Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 85 88.54%
No 11 11.46%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #271
maylin
Member
maylin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle, nookcolor
Part I, done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I think the readme, under advanced or something talks about skipping backup. I can't remember if I left this feature in or not. If not, you can backup everything on your kindle to your PC and delete everything, then copy it back when you're done.
After removing files from kindle to gain space, I am successfully completed Part I after ~ 50 min. The output folder now I saved contains total of 4 items. There are 2 logs (make-backup and make-image), rootfs.img and update_restore-os.bin.

I am looking forward to updating the client tonight! Thank you for your help!!

Sincerely,
maylin
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #272
timetravel
Junior Member
timetravel began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle dxg
Dear yifanlu,

Just want to show my gratitude for your wonderful work on bringing 3.1 to my dxg and mention a few points I observed after two weeks of usage. Perhaps, it might be useful to you or to other people.

1) Battery will drain overnight if 3G is on when the dxg goes to sleep.
2) Slow wake up from sleep (15 to 20 seconds)
3) The browser sometimes gets into the "Kindle 3 mode"; namely only a part (upper left cornor) of the screen becomes active. The active area is similar to that of screen size of the Kindle 3.
4) Text to speech is not as good.

All these points are OK with me except 3). The only way I can get it back to normal is by resetting the machine. I would be nice if there is a small trick to kill the browser and restart again in normal way.

Thanks again. Now, my dxg becomes MUCH MUCH more useful with pdf files.

TT
timetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #273
mb8312
Member
mb8312 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2011
Device: kindle touch, paperwhite, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Can you post the logs found in the output folder of the kindle USB drive? If what you said is true, chances are your kindle is still in stock 2.5.
It was failed at the step 1 to create rootfs for kindle dx graphite (dxg), it process fine at begining, so I think the custom kernel was working on it. but failed at the process, it takes too long at the process status bar, I thought it was stuck somewhere so i force it to reboot, then ... it bricked :-(

also, my working kindle 2i with 3.1 failed today when browsing a website, it reboot as kindle 3 wifi or 3g did at some web browsing. but it fail and stuck at the booting kindle tree !!! same symptom as my kindle dx us did !! cann't get into recovery mode too. should we make a swap for the kindle 2 dx to resolved the problem ? I will try to compile a swap package, it may help ...

Last edited by mb8312; 06-30-2011 at 01:49 PM.
mb8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #274
maylin
Member
maylin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle, nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
Thank you for your head up. It's the same with mine too after several messing around, and those are exactly the hacks I applied also.
Happy camper now.
Much thanks to yilanfu and nulije.
I third that Duakan launch pad working for me!
Thanks to YifanLu made update possible and DickeFix's Duokan script.

Sincerely,
maylin
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #275
maylin
Member
maylin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle, nookcolor
For those who upgrade, are you able to use the + and - volume contral?
For me, the volume control buttons worked in Doukan but not in Kindle software.
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:05 AM   #276
reprep
Groupie
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 199
Karma: 6720
Join Date: May 2011
Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylin View Post
For those who upgrade, are you able to use the + and - volume contral?
For me, the volume control buttons worked in Doukan but not in Kindle software.
The volume info isn't displayed on screen but the buttons work effectively. I can increase and decrease the TTS volume on kindle software. BTW i use a kindle DXG
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #277
maylin
Member
maylin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle, nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
The volume info isn't displayed on screen but the buttons work effectively. I can increase and decrease the TTS volume on kindle software. BTW i use a kindle DXG
For me, the volume control is not there at all ( in kindle software) and the volume is toward the loud side.

If I am the only one that experienced this, I may try to revert back and run the update once again and see.

Thanks!

maylin
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #278
max99
Groupie
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 185
Karma: 1014996
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb8312 View Post
It was failed at the step 1 to create rootfs for kindle dx graphite (dxg), it process fine at begining, so I think the custom kernel was working on it. but failed at the process, it takes too long at the process status bar, I thought it was stuck somewhere so i force it to reboot, then ... it bricked :-(

also, my working kindle 2i with 3.1 failed today when browsing a website, it reboot as kindle 3 wifi or 3g did at some web browsing. but it fail and stuck at the booting kindle tree !!! same symptom as my kindle dx us did !! cann't get into recovery mode too. should we make a swap for the kindle 2 dx to resolved the problem ? I will try to compile a swap package, it may help ...
oh dear....might be wise to pull these instructions if it's bricking folks kindles. obviously not been tested properly yet.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #279
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 662
Karma: 170717
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
oh dear....might be wise to pull these instructions if it's bricking folks kindles. obviously not been tested properly yet.
That's why I kept asking if he followed the directions. The first step is to run prepare-kindle.bin. This creates a backup and flashes an anti-brick protection into the kernel. It doesn't touch any files, so this step alone can't brick the kindle. He states that he doesn't have a backup, which leads me to believe he proceeded without completing or doing the prepare-kindle step.

And before you accuse me of not testing. I had 5 private testers and a month of public testing. In addition, there were more than 50 reports of success (the poll is inaccurate). This was the only report of failure and I'm not even sure the updater is the cause of it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #280
reprep
Groupie
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 199
Karma: 6720
Join Date: May 2011
Device: amazon kindle DXG
Hi Yifanlu, i have a suggestion that may be a bit complicated to achieve. But i will just shoot.

I am using firmware 3.2.1 for my kindle DXG thanks to you and i really like it. But there are some problems mostly minor but they are still there.

I think the inability to use active content and the long wake-up problem are the most important ones.

What i suggest is some kind of dual-boot for both 2.5.8 and 3.x in the same machine. Like Duokan or something like Duokan-lite which is launched from launch-pad. I know access to FAT is slow, but sometimes i want to play some of the kindle games and i don't want to turn back to 2.5.8 just for this.

I am already more than glad for what you did for us and it is just a suggestion from a fellow who knows nearly nothing about the background of kindle.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #281
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 662
Karma: 170717
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Hi Yifanlu, i have a suggestion that may be a bit complicated to achieve. But i will just shoot.

I am using firmware 3.2.1 for my kindle DXG thanks to you and i really like it. But there are some problems mostly minor but they are still there.

I think the inability to use active content and the long wake-up problem are the most important ones.

What i suggest is some kind of dual-boot for both 2.5.8 and 3.x in the same machine. Like Duokan or something like Duokan-lite which is launched from launch-pad. I know access to FAT is slow, but sometimes i want to play some of the kindle games and i don't want to turn back to 2.5.8 just for this.

I am already more than glad for what you did for us and it is just a suggestion from a fellow who knows nearly nothing about the background of kindle.
What you proposed is possible, but I don't have the time to do it. I can tell you how and leave the implementation to the reader.

First, you need my custom kernel and mount the NAND via USB. In Linux, delete the Vfat partition, create a 500MB ext2 partition and another smaller Vfat partition. Then dd the image to this new partition (2.5.8 or 3.2.1). Now here's the first hard part, make a duel boot script that remounts the rootfs if the user wants. The second hard part is changing some offsets hard coded in the filesystem. I don't know if this is required, but I havent done this before.

Now about those bugs. The long wake problem is caused by the power management. I think a solution is to port the kindle 3's kernel to kindle 2. This is hard because the CPU changed and amazon removed the old CPU support from the new kernel. Another way is to use the old powerd daemon from 2.5.8, but I tried it and the kindle crashed when it tries to sleep. I suspect some incompability with the newer scripts, but don't have the time to disassemble the thing.

The active content bug is caused by the kindle downloading the content built for 2.5.8. You need to either change the serial number to a kindle 3 or find a way to remove the drm from the active content downloaded to a kindle 3 (no public method is aviable).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #282
maylin
Member
maylin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle, nookcolor
can't not get to restore menu

All,

My kindle updated to 3.2 was working fine except the volume control.

Now, I have restored back to 2.5.8 with "update_restore-os.bin" and I confirmed the physical volume control is working properly under 2.5.8.

I will update once again hope it will work properly this time.

Sincerely,
maylin

Last edited by maylin; 07-06-2011 at 11:16 PM.
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #283
reprep
Groupie
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 199
Karma: 6720
Join Date: May 2011
Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
What you proposed is possible, but I don't have the time to do it. I can tell you how and leave the implementation to the reader.

First, you need my custom kernel and mount the NAND via USB. In Linux, delete the Vfat partition, create a 500MB ext2 partition and another smaller Vfat partition. Then dd the image to this new partition (2.5.8 or 3.2.1). Now here's the first hard part, make a duel boot script that remounts the rootfs if the user wants. The second hard part is changing some offsets hard coded in the filesystem. I don't know if this is required, but I havent done this before.

Now about those bugs. The long wake problem is caused by the power management. I think a solution is to port the kindle 3's kernel to kindle 2. This is hard because the CPU changed and amazon removed the old CPU support from the new kernel. Another way is to use the old powerd daemon from 2.5.8, but I tried it and the kindle crashed when it tries to sleep. I suspect some incompability with the newer scripts, but don't have the time to disassemble the thing.

The active content bug is caused by the kindle downloading the content built for 2.5.8. You need to either change the serial number to a kindle 3 or find a way to remove the drm from the active content downloaded to a kindle 3 (no public method is aviable).
Thanks for the detailed answer. I don't have the enough knowledge to solve the hard parts you described and i don't have the serial cable which i might need in the worst case scenario. I will take a look into this after i got some more background info.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #284
broodingstorm
Junior Member
broodingstorm began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2011
Device: kindle
Hi! I think I've run into a problem and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I jailbroke my K2 then installed 'update_k2-2.5.8-prepare_kindle'. It started to update and I think it's now frozen. It's been over four hours and it's stopped processing at the mid-way point. It's in 'Vcreating image...' mode

This is a brand new (fresh out of the box) replacement K2 from Amazon so I'm hoping I haven't just bricked it. How do I get it out of this and working again? I obviously haven't done a backup because this was the software I needed to install to create the backup.

Honestly, I'd just be happy with getting 2.5.8 running again at factory reset. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

ETA: Yep, it's definitely frozen. Going into 8 hours now and absolutely nothing has changed. I don't understand, I followed the instructions perfectly. LOL - I didn't even get to a step that I thought I could possible screw up yet. I'm truly hoping this isn't bricked now. Help?... Anyone?...

UPDATE: I managed to force the K2 into recovery mode with an error code of 003. I was able to restart and then did a factory restore back to 2.5.8. Upon restart, it froze in the settings menu then shutdown. After several attempts at a restart, it finally did and now seems to be running fine. Phew! I'm just relieved to have a working Kindle again.

Last edited by broodingstorm; 07-07-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: update on update
broodingstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #285
maylin
Member
maylin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: kindle, nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylin View Post
All,

My kindle updated to 3.2 was working fine except the volume control.

Now, I have restored back to 2.5.8 with "update_restore-os.bin" and I confirmed the physical volume control is working properly under 2.5.8.

I will update once again hope it will work properly this time.

Sincerely,
maylin

I updated to 3.2 once again and lost the volume control.
As much as I love 3.2's web browser, it is hard for me to live without a fully functioned TTS.

Not sure the cause was 1.the update 3.2 bin that I got from, or 2. the kindle I have.

Nevertheless, thanks to yifan's great work that allow me to experiment.

Last edited by maylin; 07-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
images for Kindle & ipad Kindle (or tablets) hapax legomenon Kindle Formats 0 03-10-2011 10:54 PM
Kindle & Tech formatted kindle books? Ncage1974 Amazon Kindle 7 02-09-2011 10:03 AM
Possible Kindle for PC & Kindle for iPhone Issue(s) Nyssa Amazon Kindle 6 12-31-2010 03:58 PM
Kindle vs Kindle for PC vs print books & old lady eyes bert501 Amazon Kindle 30 11-19-2010 08:59 PM
did kindle 2 get updated with kindle 3 zoom and contrast adjustment software? med007 Amazon Kindle 1 10-15-2010 10:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.