Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Listening to Starman Jones by Robert Heinlein.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #17
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Listening to The Long Walk by Stephen King. Only listen when I'm in bed, and only for an hour or so. Absolutely no interuptions!
Stephen_Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
I've never been able to enjoy audio books. That said, I just finished listening to Samuel L. Jackson read Go the F--K to Sleep. Shouldn't have done this in the airport--too many laugh out loud moments that garnered some seriously weird looks!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I've never been able to enjoy audio books. That said, I just finished listening to Samuel L. Jackson read Go the F--K to Sleep. Shouldn't have done this in the airport--too many laugh out loud moments that garnered some seriously weird looks!
Haha I love how he reads it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
An NPR audio adaptation of A Canticle for Liebowitz as a 15 part serial at The Internet Archive. I've read the book a couple of times and this is an adaptation (read abridged) version, but it's still good, with a full cast of characters. And it's free.
Finished it this afternoon on the road to visit my Dad. What a thoroughly depressing story. Still a great story and a wonderful cast of characters. Well worth the time.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from the Shannara books as my bedtime story, and have started Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. It's a bit tedious so far, but that's not a terrible quality in a bedtime story
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #22
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Now listening to Bag of Bones narrated by Stephen King. It's not bad.
Stephen_Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Patient Zero

I recently finished Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. I went in expecting a zombie novel and didn't really get it. IMO, a zombie novel requires a substantial zombie outbreak, with a city overrun at minimum. This was much more a men's adventure novel that used zombies as its mcguffin (macguffin?). I've read such, and the tone is different from both science fiction and horror. This had that tone.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 PM   #24
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I'm new to Audiobooks, I've recently finished The Passage by Justin Cronin (fantastic) and The Third Option by Vince Flynn (Just Ok) I'm about to start Plum Island by Nelson Demille
Finished Plum Island It was narrated by Scott Brick and he did an excellent job. It was my first John Corey novel and at the start the character annoyed me, but as it went on I was too busy chuckling at him to worry about what it was I didn't like and by time I was finished I was a little in love with him

Next up Cruel Intent by J.A. Jance
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #25
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
I am currently half-way through A Mighty Fortress by David Weber and read by Jason Culp. I have finally gotten used to his style of the narration. It is definitely different from Oliver Wyman who read the first 2 books in the series.

I have a number of audio books on the TBR pile, so I have no idea what will be the next listen.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #26
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My car commute book is "The Blue Hour" by T. Jefferson parker. This is a rather disappointing novel with plot holes you can drive a truck through, characters that one page are too weak to hold up a book and the next day is body-surfing to applause, pages of thoughts/feelings in the middle of a conversation, etc. A socially dysfunctional serial killer that seems so self-absorbed that he can barely function but manages to elude detection or capture for years. The parts ... just do not fit together.

For my workout MP3 player I just finished "Drybone Hollow" by John Billheimer. It turns out this is the 4 th book in the series but while previous events were mentioned, it did not mean I could not enjoy the story. The narration was good with accents that added to the novel.

I have just started "The Eleventh Commandment" by Jeffery Archer. In about 30 minutes I am eager to go back to the gym to listen to more.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #27
Mjaydakid
Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3
I am just starting the Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia. I am in the middle of "Monster Hunter International". These are tiding me over till I get my hands on the new Dresden novel, "Ghost Story". I am disturbed by the reviews of Ghost Story (folks don't like the new narrator), So I am not in a hurry to listen to it.
Mjaydakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 AM   #28
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman read by Rebecca Lacey. Terrific book and great reader.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #29
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
All I listen to in the car are audiobooks and have been doing it for about ten years, so I have listened to a lot of books. My taste for books to 'read' leans primarily to sci-fi, but for audiobooks I have had to widen the selection as most of my audiobooks come from the library and their selection of sci-fi is pretty limited. My tastes still generally run towards fiction, but occasionally I'll mix in a non-fiction book that catches my eye. At the moment, I'm listening to 'Paris, 1919' by Margaret MacMillan. This is a non-fiction work about the post-World War I peace conferences that decided the national boundaries for many countries in central Europe, the Balkans, and the middle East; the disposition of Germany's colonies; setup the League of Nations; and established the terms of the Versailles Peace Treaty. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and so far it is still interesting. It is surprising how little has changed in the world of politics in the last 100 years!

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #30
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Currently listening to Rules of Prey by John Sandford narrated by Richard Ferrone not bad so far, it's my first Prey novel. I just got an email from Audible advertising a $9.95 winter sale 150+ books. It's winter down here but it's not everywhere is the sale worldwide or is it only this region? I'm going to look through it later and see if there's anything worth getting.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations