Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Best EReader for Collections?

I used to have the Sony PRS-505 and I loved it for the collections feature which is the main reason I switched to Sony from Kindle. Is there another eReader (ie Kobo) that offers good collections management through Calibre? I know Kindle offers collections but not through Calibre. Any suggestions?

I'm going on a trip soon and was hoping to pick up the newer Sony PRS-350. I've searched Best Buy (three locations), PC Richard, Sears, Wal-Mart, Target, Borders is closed down my area, Sony Store is closed down my area.

I can order one online but I'm leaving for my trip too soon and would like a reader. I prefer the Sony for its design, ePub support and collections feature. The most important part to me is the collections though.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can use Calibre for collections on your Kindle. I have not done so but folks can walk you through how to do it.

I think you can use Calibre for collections with the Nook devices
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Collections on Kindle work fine in Calibre now, thanks to a plug-in writen by meme. So if that's your primary concern, then Kindle is a good option.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Great thanks for input CRussel and ProfCrash. What about the Kobo? My interest in that is the price point and the loss of the clunky Kindle keyboard which doesn't do it for me.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

I think you can use Calibre for collections with the Nook devices
I don't think you can? Does anyone use Calibre for managing collections on a Nook (I have a Nook Touch, so would be interested)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Great thanks for input CRussel and ProfCrash. What about the Kobo?
No collections. There's some basic shelving functionality which might possibly be expanded on some time in the future, but for now, if it's important to you I'd go for a Sony or Kindle than a Kobo for their more sophisticated library management features.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The Nook Color and Touch use "shelves" which are created on the device. They don't recognize collection tags through calibre like the Sony ereaders do. I agree with the others that Sony and Kindle are probably your best options.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Great thanks for input CRussel and ProfCrash. What about the Kobo? My interest in that is the price point and the loss of the clunky Kindle keyboard which doesn't do it for me.
Kobo isn't an option if you're concerned about Collections managed by Calibre. And as for the keyboard? I thought it looked clunky before I bought my first Kindle. I've now decided I like it in preference to a touch screen.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Kobo isn't an option if you're concerned about Collections managed by Calibre. And as for the keyboard? I thought it looked clunky before I bought my first Kindle. I've now decided I like it in preference to a touch screen.
That is because you are a ludite and want to play with the original Atari system and not the XBox 360. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
redleaf535
redleaf535 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please Help Me

Calibre

Corrupted database

Your calibre database appears to be corrupted. Do you want calibre to try and repair it automatically? If you say No, a new empty calibre library will be created.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 215, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 214, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 318, in initialize_dynamic
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 308, in run
DatabaseException: database disk image is malformed
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 268, in run
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Attached Files
File Type: rar metadata.rar (917.7 KB, 156 views)
redleaf535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It looks to me like your database is corrupted. It looks like you have two options.

There is a Calibre sub-forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

where you are likely to get a much more helpful reply then mine.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleaf535 View Post
Calibre

Corrupted database

Your calibre database appears to be corrupted. Do you want calibre to try and repair it automatically? If you say No, a new empty calibre library will be created.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 215, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 214, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 318, in initialize_dynamic
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 308, in run
DatabaseException: database disk image is malformed
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 268, in run
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That is because you are a ludite and want to play with the original Atari system and not the XBox 360. (winks)
No game devices here at all, though the MS Kinect looks promising. Since I spend my working life in front of a computer, I tend to leave my non-working life for watching the Tour de France on TV (but timeshifted with TiVo), or reading on my Kindle. Or reading an audio book while I knit.