Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
wallcraft's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,979
Karma: 5183568
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
FBReader with DRM support?

The FBReader code base has been scrubbed so that it can be "dual licenced", allowing a 2nd closed source version that includes support for one or more proprietary format (e.g. with DRM). However, Nikolay Pultsin indicates here that so far he has seen no interest from the owner's of proprietary formats in a FBReader version.

Many e-book providers are lacking either a Linux or a Java solution (FBReaderJ is under development). So a closed source FBReader version would seem to make commercial sense as an inexpensive way to expand the market for a given format.

FBReader has rudimentary EPUB support, and this will improve over time. Adobe has the biggest stake in EPUB, and they would benefit from making their DRM "standard" for EPUB. So a FBReader version with Adobe DRMed EPUB would go a long way to pushing this new format.

MobiPocket supports many device types, but not Linux (except when it is tied to specific hardware, e.g. the iLiad) or OS/X. FBReader already has very good support for DRM-free MOBI files, and adding DRM support would help solidify the leadership position of this format (despite its significant technical shortfalls).

To make it a stronger competitor to MobiPocket, eReader needs to be available on the widest range of devices and FBReader would quickly and inexpensively add new device support. Both eReader and EBookWise are owned by FictionWise, so perhaps FBReader can also provide an upgrade path for EBookWise. However, I'm not sure how closely the IMP format is tied to HVGA resolution and how this might effect portability.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 62,528
Karma: 40001915
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FBReader already has very good support for DRM-free MOBI files, and adding DRM support would help solidify the leadership position of this format (despite its significant technical shortfalls).
I hate to disagree, but I've found FBReader's support for Mobi files to be pretty awful - that's why I stopped using it on the iLiad. A few of the problems I found were:

- It ignored hard pagebreaks.
- There was no way of viewing the cover image.
- It didn't show you the custom Guide (navigation) items.

and a host of other minor "niggles". I didn't like it at all!
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,371
Karma: 3161371
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I agree. It does need a lot of work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.
 
Ebook lover's Avatar
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 11
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: O2
I think that FBReader is a great software to read books on the Iliad because it supports many different types of file format. Maybe it is a lack of resources or other reasons, the update patches of fixed bugs are not immediate enough. But I think the FBReader is great overall!

Right now, the main problem for FBReader is that it lacks the publicity like Mobipocket. Most e-book users know Mobipocket but not a lot of e-book users know FBReader. Perhaps someone should port FBReader onto different hardware platforms, such as Neolux NUUT, Sony Reader, Amazon Kindle, and Bookeen's Cybook, to make it become a more well-known e-book software. The reader itself is great, but not a lot of people know it.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.
 
JeffElkins's Avatar
 
Posts: 773
Karma: 1416
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: PRS 505 Blue/iPod Touch/Epic 4G/Nook Classic
I started that thread regarding non-drm .lit format support for FBReader. They decline because of DMCA issues.

I've only FBReader on three platforms: Linux x86, Arm Linux and Windows, it worked great on each.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Eugene Humbert
Junior Member
Eugene Humbert began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2008
Device: Nokia N800 Web Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
I think that FBReader is a great software to read books on the Iliad because it supports many different types of file format. Maybe it is a lack of resources or other reasons, the update patches of fixed bugs are not immediate enough. But I think the FBReader is great overall!

Right now, the main problem for FBReader is that it lacks the publicity like Mobipocket. Most e-book users know Mobipocket but not a lot of e-book users know FBReader. Perhaps someone should port FBReader onto different hardware platforms, such as Neolux NUUT, Sony Reader, Amazon Kindle, and Bookeen's Cybook, to make it become a more well-known e-book software. The reader itself is great, but not a lot of people know it.
I'm using FBReader because it's the only one available for the Nokia N800 or N810 Tablet. I love this thing... I have wireless networking in my home, and I can go in any room, sit down, and use this to browse, read mail, or just sit and read a book. I've been sticking mainly with the .html versions of most books because the images are at least available with that format. Unfortunately, most formatting, and most links DON'T work. Some do, most don't. All in all, I'd love to see a MOBI reader for the N800, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I ditched my palm because it was too small for my old eyes. The N800 is just right!

Gene
Eugene Humbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,371
Karma: 3161371
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Humbert View Post
I'm using FBReader because it's the only one available for the Nokia N800 or N810 Tablet. I love this thing... I have wireless networking in my home, and I can go in any room, sit down, and use this to browse, read mail, or just sit and read a book. I've been sticking mainly with the .html versions of most books because the images are at least available with that format. Unfortunately, most formatting, and most links DON'T work. Some do, most don't. All in all, I'd love to see a MOBI reader for the N800, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I ditched my palm because it was too small for my old eyes. The N800 is just right!

Gene
Did you know that non-DRM Mobipocket can be read with FBReader?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.
 
Posts: 1,906
Karma: 15348
Join Date: Jun 2007
Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Humbert View Post
I'm using FBReader because it's the only one available for the Nokia N800 or N810 Tablet. I love this thing... I have wireless networking in my home, and I can go in any room, sit down, and use this to browse, read mail, or just sit and read a book. I've been sticking mainly with the .html versions of most books because the images are at least available with that format. Unfortunately, most formatting, and most links DON'T work. Some do, most don't. All in all, I'd love to see a MOBI reader for the N800, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I ditched my palm because it was too small for my old eyes. The N800 is just right!

Gene
I too am using Fbreader on my N800 as, like you say, it's the only reasonable game in town unless one installs KDE or takes the GVM route. Bleeeeech on either of those options.

I have been frustrated with FBreader lately as it forgets where to find content or seems to get stuck with a cached library list. Of course I keep my books on the external card which is where FBreader seems to have it's issue. The issue is on the bug list...I just d/l'd a bunch of new books and of course FBreader no longer can find either MMC1 (external card) or MMC2 (internal card). So, it appears I will need to, once again, uninstall and re-install. Last time I had to completely re-flash the tablet OS to fix the issue. Not a lot of fun...

So, for me when the app works, it is GREAT and does a fine job on .mobi format books. But when it gets this issue, it's a POS and bugs me no end as by this time this issue should have long since been fixed. Then again, while I realize it's a free app, this is also why such apps are not the future...the open source comunity is so fragmented, tempermental, clique-ish and at the same time anarchistic (ironic how it can be both, huh?) it seems few apps ever truly mature.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,991
Karma: 3726689
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Linköpng, Sweden
Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad 2, Notion Ink Adam Qi, Kindle WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I have been frustrated with FBreader lately as it forgets where to find content or seems to get stuck with a cached library list. Of course I keep my books on the external card which is where FBreader seems to have it's issue. The issue is on the bug list...I just d/l'd a bunch of new books and of course FBreader no longer can find either MMC1 (external card) or MMC2 (internal card). So, it appears I will need to, once again, uninstall and re-install. Last time I had to completely re-flash the tablet OS to fix the issue. Not a lot of fun...
Are the disks unmounted if you try to look at them in a xterm? I wonder if I saw something similar with FBReader on my n810. I seem to remember a program not finding the disk but I just tried to access the disk from the filebrowser or something like that and it helped. Or maybe I remounted the disk.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.
 
Posts: 1,906
Karma: 15348
Join Date: Jun 2007
Device: mine
thanks I'll try remounting them. It's a weird thing because it works for a while then suddenly it stops finding the card so it makes sense there is something in how the card is mounted.

My initial though has been to just rename the files in the .FBReader dir and re-install. I have a suspision something in a file is outta whack. It could be related to how the program can sometimes simple not save any config changes.

Anyway, I will give it a shot a bit later tonight and post what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.
 
Posts: 1,906
Karma: 15348
Join Date: Jun 2007
Device: mine
tompe:

well, seems as if re-mounting the card addressed the issue for this microsecond. It even finds books in subdirectories again. If that needs done now and again, easy enough. Annoying but easy enough. But ya never know if some other app caused the prob...or can it? Not being very experienced with Linux I have no idea about even the simplest of issues. pretty sure I can kill a Linux setup but have no doubt I can't fix it...heh-heh...

Thanks for the help!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drm, fbreader

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fbreader and DRM divory PocketBook 1 01-16-2010 02:50 PM
Updated Contentbrowser with FBReader support Adam B. iRex 46 08-22-2009 03:17 PM
Is there a way to uninstall the FBReader 0.8.14 with Registry Support? genome2k iRex 2 09-22-2008 05:35 PM
FBReader 0.7.3c adds support for OpenZaurus MishaS Reading and Management 0 04-28-2006 01:21 AM
FBReader 0.7 released with Plucker support MishaS Reading and Management 7 11-23-2005 11:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.