporate requirements of both companies I have worked for in that field).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #20
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Dell Latitude XT

Just to follow up on this. Apparently I'm getting one of the new Dell tablets for testing in work. I don't know what type of screen are on the ones that are on order. Looks good though. See:

http://www.dell.com/tablet?s=biz&cs=555

I'll post a mini-review after I get it and have used it for a while.

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #21
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicula View Post
Just to follow up on this. Apparently I'm getting one of the new Dell tablets for testing in work. I don't know what type of screen are on the ones that are on order. Looks good though. See:

http://www.dell.com/tablet?s=biz&cs=555

I'll post a mini-review after I get it and have used it for a while.

Ian
That would be great as I was just shopping them the other night.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #22
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I got my grubby mitts on the Gigabyte M704 this weekend (didn't have any in-stock to purchase though... sigh...). It's actually on of the better UMPC/small size Tablets I've played with recently. It was actually at a decent price-point too ~$800. My only qualms were not knowing if it flips to portrait-mode or not and the smallish-keyboard, other than that it had an awesome resolution & size. Screen ~7"
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote