Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Writing disappears from a note

One problem I have when taking notes is that a major part of my scribblings suddenly disappear. Sometimes they reappear later when I add a page to the note and go to the next page but then come back to the first page. But if I add something my text will disappear again. Always leaving just a small part at the very beginning. Saving and reopening doesn't help. Any ideas? I am on R3 using DR800+.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold
 
Posts: 998
Karma: 19985
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Netherlands
Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
One problem I have when taking notes is that a major part of my scribblings suddenly disappear. Sometimes they reappear later when I add a page to the note and go to the next page but then come back to the first page. But if I add something my text will disappear again. Always leaving just a small part at the very beginning. Saving and reopening doesn't help. Any ideas? I am on R3 using DR800+.
This sounds like a problem that was also reported for dr1000-hackx. Although the symptoms sounds a little different. It has to do with the clock updates. Although it does not explain the disappearance after a saving and reopening.
The DR has a special display that allows to quickly write data to the display (with some limitations). The Notepad application makes us of this, by directly writing the scribbles to the display, without writing them into the 'gtk-screen-buffer'. When a page is switched (or page is added) all the internal data is written to the gtk-buffer which triggers a (full-screen)-write to the display. This clears the previously written data and shows the data in the gtk-buffer. However updating the clock also triggers a screen-update, but since the current-scribbles are not yet written to the gtk-screen-buffer, the old content is shown, removing the latest scribbles.
I have a patch for the dr1000, maybe Iņigo or someone else has time to integrate it into the dr800+ version and see if this solves the problem. Till that time the only thing that helps is disabling the clock or switching pages (showing menu could also help, but I did not try that).

If you can not add any scribbles at all (at least they are not added after a save/reopen) for one specific file, the problem could also be related to a corrupt file. A notepad file is basically a sqlite-database file, if the file gets corrupt, the DR does not have a mechanism to recover from it. There might be some tricks with using the VACUUM command or dumping and then importing the database in a new file. Something like: sqlite3 note.notepad ".dump" | sqlite3 note_ok.notepad.

PRAGMA integrity_check; should be able to tell if the file is corrupt.

I do not know what your technical/computer skills are so please ask for more help if you need it.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
[...]
I have a patch for the dr1000, maybe Iņigo or someone else has time to integrate it into the dr800+ version and see if this solves the problem. Till that time the only thing that helps is disabling the clock or switching pages (showing menu could also help, but I did not try that).
[...]
I'll try to take a look at it this month (and also to release a new version).
Sorry, but I'm very busy at work these months.

Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 06-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Would be great if someone can have a look at it, even if not I still want to thank all of you for your help.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Would be great if someone can have a look at it, even if not I still want to thank all of you for your help.

Mackx's patch applied: https://bitbucket.org/inigoserna/dr8...t/4be5c64d55a8
Tell me if this fix your problem.


EDIT: I attached the file. Download the .zip, uncompress and copy the "popupmenu.dr800+" file to the DR800+ package in the "_dr800+/new" directory. Then run DR800+ installer once to restore original firmware, and then again to install the DR800+ version.

Iņigo
Attached Files
File Type: zip 0.zip (34.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 06-18-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Attached new popupmenu binary
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Mackx's patch applied: https://bitbucket.org/inigoserna/dr8...t/4be5c64d55a8
Tell me if this fix your problem.


EDIT: I attached the file. Download the .zip, uncompress and copy the "popupmenu.dr800+" file to the DR800+ package in the "_dr800+/new" directory. Then run DR800+ installer once to restore original firmware, and then again to install the DR800+ version.

Iņigo
I tried it and the situation is as follows:

As long as I am just writing on the first page of a note it is fine (before your improvements that didn't work either). But if I press on the eraser button (I haven't used the eraser yet, just activated the button) or open a new page in the same note, or go to the home tab (and come back to the first page of my note) then all my writings disappear except for a small area (about 3x5cm) at the top left corner.

Before installing your new "popupmenu" it was sometimes possible to bring the notes back by adding a page and then returning to the first page. Now the notes seem to be totally gone.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I tried it and the situation is as follows:

As long as I am just writing on the first page of a note it is fine (before your improvements that didn't work either). But if I press on the eraser button (I haven't used the eraser yet, just activated the button) or open a new page in the same note, or go to the home tab (and come back to the first page of my note) then all my writings disappear except for a small area (about 3x5cm) at the top left corner.

Before installing your new "popupmenu" it was sometimes possible to bring the notes back by adding a page and then returning to the first page. Now the notes seem to be totally gone.
Don't know what to think... Mackx's patch only blocks clock updates when in notepad so it shouldn't affect other actions... It looks like a notepad bug.

Anyway, let's wait for Mackx.

LATER: I haven't been able to reproduce what you explain in my DR800, but it works without any problem here.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Don't know what to think... Mackx's patch only blocks clock updates when in notepad so it shouldn't affect other actions... It looks like a notepad bug.

Anyway, let's wait for Mackx.

LATER: I haven't been able to reproduce what you explain in my DR800, but it works without any problem here.
So what do you suggest, a complete reinstall of the firmware and DR800+?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
So what do you suggest, a complete reinstall of the firmware and DR800+?
does the same happen for every notes file or just for one?
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Strangely enough, I tried it again late yesterday evening (and again early this morning) and now everything works exactly the way it should. Thanks so much for your help. This DR800 is getting better over time.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Strangely enough, I tried it again late yesterday evening (and again early this morning) and now everything works exactly the way it should. Thanks so much for your help. This DR800 is getting better over time.
good!
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Language' specification disappears? jttraverse Sigil 7 05-23-2011 05:27 AM
EEE note EA-800 and Sony PRS-600 [Note-Taking] sunwillsetforyou Which one should I buy? 5 05-04-2011 01:14 AM
cover button disappears Arthursbedtime Conversion 11 03-04-2011 06:21 PM
Cancel: Calibre just... disappears! ZaZg Calibre 0 10-30-2008 09:47 AM
Adobe DE Disappears - Solution Mikesbook Sony Reader 1 09-08-2008 12:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.