Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
GavinC
GavinC began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
icon design

Hi

I'm a web designer and photo retoucher. I'd like to offer to redesign the Calibre navbar (and sidebar) icons so that they're of one consistent style - Is this something that people would like? I can either modify the existing icons or come up with new ones - whatever people think is the most effective/condign. I can also help with any and all GUI design considerations, but I'm strictly a designer - the only thing I code in is flash and my 'coding' even gives me the horrors...

Please feel free to let me know if this is something you guys would like - or if there's another way I can help graphically I'd be keen to hear of it
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Hi Gavin. That's a great idea. I would definitely like to see it happen.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
GavinC
GavinC began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Great! so now what?
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Download the calibre source from here: http://code.google.com/p/calibre-ebo...-0.8.10.tar.gz

In it you will find the icons in scalable format (SVG) in the imgsrc/ folder. The actual icons are generated from these sources in the png format. The actual icons are in the resources/images folder.

Make your changes, and post them, you will get feedback from users, if there is a consensus that the changes are better than the original, I will be happy to update the icons.

Instructions for getting your calibre install to use customized icons are here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...lates-etcetera
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
I'm not fussy on graphic design, but if you come up with changes, and if there is consensus they are an improvement, the one thing I'd suggest to be changed is the recycle/delete icon. I've tried to get accustomed to it, but still find it a bit strange.

Also, you really need to open a thread on this in the main forum (and add a link here to it), so many users can see the proposed changes. This subforum is frequented by developers and everyone knows they are odd.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
To me red for adding and geen for deleting just felt wrong in the end I just removed the delete button from the toolbar I never used it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
the one thing I'd suggest to be changed is the recycle/delete icon.
I thought that I was the only one bothered by that. I wish it was a trash can instead. I know it means remove or delete but even after almost two years of usage it still confuses me when I see this icon.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You people and your reliance on icons. Words get the point across just fine.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You people and your reliance on icons. Words get the point across just fine.
What language?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
What language?
Esperanto of course.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Esperanto of course.
Excellent! We'll put "forvisi" on the delete button.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Halo and Starson17,

I'm interested to know, if you don't like the current 'delete a book' icon why don't you just change it? It's as simple as finding one you do like and putting it in your config directory as configdir/resources/images/trash.png

For instance, this is the one I use
Attached Images

jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Halo and Starson17,

I'm interested to know, if you don't like the current 'delete a book' icon why don't you just change it?
Lazy
Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hey, thanks Jackie. I used your icon!

@gavin: I for one would love to see refreshed icons!
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote