Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
PDFLRF does the best job possible with PDF that you will get on a 6" eink screen. And that is for the 500/505.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #17
chiefraven
chiefraven began at the beginning.

Device: none
oh man that sucks

and i was so excited to get one too..... but i dont wanna always have to buy the ebooks from specialty stores through these reader. =\
chiefraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I thought the Sony Reader also had similar restrictions as far as where you are allowed to buy it, though obviously many people outside the US do buy and use it.
It does, technically, but there are lots of retailers who sell it, a number of which are happy to ship internationally. The main issue with the Kindle is not buying it (you can always buy one from eBay, or whatever) but the fact that Amazon's Kindle bookstore (the main "attraction" of the Kindle) can only be used by people with a US credit card, and there are no easy "workarounds" for that as there are for the Sony. I wouldn't recommend anyone outside the US to buy a Kindle for that reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
chiefraven

man i'm so disheartened by this info.... why do they have to have so many formats? sigh

or why can't they have a program that can convert any format, pdf, into another =\

i hate buying all these specialized ebooks from a certain store... sometimes i download too you know? hehe

how much is a book usually when you buy off these stores anyway
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most formats are pretty easily convertible. PDF is the issue - it wasn't designed to be an eBook format, and is pretty much the worst possible choice for an eBook. If you buy books in a format like Microsoft Reader (LIT) or MobiPocket, they can be reasonably easily converted to anything you fancy.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
chiefraven

hehe... but i already have a ton of freely downloaded ebooks from the web though... there's tons of free ones online... and i've already downloaded them... beside i'm not sure if these specified ebook stores will ahve the stuff i want.... i read a lot of investment books, stuff on forex (foreign exchange) etc etc.

how much does a book cost on these ebook stores?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I suggest you look at a big bookstore like:

http://www.fictionwise.com

and see for yourself.

Anything really from $5 for "back catalog" stuff up to $20 or more for popular "best sellers". $10 is probably about average.