Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #106
gmon
Junior Member
gmon began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2007
Device: ipaq kyros nookcolor archos
I buy ebooks. I do not buy hardcover or softcover books anymore. If an author does not have their work published as ebooks, I write the publisher and/or the author and request that they consider it. What infuriates me about Rowling's insistence not to have her work digitalized is her reasoning - she is afraid of theft, but only because she herself is a thief. She left her husband, went on welfare and was able to realize her dream of becoming an author. How nice for her. How many would-be successful writers have to actually work for a living and never get the chance to fully realize their ambition? I don't justify piracy, but I do justify giving hypocrites whatever they deserve.
gmon is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #107
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 39
Karma: 40
Join Date: Feb 2007
Come on gmon.. since when is being unemployed the same as stealing? We have a welfare system for a reason. Secondly, she certainly pays taxes now.

Anyway, aside from that I agree that it's frustrating that the book isn't available in ebook format. I have stopped buying pBooks also, and would certainly buy the harry potter book if it were available at a reasonable price.
donovanh is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #108
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nekokami's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,745
Karma: 551260
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northeast US
Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hm. That's quite a different interpretation of Rowling's biography than mine, at least. I see a woman who tried to get a job, was unable to do so, and used the time while she was looking for work in a productive way, which ended up getting her a new job (as a full-time writer). I don't know how the welfare system is run in the UK, but where I live, you have to show regular evidence that you're still looking for work in order to get that check.

And, as donovanh points out, she's certainly paying taxes now-- far more than she ever took from the system, I would wager.
nekokami is offline  
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #109
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,256
Karma: 1418786
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere on earth
Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, JBC, Onyx M92
Earing your money with books is far more honest then just having money and get interests.

Getting interest really means somebody else has to work for you ...
joblack is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 62,542
Karma: 40125051
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
"Loss" in this instance is an monetary term. It does not apply in this case. There cannot be any loss. She made the decision that her income from the ebook version would be zero.

Let me give an example. I decide to make ten chairs. I sell 8, one is broken in the store, and one is stolen. I have had a loss of two chairs.

Her ebooks have sold zero copies. She has earned zero pounds from them.
But she, as the creator of the book, has the right to decide in what forms it will be released - that's what "copyright" is all about: "the right to control copying". You may very well disagree with her decision not to release HP in eBook format, but you cannot deny her the right to make that decision. You have no legal or moral right to overrule her decision - as the creator of the work, it is hers and nobody else's to make.
HarryT is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #111
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,371
Karma: 3161371
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I was not going to post on this topic again, but your post annoyed me enough that I want to refute your allegation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But she, as the creator of the book, has the right to decide in what forms it will be released - that's what "copyright" is all about: "the right to control copying". You may very well disagree with her decision not to release HP in eBook format, but you cannot deny her the right to make that decision. You have no legal or moral right to overrule her decision - as the creator of the work, it is hers and nobody else's to make.
I did not say that. I only said that it is costing her no money. Here is part of one of my posts. Please read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

...

P.S. I just want to make clear that I have no illegal ebooks, music, etc. I am entirely opposed to stealing them. But I am taking the opposite position on this argument because everyone talks about stealing from JK Rowling when she won't take the money!
Everyone, if you are not going to read all the posts, please don't add any --especially repetitive ones.
Nate the great is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 62,542
Karma: 40125051
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
I did read your posts, Nate, and I stand by mine. Your analogy with making chairs is flawed, because in the electronic world someone can download for free a perfect copy of one of your chairs rather than buying a chair from you. You haven't lost one of your chairs, but you have lost the chance to sell a chair to that person.
HarryT is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #113
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,371
Karma: 3161371
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I did read your posts, Nate, and I stand by mine. Your analogy with making chairs is flawed, because in the electronic world someone can download for free a perfect copy of one of your chairs rather than buying a chair from you. You haven't lost one of your chairs, but you have lost the chance to sell a chair to that person.
I am not getting into this.

In the future, please do not accuse me of advocating criminal activities.
Nate the great is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 62,542
Karma: 40125051
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
You've entirely lost me - I haven't "accused" you of advocating anything. I was simply following up on an argument that you appeared to be making suggesting that, because HP eBooks are not commercially available, there is no economic loss to Ms. Rowling as a result of downloading said eBooks. I believe that to be a flawed argument because it neglects the situation where someone who would otherwise have bought a paper version of the book downloads it instead.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your viewpoint or your logic.
HarryT is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #115
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
yvanleterrible's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,501
Karma: 3600000
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Que Nada
Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
An author invests time in his creation. Time as we all know is worth a pile of bills, living expense, you have to pay to live. Any sale loss will reflect somewhere. Granted she is rich but the books are still hers, she and her publishers are the ones who have the rights to decide what becomes of the works. She had the good fortune of having talent, the appeal for her stories is proof. She didn't inherit old money she earned it, good for her...
yvanleterrible is offline  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #116
reycat
Enthusiast
reycat began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 31
Karma: 11
Join Date: Feb 2007
Device: PRS-505 + Hanlin V3
All I know... I bought my copy of HP7 on July 21st (I live in the Canary Islands... I don't think any other book has ever been released in English at its worldwide release date). I read it that same saturday.

The book won't be published in Spanish until about next February. However, there are already several translations which can be found in the Net (some of them quite good). I downloaded it and put it in my SPR.

Net result... My girlfriend, who wouldn't touch the Reader with a stick, now thinks it's the way to read. She is enjoying HP7 months before she was supposed to, and I have also enjoyed the fact that I can talk to her about the book right now

Of course, we will buy the Spanish version as soon as it is released, just to support the author. but e-reading is really much more comfortable.

Since we are buying two copies of the book (one in English and one in Spanish) I don't feel I'm doing anything unethical by downloading the translation, no matter what Ms. Rowling thinks. It's just a matter of convenience.
reycat is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #117
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Alexander Turcic's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,094
Karma: 10000048
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Switzerland
Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
If you are interested, here is a quick interview with the people who transcribed Deathly Hallows and released it on the Net: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12520
Alexander Turcic is offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #118
nooming
Junior Member
nooming began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2007
Device: Asus P525
I enjoy for ebook and hard cover in Harry P7.

I have all of them.. Let's go read it now.
nooming is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #119
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 75
Karma: 361
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan View Post
But it should be clear, even to JK Rowling, that there's always going be piracy no matter what you do. The best way to minimize would be to release an official e-book version. Maybe with Harry Potter Book 7?
I've already come and gone from a different piracy thread, and I know this thread is quite old, but I wanted to address this specific idea.

I disagree with the conclusion that Rowling (or any author) should do anything of the sort just because piracy is inevitable. If people are going to pirate the product any way, make them do the work, don't help them. The author should decide for themselves based on what is in their personal long term self interest and their own principles whether or not to authorize the release an ebook format.

I personally regret that she opposes the ebook format (for whatever reason), but I certainly understand an author's reluctance to give any kind of sanction, to include making it easier for pirates steal, just because the theft is inevitable. This is like telling the robbery victim to carry a knife with them to give to the robber in case they get robbed. And while your at it, display your money on the outside of your clothing to so it will be easier to for the robber to steal.

Piracy may be inevitable, but it is still taking that which is unearned without the rightful owner's permission. I applaud authors who do not give an inch to such animals. I think too few people understand the importance of this principle in a time people think that there is some good being served by not being 'judgemental'. The easier and more 'acceptable' it becomes to steal, the more it will happen.
rationalbiker is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #120
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
NatCh's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,605
Karma: 926222
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Republic of Texas Embassy at Jackson, TN
Device: Nook STGR
I see what you're saying, rationalbiker, and I agree with the principal.

However, I think what Colin was saying is that there is clearly a demand for an e-version of the HP books, and that he believes (as I do) that most of the folks who downloaded the illegal e-version would have instead paid for a legal one, had it been available -- I certainly would have. From that point of view, what Colin was saying makes rather a different point from the one you're addressing.
NatCh is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
harry potter, irc, piracy, scanning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry Potter Pirated Editions on Kindle Again poohbear_nc News 144 08-28-2009 04:32 PM
Wired.com on Harry Potter e-book piracy Alexander Turcic News 3 07-22-2005 12:12 PM
New Harry Potter book "accidentally" leaked Colin Dunstan Lounge 9 07-13-2005 12:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.