Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
ottocrat
Bookish
ottocrat doesn't litterottocrat doesn't litter

Device: Psion 5, Palm Tungsten T2, Nokia N73, Cybook Gen3
My video mini-review of the Cybook Gen3

This is a bit self-indulgent, but FWIW here's a short video review of the Cybook Gen3 (in two parts): part 1, part 2. Who knows, someone might find it useful.

Last edited by ottocrat; 03-13-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: b0rked link
ottocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
It's saying I don't own this playlist.

Perhaps you have used the wrong link?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
ottocrat
Bookish

Oops, sorry about that. I've linked to the videos directly now, hope it works.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have you tried the embolden text feature, or turning off the flashing refresh feature? I'm very curious to see both.

Anyways, nice vids. It's always interesting to see various opinions. I'm probably the only person, but I actually LIKE that the screen is grey. I usually won't read paperbacks in bright sunlight (without sunglasses) because my eyes are so ridiculously sensitive to light, so I'm hoping the grey will help
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
ottocrat
Bookish

Yes, turning off the flash refresh does speed things up slightly - but only slightly - and it leads to some significant ghosting. The embolden text works well.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wonderful! First thing I've seen or read that actually allows me to see what it's like.

Should label it spoilers though, since it's sort of ruined the thrill I'll get when mine arrives :P

Seriously though this should get linked somewhere, along with a similar one for the Kindle, Sony Iliad etc in the "What should I buy" since it actually shows people what it's like.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Halk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocrat View Post
Yes, turning off the flash refresh does speed things up slightly - but only slightly - and it leads to some significant ghosting. The embolden text works well.
Does turning off the flash refresh mean what I think it means? In other words no black screen between pages?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Does turning off the flash refresh mean what I think it means? In other words no black screen between pages?
Yes, that's correct.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Very nice videos. Based on my experience with the iLiad, I think the cyBook is turning pages quicker.

Early on you mentioned how small and light it is, now that you've had a bit longer to play...errrrr.....use it, what are your impressions?

-many thanks,

Jeff (who's dying to get his cyBook)
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
DutchBoy
DutchBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Nice review. Every potential buyer should first see it!

To address the issue of the grey background: I think you definitely need a light source for (indoor) reading, would you agree?

As for the material you are able to read using the Cybook: I've found out there are e-books, and there are e-books. Hehe... let me explain.

You won't have much problems reading BOOKS. But you'd have problems reading PDF's. I, and many people, refer to PDF's as e-books. Bookeen doesn't make this distinction. It seems the Cybook won't even display the images in PDF documents if the images are too large (too page filling or too large in bytes, I'm not sure). I'd have to find a solution for this kind of "PDF format support". An alternative is to store these pages as images.

A question I have, is, what if I'd store a book (one image per page) in image format (like page scans, be it jpg or png or whatever format the Cybook supports) and store all image files in one directory for the whole book. How will this be shown in the library? Will it result in a browsing nightmare? Would there be a quick way to jump to page (image file) 300 for example?

Note: for the above, I'd prepare PDF files with exact size for the Cybook

Last edited by DutchBoy; 03-14-2008 at 01:54 AM.
DutchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #11
ottocrat
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Early on you mentioned how small and light it is, now that you've had a bit longer to play...errrrr.....use it, what are your impressions?
It hasn't got any heavier!

Seriously, its portability is *the* advantage of the Cybook over traditional paper books. Both as regards readability and navigability, 'real' books have it sewn up and the Cybook doesn't even challenge; but tucked into its leather case, the featherweight Cybook is very, very portable. I would like to shave a couple of centimetres off the x and y axes, that would make it easier to get into my pocket, but really I can't complain. I couldn't lie back in bed holding a large-print copy of War and Peace for a couple of hours!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
ottocrat
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchBoy View Post
To address the issue of the grey background: I think you definitely need a light source for (indoor) reading, would you agree?
Unquestionably - even more so than for traditional paper books.

Quote:
A question I have, is, what if I'd store a book (one image per page) in image format (like page scans, be it jpg or png or whatever format the Cybook supports) and store all image files in one directory for the whole book. How will this be shown in the library? Will it result in a browsing nightmare? Would there be a quick way to jump to page (image file) 300 for example?
To answer your second question, unless you store all the images in a single FILE you would find yourself with 300 separate files in your library! Which would be a nightmare to navigate! (Perhaps if you created an html index file with links to each image file... but I think that only works for html text.)

There are two distinct navigation problems: I have around 800 books on my 2 gig SD card (which is about half full) - these are completely impossible to navigate, it would take fifteen minutes to find the right file. Bookeen desperately need to introduce a nested folder navigation structure, and the possibility to search for a given file by title or author.

The second navigation problem is once you've opened a book. You can go to any given page, but unlike Mobireader for example the Cybook does not tell you which page you are currently reading; so it's guesswork (though of course you can bookmark pages).

Last edited by ottocrat; 03-14-2008 at 03:29 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Yes, but at the expense of "ghosting". You really don't want to turn it off. After a few minutes of use, you won't even notice it any more.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocrat View Post
The second navigation problem is once you've opened a book. You can go to any given page, but unlike Mobireader for example the Cybook does not tell you which page you are currently reading; so it's guesswork (though of course you can bookmark pages).
But what meaning would page numbers have, given that they would be different for every font and font size? Your page 100 in a given book would almost certainly not be the same as my page 100. Given that I read a book at different font sizes to suit the lighting conditions, my page 100 in the middle of the day wouldn't even be the same as my page 100 in the same book in the evening. It really is an almost meaningless thing to display!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #15
ottocrat
Bookish

You have a point, but Mobireader (for example) repaginates every time you change font or font size, so you can always see where you are in a book at any given time, and I think this is useful. I suspect the Cybook's processor is not powerful enough to do this on the fly though. (Actually, that's nonsense, of course it's powerful enough to do that - if it can repaginate on the fly, then it can certainly list the page number on the fly...)