Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Tulapi
Enthusiast
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602
New port of the "links" web browser

People in the russian forum have just started a new port of the "links" web browser (kind of text-mode browser. the one used to access to bookland site). They have added the ability to use it offline.

PRO series
Installation
You have to put links.app and links-offline.app (offline browser - you have to add it to extensions.cfg in order to use it with HTML files)
in /system/bin/

and links-browser.app (online browser)
in "applications" folder.

It is really beta now. There is now a bug-tracker for Pocketbook (registration is in russian, but then you can change your langage preferences)

Font size
In the Russian forum, sergueyvl provides us an usefult tip to change the defaut font size :
Open links-browser.app in a text editor and replace the line :
Code:
exec /mnt/ext1/system/bin/links.app -bookland-off http://www.google.com
by
Code:
cd /mnt/ext1/system/bin/
./links.app -bookland-off -html-user-font-size 30 http://www.google.com
You can naturally replace "30" by whatever you want. And you can change the links-offline.app file too.
See attachment for a sample of the result on Pro 602.

3xx series
There is now a port of the Links browser for the 3xx series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0004.png
Views:	180
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	76012  

Last edited by Tulapi; 09-02-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: convert image to PNG to have a thumbnail
Tulapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini
Tulapi, thanks for the tip!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

actually, I cannot make it work as an offline reader- when I try and use "open with", I get an error message "programe cannot start". However the application on its own does start. I have checked the cfg file a hundred times, and all is spelled correctly there. Any idea? I am on firmware 2.1.1. In fact, now that I think about it I have a similar problem with teh Hacked version of adobeviewer. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Tulapi
Enthusiast
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
actually, I cannot make it work as an offline reader- when I try and use "open with", I get an error message "programe cannot start". However the application on its own does start. I have checked the cfg file a hundred times, and all is spelled correctly there. Any idea? I am on firmware 2.1.1. In fact, now that I think about it I have a similar problem with teh Hacked version of adobeviewer. Any ideas?
I am sorry paola, I have misunderstood the instructions. You have to put links-offline.app in /system/bin/. I have checked : it works now.

(I have edited my initial message).
Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
FW 2.1.1 - 'offline-browser' does not work.
There is no "program cannot start" message."Links" just does not start.

Last edited by osowiecki; 07-04-2011 at 03:27 PM.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by osowiecki View Post
FW 2.1.1 - 'offline-browser' does not work.
There is no "program cannot start" message."Links" just does not start.
it does work on my pb903, though (also FW2.1.1) - so you "open with" the links, ad nothing happens? could it be a problem with the file you are trying to open?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
it does work on my pb903, though (also FW2.1.1) - so you "open with" the links, ad nothing happens? could it be a problem with the file you are trying to open?
There are 2 versions of FW 2.1.x, right? (mine is E903.2.1.0 20110512_175317) This might be it. I'll try to upgrade to that second 2.1.x FW and check it.
I have put links-browser.app into the "Applications" folder. Other 2 apps went to "system=>bin".
In "System>Config>extensions.cfg" I put "links-offline.app" for all HTML's.
When I select "open with > links-offline" the screen flashes and nothing happens.

Update :

I have updated to E903.2.1.1 20110610_174556.
Still nothing.

Last edited by osowiecki; 07-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by osowiecki View Post
I have updated to E903.2.1.1 20110610_174556.
Still nothing.
this is the same I have - and I have doen as you have. Why don't you try and open the attached file? It does open fine in my device, so we can test - I've just read on the Russian forum that for some unknown reasons sometimes even file which should open, don't.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipped.zip (2.2 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by paola; 07-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
osowiecki
Connoisseur

Quote:
The problem was the file link?
Inside Link-offline.app we can see :

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/ext1/system/bin/links.app -bookland-off -offline $1

So..I created "system/bin/" on microSD card and placed links.app + links-offline.app in there. Now it works. (?)
What is the proper name of 'PB903' internal partition?

Ok..after the reset ,program started to work fine. (No SD manipulations are needed).
Strange...

Sorry for all the fuss.

Last edited by osowiecki; 07-04-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Tulapi
Enthusiast

Added the ability to change the font size (see first message of the thread).
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
Tulapi
Enthusiast

Links is now available for 30x series. (see first message)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
paola
Wizard

Tulapi, many thanks - just one qeustion: is it me, or it is NOT possible to bookmark a page with the links browser?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
Tulapi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Tulapi, many thanks - just one qeustion: is it me, or it is NOT possible to bookmark a page with the links browser?
Bookmarks exist in the Links software, but I don't know a way to to activate it, sorry !
I don't have a touchscreen, so I don't know if it is possible to open a menu (does something happen when you click on bar on the top edge of the window ?)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #14
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulapi View Post
Bookmarks exist in the Links software, but I don't know a way to to activate it, sorry !
I don't have a touchscreen, so I don't know if it is possible to open a menu (does something happen when you click on bar on the top edge of the window ?)
thanks Tulapi: as far as I can tell, the only thing that pops up is the keyboard (to enter the address you want).
Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
gshank
Enthusiast
gshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animalsgshank is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle
new compile of links browser

One of the big problems with the user installed links, is that it wasn't finding a "home" directory, so it had no place to put the history, etc. I've recompiled it and supplied it with the USERDATA directory, which is /mnt/ext1/system. So now this links will create a links home directory under the system directory. And back and forward (in history) seems to actually work now. I've also included a script to startup the browser with a local html file in which you can put your own links, making it practically possible to use the browser.

I looked at the code for the bookmarks function in links, and it would require a fair amount of code to implement connections to it. I got a quickmenu to pop up, and then got it to pop up the book mark handler, but getting it actually usable will be a fair amount of work, and I don't know how much time I'll have for it.

So here's a new compile of the browser and an example script and "start.html" file to put "bookmarks" in...

Gerda

p.s. this is for the pro versions. I'm not sure there's any reason to use a browser in the others? if someone wants it, let me know, and I'll compile it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip my_links.zip (1.81 MB, 248 views)

Last edited by gshank; 07-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.
gshank is offline   Reply With Quote